BSoD 124: No overclocks?

Soldato
OP
what bsod? 124 still? that's more cpu vcore

Samsung green should run ok,mixed or matched batches

I've raised CPU vcore as per your posts in the past and never seen any noticeable improvement.

EDIT: set a few things back to what you mention earlier in this thread, we'll see how I get on.
EDIT 2: Seemed to do ok for a while then BSoD'ed as I was just browsing the internet. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, things seem to have improved.

Raised CPU Core Voltage to 1.240, and it seems to have worked, touchwood. Could have sworn I had raised it to that in the past with no improvement, so we'll see.

Soldato
OP
Happy to report that after another evening of hammering games last night that I've encounters no BSoDs. I think (hope) this problem is finally fixed.

Massive thanks to Wazza and all else who posted in this thread for all your help!

Soldato
OP
Lol, just when I thought I had gotten rid of the problem, guess what rears it's ugly head.

Bumped up cpu core voltage a little bit more as it seemed to improve a lot. Could a high core voltage cause any damage? Just so I know.

Soldato
OP
It's now at 1.25, and its not overclocked, although I could if I so wished. CPU-Z says I'm running at 3.8Ghz though, is that normal? Not sure if that's actually Turbo mode automatically kicking in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
After 2 BSoDs today, I bumped it up to 1.260. Just had another BSoD now, so bumped it up to 1.280 as i'm getting sick of it.

If it BSoDs on that voltage, at stock 3.8Ghz, surely there must be something else going on?

EDIT: just done it again. Once in the middle of a game, and the other after logging into the PC after the restart. WTF is going on!!?? Can't get anything done ffs.
EDIT2: And again, while doing that most demanding of tasks; browsing Facebook. That's what confuses me about this, it doesn't even need to be under load for it to BSoD. It seems worse now, than when it was at 1.250.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
CPU VTT was at 1.08. Tried setting CPU clock to 100 from Auto, but for some reason, when increasing the value, it automatically starts increasing it past a certain point, and doesn't respond to any input at all. Did it three times now, and as soon as I get past 95ish while advancing it, it stops responding to any input whatsoever and carries on advancing it on its own. I have to end up resetting the PC, so it's still on Auto at the moment.

It takes ages to increase clock, is there any way to increment it in bigger steps rather than by .01 every press?

Caporegime
The bclk? So 100x39 gives you stock CPU speed

You can manually type in 100 and save it

I think something other than CPU voltage is causing the crashes,but 124bsod is CPU v related,can also be CPU/vtt (memory controller) voltage

Soldato
OP
Loading the Optimised Default settings just puts everything back to Auto btw :p

I had set cpu clock to 100 this morning and literally got 3 BSoDs within 10 minutes of each other. But then again it had little episodes like that before as well. Don't think it's temps as CPU core temps are always fine (mid 20s, sometimes bumping up to mid 30s).

Guess I could try getting a new PSU, see what happens? I can't seem to hear any buzzing from it though, so unless the CPU power supplied is dipping every now and then which is causing the BSoDs, I dunno

Soldato
OP
Yep!

- i5 3750k @ stock (although turbo seems to be on all time @ 3.8)
- ThermalRight SilverArrow SB-E Extreme cooler
- Gigabyte Z77-D3H
- 2x4GB Samsung Green DDR3
- KFA GTX670 (can rule this out though; had these same issues on my previous GTX275)
- Antec TruePower Quattro 850w PSU
- Samsung DVD-RW drive that's on its way out (likes to click and whirr a lot when trying to read discs)
- 2x Samsung F1 Spinpoint HDDs (one 1TB, one 750GB), and a really old WD from an older PC of mine
- Antec P280 case

The PSU, DVD drive and the HDDs are the only things from my previous build, a Q6600 based one that, quite frankly, I want back as it performed flawlessly (apart from struggling a bit a times).

Man of Honour
Something I recently discovered and could be the fault is that many of the gigabyte 115x/2011 *3** motherboards have a problem where certain combination of RAM settings (I believe it happens in bands - do these platforms still have memory straps?) result in the board at complete random dropping the VTT and IMC voltages back to their default values for a short period regardless of what is set in the BIOS with the result of a BSOD though usually its a bit more random as to what crashes out but STOP 124, memory management and corrupt system files in memory STOP BSODs are the most usual.

Try setting the memory to timings that will be stable with default IMC voltages i.e. 1600 @ CAS9 and see if it goes away - if so you will need more tweaking to get the RAM stable at rated settings on the board.

EDIT: One way to check is to get HWMonitor and see what the VTT voltage is doing in regards to what is set in the BIOS and what the default is - if you see it randomly dropping back to the default level (might take anything from 5 seconds to 50 minutes to happen) it could be the problem.

EDIT: Oh hmm looks like you have 1600 CAS9 set :S

Last edited:
Caporegime
all I change in the bios whether stock or overclocked is

pwm phase control set to extreme performance
cpu/pci bclk set to 100 (can also try 101) whatevers more stable
vcore voltage response set to fast

everything else should be ok on auto (maybe set cpu voltage to normal)

for it to downclock at idle you need all power saving on or auto and balanced power profile in windows

for Samsung green I have mine at 1.55v dram and 2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t and stock 1.05v cpu/vtt

Man of Honour
for Samsung green I have mine at 1.55v dram and 2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t and stock 1.05v cpu/vtt

Will probably need ~1.064 VTT/IMC voltages to get 2133 @ CAS9 stable on the board he is using. (EDIT: Not sure IMC will need to be that high but VTT probably will need to be).

Back
Top Bottom