BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
Hey! Broadband has put done fibre in our street and is offering some good FTTP deals. Anyone had experience of them?
Thread here, might be some others.

Going to be like most alt-nets I assume.

Associate
I know BT market their FTTP as "unlimited" and there doesn't seem to be anything specific in their FUP, but does anyone have any experience with what their limit really is before they get mad on their consumer level packages?

Because I had crappy internet before most of my data-heavy work was done remoted into a Hetzner dedicated server but now I have 930/110 I want to move that data (20TB) back to my own network. If I downloaded it at uncapped speed it would only take 2 days, but presumably saturating the line for 2 solid days would be more likely to get flagged up, if I cap it to 125mbps and let it slowly download the 20TB over 2 weeks do you think BT is likely to care? It's a one time thing, not something that would need to be done again.

Man of Honour
I know BT market their FTTP as "unlimited" and there doesn't seem to be anything specific in their FUP, but does anyone have any experience with what their limit really is before they get mad on their consumer level packages?

Because I had crappy internet before most of my data-heavy work was done remoted into a Hetzner dedicated server but now I have 930/110 I want to move that data (20TB) back to my own network. If I downloaded it at uncapped speed it would only take 2 days, but presumably saturating the line for 2 solid days would be more likely to get flagged up, if I cap it to 125mbps and let it slowly download the 20TB over 2 weeks do you think BT is likely to care? It's a one time thing, not something that would need to be done again.
Not going to be an issue whatsoever.

Associate
Thanks, I’ll just do it then. I’ll still cap it at 100mbps because I’m not in any hurry, it can just download over the next 2 weeks before my dedi renewal date

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
Going need to start looking around as my BT contract finishes soon!

Not sure how there current customer offers stand at the moment.

Associate
Probably a daft question and it will probably require me to contact their tech support, i've recently upgraded my package deal from 500mbps to their 900mbps.
I have been told a set date when it "starts", so I have tried turning off the main BT white box,the router and my external wireless router.
The down speed is still the same(speed test on wired connection), has anyone had this happen after "upgrading" and how they were able to "resolve" it without contacting tech support first?

Soldato
Has anyone ever had any luck with negotiating with Aquiss at the end of a contract? I feel like it's not the sort of company that does that.

Aquiss is good but it's not the be all and end all of Openreach suppliers.
I've had my connection drop more with Aquiss in the last 6 months than I did with BT in the 2 years prior (both using the standard 1gb product)

They're recommended based on their customer service. They reply fast to emails and are easy to contact on the phone but their actual internet service is no better than any other Openreach re-supplier

Last edited:
Associate
Aquiss is good but it's not the be all and end all of Openreach suppliers.
I've had my connection drop more with Aquiss in the last 6 months than I did with BT in the 2 years prior (both using the standard 1gb product)

They're recommended based on their customer service. They reply fast to emails and are easy to contact on the phone but their actual internet service is no better than any other Openreach re-supplier
Yep, I had more drop outs with Aquiss than BT or Vodafone too.

Soldato
Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
What TV do you need? You can buy Sky Stream with any FTTP provider, you can buy a bundle from Sky that includes FTTP, you can go to BT and get TV from them, TalkTalk have a box with NowTV etc.

Soldato
Seems the re-grade has gone through but I'm still stuck with the BT Hub only connecting to the fibre network at 100Mbps so can't see any of the benefit of the 500Mbps connection we're now on!

I'm connected directly to the hub by cable (temporarily using another cable) at gigabit speed so not an issue there as the cable through my wall is actually only now wanting to sync at 100Mbps annoyingly so will have to replace that or maybe makeoff the ends again and re-test.

Any ideas how to get the actual hub to fibre network speed to increase as surely that's what needs to be upped to allow for more throughput?

Caporegime
It should have been connecting at 1Gbps the entire time you've had the service. If it's only connecting at 100Mbps then the cable is faulty, or a port on the ONT or router is faulty.

Back
Top Bottom