BSoD 124: No overclocks?

Soldato
OP
So what do I do? Get HW Monitor and just check that? I'm running at stock RAM speeds (1600), so really if it isn't stable with that, then what is it?

Problem is, it can be completely random (or seem to be), when it happens. Gaming, browsing sites, it's even done it on the Windows Welcome screen, so there's no way I can replicate what happens while keeping an eye on HW Monitor.

I'll try changing the phase control to extreme, as that's the only setting that hasn't been touched thus far I don't think.

EDIT: when referring to 1800Mhz, was that your 'upper' or 'lower' limit that you could run your Greens at before it caused problems?

Caporegime
upper limit before gigabyte brought out improved bios's to run higher speed,before it simply wouldn't boot if higher than 1800mhz

you say your dvd drive randomly spins up ect? tried with it unplugged just to see if its interfering in anyway

Soldato
OP
upper limit before gigabyte brought out improved bios's to run higher speed,before it simply wouldn't boot if higher than 1800mhz

you say your dvd drive randomly spins up ect? tried with it unplugged just to see if its interfering in anyway

No, it only messes about when there's a disc in it, read errors and stuff. I think the lens is dusty or knackered or something. Will unplug it tho.

Ah right, yeah, well mine ran when I set the RAM to 2133 as a test, but crashed a lot more.

Permabanned
For me mate I'd look at trying to borrow a psu and some memory ( if of course possible )

There is obviously a problem with the current setup , only way to eradicate it or narrow down possible causes without costing you an arm and a leg would be to borrow.

And do one component at a time. Psu with your ram - test. Then report any issues. And so on.
And for now I'd use bios default or fail safe settings.

McstylisT

Man of Honour
Try running the memory on conservative settings like 1066 CAS9 for awhile see if it still happens - should help to narrow down if the memory is involved in the problem or not.

Soldato
OP
Quick update: Not gotten hold of a PSU yet as I've been without a car and my mate who has one spare lives over in Preston.

But in the meantime, I've been running the RAM on lower frequencies. First dropped down to 1333, and when BSoDs occured, dropped it again down to 1066.

Both seemed to be just as bad as when it was on 1600.

So, last night I put it back to 1600, and it must have BSoD'ed about 3 times last night before I gave up to it and went to bed to read a book (much more reliable!).

This morning was strange as, after a BSoD, the BIOS seemed to forget my boot order and booted from my other HDD (Vista drive) rather than the Win7 drive that was first in the order. Unplugged the Vista drive, then it booted into Win7 fine after that (with the Vista drive plugged back in).
From then on, PC BSoD'ed about 5 times in a row just after logging into my user profile, or shortly after.
This time it didn't, so I'm taking the time to feverishly write an update before the inevitable happens again.

Any more ideas on what it could be? Like I said, I should be borrowing a spare Corsair PSU within a week or so, so I'll be updating then. If the memory was just as bad on lower frequencies, does this point towards more the memory or the PSU? Could it even be a bad mobo?

Soldato
OP
Ok, finally gotten hold of the spare PSU from my mate, and it's still BSoD'ing.

Where do I turn now? What component should I be looking at? It's still a 124 code, so nothing has changed there.

Could it be temperatures? CPU and GPU temps have always been fine, but could it be mobo temps that are the cause?

Man of Honour
What are your VTT and IMC (VCCSA) voltages at? while rare sometimes you get this BSOD due to the range between them and VCore being too big - try to make sure that the VTT and IMC are within 0.05 of each other or closer and that neither of them are more than 0.3 lower than the VCore - however don't set them above 1.15 - if your having to go above that its probably not the cause of the issue.

EDIT: Kind of out of touch with this thread - have you tried running single sticks of the RAM and alternating between them to see if it goes away and/or if one stick is causing it?

Soldato
OP
Tried both on their own, still had BSoDs. Tried them in different slots too, same thing.

GPU isn't a problem as it was doing this with my old 275GTX

Doing it with both my old (nearly 5 years, if not over) Antec TruePower Quattro 850w, and a mates spare Corsair TX650w.

Knackered DVD drive is unplugged to eliminate that, still doing it.

I've done about an hours worth of MemTest testing in the past on the RAM, no errors found.

Soldato
At the minute, I'd be strongly looking at a dud board.
I had a Socket 939 board that was randomly hanging, which turned out to be duff caps. Never managed to get it to hang on memtest or burntest, but it dropped randomly when the machine was on and left.
It was older sure, but dud boards aren't unknown.

You could either buy a cheap B75 or similar board new or something used & tested from the MM.

CPU is very unlikely (But not unheard of mind...) to be faulty, and I don't think that the HDD is likely to be the cause of this error.

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Small update that may or may not be relevant, but I've had a desk fan pointing at it tonight, with the side panel off, and there's been no BSoD. Could just be co-incidence, because, as I said before, there's no way of telling when it is going to BSoD, and it's been this long without doing so before.

Wazza, I'll do that tomorrow, cheers for the heads up mate!

Man of Honour
It could be the VRMs getting warm causing voltage droop or something I guess. I know the early X79 UD3 boards had some issues with that but dunno if the Z77 ones do.

Soldato
OP
Well, my only thinking on the matter is that I have the Thermalright Silver Arrow cooler, which is a pretty big beastie with the two fans on. I'm just wondering if there's a bit of a dead zone underneath when it comes to airflow

Soldato
OP
Yes, both GPU and CPU temps are fine, I'm just wondering about temps on the mobo itself. Will carry on testing with a fan pointed to the mobo today. For the record, I'm using an Antec P280, but there's no intake fans. Just the stock 2 roof fans and rear fan, and a Thermalright Silver Arrow cooler with the 2 TR fans on that as well.

Back
Top Bottom