Biennial MOT tests

Soldato
OP
Some progress

My boss asked for a visit from our local MP as he had some concerns about various issues, and fair play to him he turned up at work.
A couple of the issues were MOT related, and especially the test being carried out every two years.
And again fair play to him, as he emailed the secretary of state and got a reply from Richard Holden (minister for roads and local transport) which he forwarded.

Some of the reply in reference to the consultation..

In the consultation, we have proposed changing the date of the first MOT for light vehicles from 3 to 4 years.
We have published an impact assessment alongside the consultation on the costs and benefits of this proposal which suggests that the change can be made with minimal effect on road saftey.
We welcome the contributions recieved that provide additional evidence for that assessment.
We are not proposing that MOT tests should take place every two years.
They will remain annual after the first test. However, looking to the future, we have asked in the call for evidence for views on how frequent MOT testing should be.
As the consultation has now ended, we will publish a summary of all the responses and how we propose to proceed in light of these responses presently.

Soldato
OP
Not sure where else to post this, so I'll stick it here

A customer came in today after losing control on a roundabout and said he'd hit the kerb and could we have a look..

kGspkGC.jpg

It's fair to say he'd hit it all right.
Now, it's either blind luck or divine intervention that the tyre is still holding air, but it somehow is!
The axle beam was also banana'd which must have made it an interesting drive :eek:

Soldato
OP
He reckoned he'd aquaplaned in the heavy rain.
I suggested he get a used axle (which should come complete with hubs, shocks etc) and we'd bolt it on so he could get back on the road.
It'll be interesting to see the state of the rest of the tyres when we do.
There's really no reason to aquaplane on a town centre roundabout "if" the tyres are good.

Soldato
OP
Luckily this car needed it's MOT today and not in a few days or weeks..

mYRydhZ.jpg

Easily sorted with a new banjo copper washer to stem the flow of brake fluid that had decided that it didn't want to stay in the caliper.

Anyone spot what's missing here?..

orizVFv.jpg

Associate
i reckon you have a garage up the road that causes all these faults parks them up and then after a few weeks brings them to see if they pass:)
although daughters galaxy came from lowestoft with a newish mot and maybe we wont go there ahem :(

Soldato
OP
More daftness.
I'm assuming that the owner had prepared his car in readiness for the MOT by replacing the front pads and discs, caliper, drop links and suspension arms, but he seemed to have missed something..

It's so common that people just don't check the whole of the tyre tread and are shocked when it fails for the above.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: VoG
Soldato
More daftness.
I'm assuming that the owner had prepared his car in readiness for the MOT by replacing the front pads and discs, caliper, drop links and suspension arms, but he seemed to have missed something..

It's so common that people just don't check the whole of the tyre tread and are shocked when it fails for the above.
Obviously cracks aren't good, but why is there a canyon in there. I could be wrong but it looked like it took quite a bit of effort to rise the wheel, mine have also rotated quite freely, I am watching with no sound do apologies if you mentioned something.

Soldato
OP
I had a weird customer states when I was working for Lexus.
The customer complained that his nearly new car was making a whooshing noise from under the seats when he pulled away and when he slowed down.
He was correct, it made quite a racket.
So after pulling the seats and carpet out, it transpired that there was a million BB's rolling around on the metal floor of the car, and I can only assume his kid had tipped them down there through an air vent or suchlike.

Associate
Your mot is only really valid at the time of it being inspected after that it is almost irrelevant to the state of the vehicle as deterioration can occur at any time in electrical and mechanical components. Regular checks and maintenance are what keeps things going. You could do away with an mot if the vehicle is fully serviced by authorised people on a regular basis (the same as an mot if you think about it). Small services can been done by competent people .

Back
Top Bottom