BMW and M Power Owners

IC3

IC3

Soldato
And the motorway use is a regular thing? If so the 530d might be better, but you run the risk of issues and more expensive parts and refuelling.
No long motorway journeys, those would be rare, holiday travel to the beach or to visit some friends that live further away.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No long motorway journeys, those would be rare, mostly holiday travel to the beach or visit some friends.
I don't think the 530d would be a wise investment then. If it doesn't get up to temperature regularly then they're not being used at their best. Considered a 530i instead?

Man of Honour
Now the question is, what would be better 530d or 540i. :confused:

Personally, I prefer the 530d which is one of the reasons why when I decided to move away from my 530d I didn't go for a 540i. I think the diesel suits the car a bit better, but either are fantastic engines and the fuel consumption disadvantage of the 540i probably isn't much of an issue for low mileage but the diesel engine might be.

So, I'd probably pick the 540i.

I wouldn't want a 530i unless it was a particular bargain. This car does not suit a 4 cylinder engine.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I don't think the 530d would be a wise investment then. If it doesn't get up to temperature regularly then they're not being used at their best. Considered a 530i instead?
The current F30 330d was used like this for 6 years, with 4 euro trips. Average MPG during daily use was around 34-35mpg. I did oil + filter every 5k, air filter and fuel filter every 10-15k along with a quick check around to see if everything is ok. BMW has to be at least 6 cylinder, especially in a 5 series and 4 cylinders from BWM aren't exactly renowned for their reliability...
It'd be 540i for me but I suspect you might be looking for a while to find the right one
My dad has been looking at 540i's for awhile, you either have to overpay or be ready to commit ASAP.
Personally, I prefer the 530d which is one of the reasons why when I decided to move away from my 530d I didn't go for a 540i. I think the diesel suits the car a bit better, but either are fantastic engines and the fuel consumption disadvantage of the 540i probably isn't much of an issue for low mileage but the diesel engine might be.

So, I'd probably pick the 540i.

I wouldn't want a 530i unless it was a particular bargain. This car does not suit a 4 cylinder engine.
Would you mind expanding on why 3.0D suits it better? Just a guess, but would it be that 3 series is more sporty compared to a comfort oriented 5 series? What mileage and type of driving do you do daily?
540i for sure. You don't do the mileage and it'll actually be a hoot to drive.
I won't drive it, well occasionally - I hate driving other peoples cars/bikes. My dad is looking to buy something, not me. I work remote, my last 4 cars all cost me 500 quid or less, I use my car 1-2 a month, but sometimes its parked up for 3 months without moving.

I did have a M140i Stage 2 tuned back in 2021, but that car was too tempting and it was really easy to hit speeds which get you a court summoning.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still not sure what to get next. Currently own. BMW 120d e82 coup m sport, previously I had a BMW 320d

Priorr to that I had golfs.

Issue with the BMWs im finding is even though I stick to maintaining service early, things like gearbox, clutches are quite stiff and clunky , they both cars have let me down on this.

Also I don't know what to do about petrol Vs diesel, I have not owned a petrol car for a long time although these days it's city driving with some motorway but it could change. Diesel engines usually last longer than petrol engines ? But diesel engines get caked up because of the EGR system.

I want something reliable , it's a toss up between Audi and BMW atm

Caporegime
I'm still not sure what to get next. Currently own. BMW 120d e82 coup m sport, previously I had a BMW 320d

Priorr to that I had golfs.

Issue with the BMWs im finding is even though I stick to maintaining service early, things like gearbox, clutches are quite stiff and clunky , they both cars have let me down on this.

Also I don't know what to do about petrol Vs diesel, I have not owned a petrol car for a long time although these days it's city driving with some motorway but it could change. Diesel engines usually last longer than petrol engines ? But diesel engines get caked up because of the EGR system.

A modern diesel has many more failure points than a modern petrol IMO. All the technology to make diesels cleaner and more frugal have done nothing for their reliability.

Man of Honour

If you want something reliable then you need to let go of the idea that the answer to your question is an old BMW or Audi.

If you do want an old BMW or Audi you need to accept that the cars are at the point in their life when they are going to start going wrong and things are wearing out and will require replacement.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want something reliable then you need to let go of the idea that the answer to your question is an old BMW or Audi.

If you do want an old BMW or Audi you need to accept that the cars are at the point in their life when they are going to start going wrong and things are wearing out and will require replacement.

I'm looking at a circa 2015/2016 or 2017 car

Granted it's not new.. but it's not catastrophicly old either if you pick one up with lower milage.

Soldato
A modern diesel has many more failure points than a modern petrol IMO. All the technology to make diesels cleaner and more frugal have done nothing for their reliability.

Yeh I know..problem is iv not owned a petrol car in such a long time now...I have no idea what the general reliability and longlivity of modern Petrol engines are like..

In most 2015-2018 or 2019 petrol engines (say BMW /.Audi) what sort of milage do they last to these days if you service them well?.

Man of Honour
In most 2015-2018 or 2019 petrol engines (say BMW /.Audi) what sort of milage do they last to these days if you service them well?.
my old car was a '63 reg 428i had no issues when i part-ex it for a '18 reg 440i in 2021
my current 440i has no mechanical issues so far *touch wood* the only thing i had to change was the sos battery which dies after 5 years or so on average

Man of Honour
I'm looking at a circa 2015/2016 or 2017 car

Granted it's not new.. but it's not catastrophicly old either if you pick one up with lower milage.

Not many low mileage 2017 cars are available for under 10k unless they are poor specification, high mileage or something else.

Unless the budget has increased, in which case fair enough.

Caporegime
my old car was a '63 reg 428i had no issues when i part-ex it for a '18 reg 440i in 2021
my current 440i has no mechanical issues so far *touch wood* the only thing i had to change was the sos battery which dies after 5 years or so on average
My 2015 428i GC has been utterly faultless is my near three years of ownership. Uses no oil at all between annual changes (it’s relatively cheap to get done and I don’t agree with the condition/use based changes) and has passed both MOT’s with nothing required other than tyres in Feb 2023 which I was expecting anyway. I’ve had the gearbox fluid changed in October last year too.

Back
Top Bottom