BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've not long picked up my first BMW. How do I adjust the angle of the passenger side mirror dip when going in to reverse? The angle is currently far too acute and I can barely see passed the rear wheel. In my previous Mercs you could adjust the mirror angle as normal while it was dipped and it would remember that setting. That doesn't seem to be the case here, and I can't find anything in iDrive settings to change it.

Google says that it should be possible, is not possible, and also that it's only possible via third-party coding, so not really much help there.

*Edit* - car is an M240i

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I've not long picked up my first BMW. How do I adjust the angle of the passenger side mirror dip when going in to reverse? The angle is currently far too acute and I can barely see passed the rear wheel. In my previous Mercs you could adjust the mirror angle as normal while it was dipped and it would remember that setting. That doesn't seem to be the case here, and I can't find anything in settings to set it.

Google says that it should be possible, is not possible, and also that it's only possible via third-party coding, so not really much help there.

What BMW is it?

You need the switch (to choose which mirror to adjust) to be in the right hand (driver) position, that should dip it when you reverse.

Edit:: sorry, do you actually mean how do you adjust the level it dips? Not sure about that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry yeah, should have added that - M240i.

To be clear, the switch is set correctly, and the mirror dips absolutely fine. The problem is that it dips too far and I need to bring the angle up maybe 10-20 degrees.

I looked into this as I had the same issue and came to the conclusion that the dip is fixed for some odd reason. Like you I’m relatively new to mine so I could be wrong

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I looked into this as I had the same issue and came to the conclusion that the dip is fixed for some odd reason. Like you I’m relatively new to mine so I could be wrong
Crazy - just did some Googling and apparently it's adjustable on Audis as well. Had no idea this was possible! Certainly isn't on BMWs without coding it in..

Last edited:
Soldato
Crazy - just did some Googling and apparently it's adjustable on Audis as well. Had no idea this was possible! Certainly isn't on BMWs without coding it in..
Yeah, coding seems to be the only solution I've found too, which is a bit poor really. It makes no sense why there's an option in the system to have it adjustable, but not controlled through iDrive UI...?

It now makes sense why, when I've seen people discussing dipped mirrors before, that there's been so much hate for them - they're borderline useless on a BMW as you can't easily adjust them to actually make them worthwhile.

Soldato
i know you're on the hunt for a new car, which is my point exactly...might as well use the funds to up the budget for the new car, and leave the tranny issues to the part-ex garage/next owner

I'm at the early stages of looking at the moment I need to search more.

I think after the master cylinder replace and bleed I won't be doing any further work on the transmission at this stage and will look for a replacement.

Man of Honour
I'm at the early stages of looking at the moment I need to search more.
I think after the master cylinder replace and bleed I won't be doing any further work on the transmission at this stage and will look for a replacement.

i'm assuming that would cost about £500? that's a decent chunk of money to spend on a car that you'll be selling in short order, no?

Soldato
i'm assuming that would cost about £500? that's a decent chunk of money to spend on a car that you'll be selling in short order, no?

The garage I go to is doing a master cylinder replace and bleed for £205. I'm also due an oil service.

If it resolves some issues I'm possibly looking to buy another car and keep this one until the end of its life. Not sure yet. Or I may use it to trade

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah, it was adjustable on my old Jaguars and Mercedes. Just put it in reverse, let the mirror dip, adjust the dip and then take it out of reverse and the car remembers the setting of the dip. Simples

Soldato
Are the laser lights genuinely that decent on the G20?

I've been trying to figure out what they do/how they work.

It seems like they're just the normal adaptive LED headlights, with lasers for >35 (?) MPH speeds where they increase range.

Can't tell if they have the ability to blank out parts of the beam?

Are the dipped beams brighter than the adaptive LEDs in the M Sport trim?

I've seen mixed reviews on them, some saying they can't live without them, some saying they don't miss them, some saying they never saw the lasers on.

Soldato
The laser side doesn’t add much other than the headlight design looking better. The adaptive LED side is what you want.

I’ve found the lasers only offer the same output as VAGs matrix highbeam setup and appear to have more restrictions to when they activate.

Last edited:
Soldato
In the current climate, am I an idiot to consider moving from my F21 M135i to an F87 M2 Competition? They seem like incredible value at the moment.

I've always had the itch to move, more out of curiosity than anything else. I have no experience of them, so I'd be interested to see how different it actually feels compared to my current car.

Soldato
In the current climate, am I an idiot to consider moving from my F21 M135i to an F87 M2 Competition? They seem like incredible value at the moment.

I've always had the itch to move, more out of curiosity than anything else. I have no experience of them, so I'd be interested to see how different it actually feels compared to my current car.

It's going to feel pretty different, as it is a different engine and better suspension setup.

In the short amount of time I've spent in an M3, I do prefer the N55 as an engine compared to the S55, if only for sound. The S55 sounds more fizzy and raspy, the N55 more throaty and growly. It's more old school BMW sound.

I think the M2 sweet spot is LCI non comp, as you get the N55 with LCI improvements, from memory.

Also, if you've got an auto, the DCT in the M2 will be a very different experience (in a good way).

Back
Top Bottom