Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It certainly will. EU countries have poor growth and are far too interested in giving more money to failing economies whilst further closing the economy to outsiders currently to the detriment of the UK. It is much better to be able to freely develop our economy without interference from the EU and get free trade agreements outside the EU.

Last edited:
Soldato

There's no substance in any of what he says, no meat on the bones. His conclusion essentially is "we don’t really know" and that's what he bases his optimism on because Project Fear hasn't come to pass. Well we haven't even begun negotiations yet so it's all just speculation.

Pretty much anyone can say anything at this point and one side or the other will desperately latch onto it to justify their cause. But all of this is like a gentle warmup before the grueling match kicks off.

It's not bigoted to try to protect your own country from people who try to come in and take advantage and people within who can't see the wood for the trees.

If you care to take a look at the news we never seen the likes of the amount of rapes and sexual assaults by immigrants like we did 5 years ago. Germany and Sweden are suffering the most.

Oh wow lol, conformation bias or what? Surprisingly rapists tend to try to hide their actions in front of other people and don't do it out in the open.

The point is and I know its a bit hard to grasp is that there isn't a tsunami at all, its happening yes but to make out its so utterly massively out of control is just wrong.
As I say if there was anywhere near as much as was made out it would be far more public knowledge and it just isn't.
Look at the reaction in Germany to one (completely unacceptable event) massive media coverage, massive effort to find the cuplrits. Because it was exceptional NOT normal

Caporegime
Because tomatoes are serious business to Italy

Seriously though its just a perfect example of the sort of issue we will face when attempting to negotiate a preferential trade deal with the EU.

And a good example of why it can be good for the UK to negotiate our own trade deals unilaterally outside the EU. The bigger market = better negotiations argument has its cons in the form of sub optimal positions designed to appease a whole variety of competing national interests among the EU member states.

Associate
And a good example of why it can be good for the UK to negotiate our own trade deals unilaterally outside the EU. The bigger market = better negotiations argument has its cons in the form of sub optimal positions designed to appease a whole variety of competing national interests among the EU member states.

It's common sense to me.

Soldato

Well it's going to be a trade off between potentially getting better trade deals with non-EU countries than we have at present, but getting worse trade deals with EU countries (assuming we leave the free market). How that balances out is going to vary from one sector of business to the next, with winners and losers - there's unlikely to be an 'everyone wins' solution.

Yes its a positive and a negative at the same time.
For sure you avoid issues that for the UK are irrelevant but equally things can be forced onto the agenda when dealing with the EU we didn't face before, such as a financial transactions tax on EU deals.

Soldato
I think some people posting on here today have had either too much sun, too much drink or a combination of both. Totally crazy off the wall remarks that bear no relation to reality whatsoever.

Let's just put it down to Bank Holiday madness.

Caporegime
If the EU starts to implode then the financial and political ripples will be felt globally not just in Europe and not just in the UK. I think too many people are thinking parochially in this thread and there is far more at stake than just us.

A lot of people don't care about anything more than themselves.

Permabanned

For imports yes but than many of our imports like food come from the EU. And most of our exports (services) are with the EU. There is no magical market that we can sell to that we wasn't selling to before with a decent deal.

So it starts today

"Theresa May chairs cabinet Brexit brainstorm at Chequers"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37219143

I wonder if we will see anything come out about what they "agree" should be our wish list (I doubt it).
Will be very interesting to see if there are any casualties over the coming months, I suspect the early 2017 date is set with a thought its going to take at least that long to get some sort of sensible concensus in place within the government.

I rather like my fruits, my spices, and rice too.
Do buy Local where possible, but often there is no local solution.

Well the edges are certainly getting blurred, things such as chilli farms now, but for sure some spices would never grow economically in the UK.

Seasonality is a big thing, we want all varieties all year pretty much, isnt going to happen with UK produced food.

My view on acceptable Brexit terms:

1) Still allowed free trade with the EU (point 3 below is the bargaining tool)
2) Able to setup own trade deals outside EU with no EU interference
3) Points based scheme for permanent or temporary right to live in the UK
3.1) Perm based on eg 200 points, being an EU BORN citizen gets you 195 so you need something else to get you the ability to permanently come. Jobs we need, such as farm labour would get you the 5 points, as would 2 generations ago a family member being british etc etc (-200 points for previous crime above a certain level)
3.2) Temp access 150 points, so Eu citizens would be able to come but not settle permanently
4) Welfare state only avavilable to these with perm residence, so 3.1 would get it, 3.2 would not
5) Contribution to EU not more then £150M per week, or zero/negligable contribution with a small tax on EU financial transactions taking place in the UK which is passed to Brussels
6) EU laws relating to trade to be passed into UK law for trade with EU only (eg things such as safety standards, non-bendy bananas ;) etc)
7) Right to enforce internationl law on illegals, ie if they come from France we send them back.

Should just about get the key stuff sorted :)

Caporegime

1) Still allowed free trade with the EU (point 3 below is the bargaining tool)
2) Able to setup own trade deals outside EU with no EU interference

and right there you've made a major problem.

say the uk makes a 0% tariff trade deal with china.

goods can now be shipped via the uk into europe avoiding any tariffs allowing china to flood the eu market and damage their economies.

Soldato

3) Points based scheme for permanent or temporary right to live in the UK
3.1) Perm based on eg 200 points, being an EU BORN citizen gets you 195 so you need something else to get you the ability to permanently come. Jobs we need, such as farm labour would get you the 5 points, as would 2 generations ago a family member being british etc etc (-200 points for previous crime above a certain level)
3.2) Temp access 150 points, so Eu citizens would be able to come but not settle permanently

And what about the UK born citizen who no longer wants to live in the UK but wants to move to somewhere like the south of France? Should they be bound by the same points system to enter other EU countries?

There are people born in the UK, who actually want to leave....they do exist :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom