Biennial MOT tests

Soldato
My other favourite is people driving around with their wing mirrors in.

It just beggars belief, the fact that they've not even noticed that they're folded in just tells me that they're so oblivious to their surroundings that the mirrors aren't even required. I reckon you could restrict half of our drivers' field of vision to 15deg and they wouldn't even notice.

What worries me is that our company are wanting to switch to cameras rather than physical mirrors. Unlike mirrors they can't be adjusted. I like being able to adjust them as I tend to move them out and slightly down from where other drivers have them to give me a wider and lower picture from my driving position which reduces some of the blind spots.

Caporegime
What worries me is that our company are wanting to switch to cameras rather than physical mirrors. Unlike mirrors they can't be adjusted. I like being able to adjust them as I tend to move them out and slightly down from where other drivers have them to give me a wider and lower picture from my driving position which reduces some of the blind spots.

As a motorcyclist I absolutely detest those cameras. Given the absolute braindead drivers we have on our roads I need every single bit of intel I can get my hands on to ensure my safety, and mirrors are a great way to see if drivers are paying attention or not, and those absolutely unnecessary and retarded cameras remove that visibility.

I really think that VOSA needs to overhaul the driving test in this country, we've bred an entire generation of people who are only alive because of the alertness of others around them.

Man of Honour
As a motorcyclist I absolutely detest those cameras. Given the absolute braindead drivers we have on our roads I need every single bit of intel I can get my hands on to ensure my safety, and mirrors are a great way to see if drivers are paying attention or not, and those absolutely unnecessary and retarded cameras remove that visibility.

I really think that VOSA needs to overhaul the driving test in this country, we've bred an entire generation of people who are only alive because of the alertness of others around them.
Pretty big assumption there that these people have licences :cry:

Soldato
To be fair the main reason for needing to be able to adjust your mirrors are different driving positions. Having the camera at a fixed point removes that need. The cameras can also be super wide lensed with software correction to resolve the image distortion giving a way wider field of vision than a traditional mirror ever could.

Soldato
A couple of pics from today's testing..

How this hasn't blown out yet is a complete mystery..

fnTSgfr.jpg

r7HeAef.png

and a perfectly acceptable repair to a seat belt..

GObJOJW.png

NLSbUhO.png

and yes, somone had attempted to sew that patch thing onto the belt for whatever reason that I'm still unable to fathom out.

Some of these are absolutely mental :eek:

Soldato
What amazes me is people driving around with their phones stuck to their windscreen right in front of their faces. Like literally right in front, they almost have to look around it to see in front of them. Always women, every single time.

How these people manage to tie their shoelaces every day without hanging themselves is beyond me.
I'm guessing velcos shoes :cry: . I think licences get handed out in boxes of cereal these days looking at most drivers. Last night someone almost caused a pile up as they braked (to a halt) on a 50 road to let some pull across from the other side (who was in a filter lane so not likely to get hit). I don't understand the thought process of some of these people.

Soldato
OP
Great news!

First MOT test to remain at 3 years from registration and annually thereafter while government works to establish a programme of longer-term reform for MOTs.

Commissario
Great news!

First MOT test to remain at 3 years from registration and annually thereafter while government works to establish a programme of longer-term reform for MOTs.

That seems reasonable for now, as most people aren't daft enough to buy a new car and not get it serviced/maintained at least for the first few years, and there are an awful lot of people who do seem to take the attitude that once a car is out of warranty/past the first few years you do the bare minimum to keep it running (not to mention the idiots that think "MOT = Service").

Man of Honour
3 years is too long, most new vehicles are so cheaply made they are unroad worthy after 1 year.

Despite people laughing I somewhat agree, my uncles new car had a fuel leak and some other minor but shouldn't happen on a new car problems, my brother's new Golf had the climate control try to kill him and electric window problems, several colleagues who've bought new VW group cars recently have had serious driving aid failures and electric window problems. I know other people who've had oil or other fluid seeping issues, hard to diagnose electrical faults, hybrid regen failures, stop-start failure, etc. etc. on new cars in the last few years. ( Some of those on the same car).

I don't know about unroadworthy but definitely the standard of new cars leaves something to be desired especially since the start of the pandemic.

Last edited:
Soldato
They should have to be MOTed (by someone independent, not the dealer) within a week of being registered TBH.

Quite a lot of 3 year old cars seem to fail on stuff which has likely been there a long time. Bad wipers, headlight alignments, oil leaks, tyres, brakes etc

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They should have to be MOTed (by someone independent, not the dealer) within a week of being registered TBH.

Quite a lot of 3 year old cars seem to fail on stuff which has likely been there a long time. Bad wipers, headlight alignments, oil leaks, tyres, brakes etc
You think a brand spanking new car should have an MOT? and by someone other than the supplying main dealer?
That’s what a PDI is for, and as an ex PDI tech, believe me, you want manufacturer trained techs doing that job and not by some herbert who doesn’t know the product.
I’ve PDI’d thousands of new cars and found faults that you wouldn’t believe (trapped chaffed wires, ECU’s not plugged in, every sort of rattle when interior parts aren’t fitted correctly and the list goes on & on).

Soldato
You think a brand spanking new car should have an MOT? and by someone other than the supplying main dealer?
That’s what a PDI is for, and as an ex PDI tech, believe me, you want manufacturer trained techs doing that job and not by some herbert who doesn’t know the product.
I’ve PDI’d thousands of new cars and found faults that you wouldn’t believe (trapped chaffed wires, ECU’s not plugged in, every sort of rattle when interior parts aren’t fitted correctly and the list goes on & on).

JLR products mostly? :D

Soldato
Does the pdi not cover headlight alignment :p . I assume as a lot of things are based on targets there's a rush so some people won't be as though as others (and also depends on how bad the manager is).

Soldato
On a similar note, a very quick question that I'm hoping has a simple answer:

My car (with **21***) number plate is due for its first MOT "soon". But other than "soon", how do I know when? I've always looked on the online checker before and it just says no details held for MOT, so how do I find out when the initial verfication* (looking at @JonRGV250 posts, is this called a PDI?) was done, to find out when the MOT is due? as its not on the government/DVLA web site.

*A term I'm sure is probably not used in the car industry but I've borrowed it from elsewhere to try and articulate what I mean

Man of Honour
On a similar note, a very quick question that I'm hoping has a simple answer:

My car (with **21***) number plate is due for its first MOT "soon". But other than "soon", how do I know when? I've always looked on the online checker before and it just says no details held for MOT, so how do I find out when the initial verfication* (looking at @JonRGV250 posts, is this called a PDI?) was done, to find out when the MOT is due? as its not on the government/DVLA web site.

*A term I'm sure is probably not used in the car industry but I've borrowed it from elsewhere to try and articulate what I mean
Pretty sure it's based on first registration date so check your V5.

Soldato
OP
As tom_e says, it’s 3 years after first registration date, which will be on your V5.
A PDI is a pre-delivery inspection that’s carried out before the car is released to the customer and has nothing to do with the registration of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom