BMW and M Power Owners

Don
I thought the 1 Series was a good alternative option, I'd be interested in what you thought of that. It's a much better manual option.
Presumably it's the same auto boxes in those as the current Minis, in which case the 7 speed getrag dual clutch was very good in a Cooper S I drove (a car you'd typically think would be something that would benefit from a manual), and the 8 speed aisin is supposed to be just as good

Soldato
I thought the 1 Series was a good alternative option, I'd be interested in what you thought of that. It's a much better manual option.

This is what I picture of when I think of the 1 series:

Really not a fan of the looks :(

If you could get the 128 Ti in manual I’d be all over it though.

Needs to have similar HP to the Cooper S engine for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
MHEV : googled cost of bm MHEV battery - $2K , interesting comments of keeping it trickle charging so it's not too run down, and, also, controversy over cayenne mhev battery warranty/cost.,
electric cars look more and more attractive.

The battery cost is just under $2k:

a) The 48 V battery does NOT charge when using a 12 V battery charger with the hood closed.When charging the vehicle using a 12 V battery charger, the 48 V battery is ONLY able to charge withthe hood open.

Caporegime
So basically, various companies do car amplifiers.

One such company is Bimmertech. They don't make theirs, however. They buy and rebrand Audiotec Fischer products: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/

Their amplifiers, some of which are designed to be drop-in replacements for the HK version, have digital signal processing and pretty comprehensive software, giving you control over phase, time alignment and EQ.

I did this in my 135i, which has the HiFi upgrade (HK equivalent for that model year) and it transformed the sound.

Audiotech Fischer even have some pre calibrated files, so all you'd need to do is set speaker distance from your seating position and the speakers will be EQ'd.

Another vote for Audiotec Fischer and/or Bimmertech. For around £600-£700 and a quick and simple swap out job, almost every HK BMW can be made to sound vastly better.

BMW actually put good speakers in most of their cars but skimped on the amplifier. Change that and its a revelation.

Caporegime
The digital dials do like nice but paying for one is another thing. I recently test drove a X5 with the old man and it had it done I believe as an update but annoyingly was programmed to show 50d on start up when was actually test driving a 30d. Attention to detail was missing on that update.
Some people do that on purpose though.............like sticking the wrong badge on the rear of your car

Soldato
Another vote for Audiotec Fischer and/or Bimmertech. For around £600-£700 and a quick and simple swap out job, almost every HK BMW can be made to sound vastly better.

BMW actually put good speakers in most of their cars but skimped on the amplifier. Change that and its a revelation.

I actually hate the HK system in my F90 M5 Comp, are you suggesting that I just need to swap out the amp to vastly improve it and its not the whole system thats crap?

Caporegime
I actually hate the HK system in my F90 M5 Comp, are you suggesting that I just need to swap out the amp to vastly improve it and its not the whole system thats crap?

People on Bimmerpost say that replacing the two under seat subs (1 hour to do) is an additionaly worthy upgrade as well but basically changing the amp and having DSP and adjusting the equaliser will vastly improve the sound quality.

Or none rebadged but wont come with any profiles set up

I got mine on Ebay for £600 two years ago but looks like they have gone up in price a bit

To get full sound upgrade some people go with the full Bavsound speaker upgrade as well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Needs to have similar HP to the Cooper S engine for me.

Looks like although there are a lot with a manual gearbox, they are all the 3 cylinder 1.5. Once you look at the better engines the situation is the same as the 3 Series, everything is auto. If you didn't like the auto in the 3 series you definitely won't like the one in the 1 Series :D

Soldato

The HK speakers are quite decent actually. It's the tuning of the amp which isn't quite spot on.

Upgrading the HiFi amp and adding the DSP has transformed my 135i into having the best speaker system I've had in a car. Sounds so clean and neutral. Cost me £550.

By comparison, I upgraded all the speakers in my S5 from the B&O to really high end stuff, costing me about £1200. It still sounded poor due to the rubbish amp tuning.

Edit: I wouldn't change underseat subs, only because you'd likely only change them for the earthquake stuff, which is tuned for lower frequency output but not as much punch.

HK underseat subs, with the right EQ to remove the 100-200 Hz gain, will integrate much better with the rest of the system.

Also, if you change any speakers, you can't use any preconfigured EQs from Bimmertech or Audiotech fischer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like although there are a lot with a manual gearbox, they are all the 3 cylinder 1.5. Once you look at the better engines the situation is the same as the 3 Series, everything is auto. If you didn't like the auto in the 3 series you definitely won't like the one in the 1 Series :D

I haven't spent any time with it in the 1 series, but I have heard it isn't great.

I've tried speaking to all local BMW dealerships for an extended test drive in a 3 series but they've no interest at all. They just spend 15 minutes trying to talk me out of buying a manual instead of letting me try an auto.

Soldato
Thanks @MrRockliffe and @Greebo. Ive never messed around with car audio (so excuse the noobness) but looking at the F90 HK system it says its a 16 channel system but looking at those amplifiers, they are 10 channels, how do you cater for the missing channels?

Edit: Looks like you cant get the Helix SDMI25 any more

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks @MrRockliffe and @Greebo. Ive never messed around with car audio (so excuse the noobness) but looking at the F90 HK system it says its a 16 channel system but looking at those amplifiers, they are 10 channels, how do you cater for the missing channels?

It depends on whether they're 16 discreet channels (unlikely) or whether some are powered by the same channel (more likely).

Back
Top Bottom