BSoD 124: No overclocks?

Soldato
OP
Just happened again, out of the blue. I can't seem to 'force' it to happen no matter what I do.

I wonder if it's my PSU, it *is* about five years old now, do they start to get flakey as they get older? It's an Antec unit, but still... Would a 1155 CPU suck up more power or be more demanding than say, a Q6600?

Soldato
OP
When you refer to CPU voltage, is that Vcore? Looking in Bios, the changeable part is set to Normal, with a (what I assume is the default) value of 1.230v next to it.

EDIT: here is a pic of my CPU Core Voltage settings menu as it stands atm. Is there anything that I should change?
EZqlUKyl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
When you refer to CPU voltage, is that Vcore? Looking in Bios, the changeable part is set to Normal, with a (what I assume is the default) value of 1.230v next to it.

EDIT: here is a pic of my CPU Core Voltage settings menu as it stands atm. Is there anything that I should change?
EZqlUKyl.jpg

You are not overclocked atm you say - but 1.230v core seems a bit high to me for standard clock. You sure your not overclocked - what is your multi set to?
Try re setting bios to defaults and see if that helps.

Soldato
OP
Well, I never did do the screenshots, as when I got back from Canada it seemed to have sorted itself out. Cue completely BSoD-free computing and gaming from July until... well... now.

In the past week or two, this same problem is rearing its ugly head again. At a complete loss as to what's causing it still. Temperatures all seem above board and normal.

Will report back with a load of BIOS screenies tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
Question.
Does your motherboard have those presets like 'energy save', 'performance' etc?
If you have them andnit is set to 'performance' its basically an overclock.
I had this happen to me, didn't really read thru the mobi msnualband I set the preset to 'performsnce' on my asus board. I was quite surprised my stock 4770k went wtraight to 4.3 in turbo mode. I had no idea this was related to those presets until someone here on forums told me.

Soldato
OP
I'll check, but I don't recall seeing anything like that. (Gigabyte Z77-D3H).

I'm still running the factory BIOS version I think, reason being that I've had issues with newer versions in the past with no detecting of keyboard or mouse input...

Soldato
OP
Well, the F22b version seems to be happy with a keyboard and mouse this time, so that's all good.

However, when I changed the BIOS settings to what you suggested, I also decided to bump up my Sammy Greens to 2133 by raising the multiplier. I think I had about 3 BSODs after, one even when Windows was loading. Just turned it back down to stock and it seems to be running a lot better.

So I'm guessing the problem is either my RAM (which I hope not), or my PSU being unable to cope due to age. Any ideas?

EDIT: spoke too soon, it's just BSOD'ed again :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's hard to say,only way to know for sure is try another psu

Your ram should do 2133mhz also with 1.555v dram in BIOS,if not try 1800mhz

I think I'll order a new PSU then, just to be safe. Probably time now anyway.

Thinking of going for another Antec, I was looking at the new High Current Gamer 620w, would that be enough for an i5-3750k, 670GTX based build?

Soldato
OP
Ok, update: Tried it today with one stick in at a time, and it's BSOD'ed with each stick. I assume its unlikely for a matched pair of Samsung Greens to both be faulty?

Should I start looking at replacing the PSU now? Could it even be the mobo itself at fault?

Back
Top Bottom