Biennial MOT tests

Soldato
Yup.
When he’s taken the caliper off, he’s for some reason twisted the hose before refitting it.
It’s way way too tight, and I’ve seen it before where the hose is so tight it actually applies the brake when on lock.
I guess when he put the caliper back on he rotated it in the same direction as he took it off, rather than opposite. It's ok though, most braking is done on the front axle :p .

Caporegime
Indeed, yes.
There's a massive shortage of motor trade staff, and it seems some companies will employ any old clowns to keep costs down.
Pre Covid, the wages were terrible, and given the time people had off and a had chance to look elsewhere, many left the trade and didn't return (and I'm talking very very skilled people).
During Covid I worked at a Mercedes dealership, and 7 out of 11 techs left!
Now employers are offering £10-15K over pre covid wages to get decent staff, but they've all gone and taken their skills with them.
No one is coming into the trade, and from what I've seen from work placement students etc, they seem to think it's all fine and dandy until they get their hands dirty or have to put any effort in and then they just give up, because effort.
I'd wager theres more talent in the OCUK motors section than there is in almost any garage anywhere in the UK these days.
Not that I'm trying to big myself up but I've had one sort of issue or another with work I've had done 'professionally' and zero problems with work I've done myself....

My old focus had the sump plug done up so tight I had to use a 2ft breaker on it, my MX-5's oil filter was so tight it took a half turn before it broke free, the rear arms were put on the wrong way around when I had my MX-5's bushes done, so annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Something to bear in mind for you JLR owners when getting an MOT..

5eBgOJL.png

That's a special notice from the DVSA that testers have to acknowledge before they can continue testing, although I guess most don't even bother reading them :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Does that mean the battery drain continues after the device has been disconnected?

EDIT: Oof Googling someone had it happening intermittently, which seems to be when they've taken it into the dealer for the regular service/MOT, took it back to the dealer to try and diagnose it which made it worse because the dealer was plugging stuff in and eventually ended up with a large bill because of what became a circular problem of the dealer trying to diagnose the fault their diagnoses was causing/exacerbating...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Saw this in a car park the other day. Looked like the car was in use. I was in a rush so didn't get more pics, but suffice to say that this gives an indication of the condition of the rest of the car (VW Eos):

y0C4UxJ.jpeg

Soldato
OP
Shock not doing much with it's oil on the outside, and slightly bulged tyre (the other side was the same)..

1AGJUsr.png

fmzNVoz.jpg

Different car
Slightly worn tyre and pads down to the metal..

aLmakRs.jpg

MqyAaMT.jpg

The customer had just bought this 306 without an MOT and I couldn't get it stop stalling while trying to test it.
So I had a quick look to see what the problem was..

9GiSjFn.jpg

No way I was touching that, but advised him to go look at some YouTube vid's of how to properly join the wires, and he came back in and it passed.

Man of Honour
(the other side was the same)

Whelp - I know it is mostly on the inside but still - one look at those tyres and I'd refuse to drive it until changed. I know most people aren't that mechanically minded or take much interest in their tyres, etc. but I just don't understand taking that little responsibility for it - they plainly don't look right even from the bits you can see from the front/side.

I ditched a set of not that old Turanza t005 because they had less cracking and perishing than that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Saw this in a car park the other day. Looked like the car was in use. I was in a rush so didn't get more pics, but suffice to say that this gives an indication of the condition of the rest of the car (VW Eos):

Not necessarily - the rear discs and hub are a bit more corroded than I'd like on the Qashqai but the rest is fine, not sure why both rears are that bad though while the rest isn't bad at all (2017 car on 40K miles).

(Discs are being changed when I have it in for MOT in July)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not necessarily - the rear discs and hub are a bit more corroded than I'd like on the Qashqai but the rest is fine, not sure why both rears are that bad though while the rest isn't bad at all (2017 car on 40K miles).

(Discs are being changed when I have it in for MOT in July)

No, I meant it did give an indication of the rest of the car. It was an absolute shed.

Soldato
OP
I’ll bite
Yeah the mot is too strict.

Should be one test every 5 years.

And that right there is the most stupid thing I’ll see on the internet today (that includes Twitter).
So by your logic (if I can call it that) me failing the above cars was too strict, and the above cars should have been allowed to carry on being used in that state for a few more years?
Still, with eejits with your attitude on the road it does explain why some people let their cars get in the state they do.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The sad thing is there's plenty of people who live with that outlook rather than just using it to troll on an internet forum. There's going to be a lot of sheds running around with dodgy MOTs these days I'd wager.

Soldato
Mot setup is not fit for purpose

Granted we’re heavy users on our fleet (taxis) but there’s couriers etc who do more a week than us).

Our fleet average was 2800 miles/car last week. And yes our local council are currently testing these yearly

Soldato
Mot setup is not fit for purpose

Granted we’re heavy users on our fleet (taxis) but there’s couriers etc who do more a week than us).

Our fleet average was 2800 miles/car last week. And yes our local council are currently testing these yearly
There's nothing stopping them being checked over more often though is there? I was going to suggest milage based too (maybe 10k), but then your taxis would be getting checked monthly (which probably isn't a bad idea).

Soldato
OP
Some more bulgy tyres (same car, and both front)..

v2Dd6Me.jpg

PMJMUXk.jpg

and the other side..

NQf4VHE.jpg

I had a look at the inside of the tyres when they were removed and there's signs of them being run under inflated, which I assume has caused them to go the way they have.

I did 9 MOTs today, and the only car that passed was a 1988 VW Polo!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom