BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
What TV do you need? You can buy Sky Stream with any FTTP provider, you can buy a bundle from Sky that includes FTTP, you can go to BT and get TV from them, TalkTalk have a box with NowTV etc.

Will require a box like Virgin TV so that rules out Sky stream as it doesn't have a proper record function.

Thanks for the options.

Soldato
What do people do for TV package wise, when going with FTTP thinking of switching over in April when my contract is up with Virgin.
I use catch-up services and Amazon Prime. Haven't watched live TV for a long time.
Dip in and out of others such as Paramount, Disney+, Now TV and so on.

Soldato
It should have been connecting at 1Gbps the entire time you've had the service. If it's only connecting at 100Mbps then the cable is faulty, or a port on the ONT or router is faulty.

You're right it was a faulty hub port ... I tested connecting directly from laptop to ONT and then hub ports and ONT was gigabit but hub one was only 100Mbps so I've now got BT sending us a new hub tomorrow ... Hopefully that solves it!

Soldato
Hi all,

My EE FTTP contract is up just as they are making price increases and I'm thinking of jumping ship to BT to get a better deal. Anyone had any experience of doing the same? Is it even an option given how intertwined BT and EE are?

BT are offering 500Mbit/s at a substantially lower price than EE now although I'm a little wary given the nightmares I had with them on DSL. To be fair the legacy cabling around here is ancient and crap so I'd expect no real issues with FTTP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

My EE FTTP contract is up just as they are making price increases and I'm thinking of jumping ship to BT to get a better deal. Anyone had any experience of doing the same? Is it even an option given how intertwined BT and EE are?

BT are offering 500Mbit/s at a substantially lower price than EE now although I'm a little wary given the nightmares I had with them on DSL. To be fair the legacy cabling around here is ancient and crap so I'd expect no real issues with FTTP.

Literally the exact same network and kit being used. BT are slowly shifting everyone to EE as the new consumer ISP brand.

Soldato
Literally the exact same network and kit being used. BT are slowly shifting everyone to EE as the new consumer ISP brand.
Hrm so they're likely to tell me no then? :(

I'll have a look at what else is out there but EE are getting crazy expensive - although I did haggle my phone deal right down!

Soldato
Hrm so they're likely to tell me no then? :(

I'll have a look at what else is out there but EE are getting crazy expensive - although I did haggle my phone deal right down!

Oh there is no issue moving EE > BT... Was purely stating the network will be the exact same.

And expect a potential move sometime in the future back to EE anyway, they'll honour your current pricing (albeit temporarily) :p

Soldato
Oh there is no issue moving EE > BT... Was purely stating the network will be the exact same.

And expect a potential move sometime in the future back to EE anyway, they'll honour your current pricing (albeit temporarily) :p
Ah right, well the network is solid so I'm fine with that. Thanks, I'll give it a go :)

Soldato
After waiting two years and finally watching Openreach pull fibre up and down my street last week, I had the email today to say I can order FTTP! Can someone quickly sanity check before I press the buy button? I gave up reading around months ago because it seemed like the day would never come, but here we are. I run a lot of servers and want solid reliability, low ping, no bufferbloat, static IPv6 and IPv4 (at least a /29 preferably a /28), unlimited usage with no silly throttling, good customer service, and DHCP is preferred over PPPoE.

@ChrisD. recommended Aquiss a year or so ago, and they still seem solid and are likely first choice. They offer everything I want, except they use PPPoE. That's not a deal breaker, I just run my own x86 router (currently VyOS) and it's nice to have the option to use something *BSD based, but the latter struggles with PPPoE due to single thread locking issues.

I looked at EE for the 1.6Gbps package, because I have a family mobile account with them already. They don't even mention IPs let alone promise static-anything, so that's out. BT Business look OK price wise, and are offering static IPs - both /28 and /29, which is decent. TalkTalk business do static ranges but are PPPoE, and it's TT so... Have I missed anyone decent before I just pull the trigger with Aquiss? Also, am I right in thinking there's no priority or contention ratio differences between home and business on FTTP? Aquiss told me that, but last time I was on the BT side the business products had priority for transit and lower ratios - I'd rather order business products if that's true, but they said not?

Then just to take great joy in telling VM to go and swing from the nearest lamp post, finally... And decide whether to order Sky Stream lol. Thanks in advance guys.

zia

zia

Associate
Seen some guys working down my street installing fiber on bt poles few week ago,
Have just checked i can go FTTP too
Have narrowed provider down to
BT
Zen
Aquiss
Cityfiber are due to install also in my area in few months but have had enough of vigin,crap wanna switch ASAP
Can my existing router AC rt 88u and openwrt X86 work fine with PPoe?

Zia

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen some guys working down my street installing fiber on bt poles few week ago,
Have just checked i can go FTTP too
Have narrowed provider down to
BT
Zen
Aquiss
Cityfiber are due to install also in my area in few months but have had enough of vigin,crap wanna switch ASAP
Can my existing router AC rt 88u and openwrt X86 work fine with PPoe?

Zia
Yes, OpenWRT works fine with PPPoE and you can't go wrong with Aquiss tbh. I just signed up also. Feel free to put me down as the referring member (they don't pay anything that I can see lol). :p
@Rainmaker not many will offer a /29 let alone a static IP. Aquiss, no one, and I guess Zen/A&A are worth a look. I don't think anyone but TalkTalk residential offer DHCP sadly.
Yeah I figured as much mate. I read through your last few posts about them after I posted above, and had another chat with their MD. He's put my mind at rest and I have an order in for 1000 FTTP with /29 and /56 pending once it goes live.

Reactions: zia
Man of Honour
Yes, OpenWRT works fine with PPPoE and you can't go wrong with Aquiss tbh. I just signed up also. Feel free to put me down as the referring member (they don't pay anything that I can see lol). :p

Yeah I figured as much mate. I read through your last few posts about them after I posted above, and had another chat with their MD. He's put my mind at rest and I have an order in for 1000 FTTP with /29 and /56 pending once it goes live.
They are great don't get me wrong but I think they suffer some peering issues when World Cup is on IPlayer etc. But I think most do.

I think the fact you can email Martin and have a straight no-nonsense conversation, fault reporting, billing issue etc conversation pays dividends.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are great don't get me wrong but I think they suffer some peering issues when World Cup is on IPlayer etc. But I think most do.

I think the fact you can fact you can email Martin and have a straight no-nonsense conversation, fault reporting, billing issue etc conversation pays dividends.
I'll see how I get on. Either way, it can't be worse than VM for me atm. Even with SQM my pings are bouncing between 8ms (very rare) and 28ms to the same servers, latency is routinely heading deep into three figures after 6pm, I'm getting a lot of routing issues and it's down as much as it's up. With Aquiss and Sky Stream (or whatever) I'm saving money every month compared to VM as well, and as you said at least Martin is on hand for a no-nonsense chat should the need arise. No two hour wait for 'Welcome to Wirgin Media, have you tried turning it off and on again?'.

Soldato
Was supposed to have fttp installed yesterday. Knew the moment I got a text from MJQuinn who are a subcontractor that it would be a s-show.

Was even worse unfortunately. Engineer turned up alone with no cherry pick despite the notes clearly saying they need one for install.

He wanted to put my setup in the opposite side of the house on the SECOND FLOOR instead of actually replacing where it currently is at the entrance of the house. All because he wanted to put a ladder in my neighbours garden and just whack the line in anywhere without any consideration of what's actually practical. He was just finding excuses for everything.

Explained to him that putting the line there makes no sense anyway and even if it did he could not get access to neighbours garden as they are 90+, have dementia and need round the clock care.

Anyway he left saying he will look into getting a picker and get back to me ... next thing I know he's put down on the order that ' I refused installation'.

Needless to say BT are annoyed now and have launched a direct complaint with the engineer as they agreed it fell well below any acceptable service standard.

So now I wait again for a new install date! Fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hear that @iamtheoneneo. That's awful, and really annoying!

I had the opposite experience yesterday, but equally disappointed lol. I was on my way out to the vets, and an OR van pulled up in front of me. A friendly engineer gets out and says I believe we visited you yesterday but your fibre had no light? I explained the guy came the day before, dropped the fibre to the front of the house and said there was no light but there's an issue with a node being replaced further up the chain etc. He said na, the fellow from yesterday posted on our area WhatsApp about it (that engineer was from somewhere else), and I looked into it. It was just a port, I've switched your light on and I'll check your box inside now to make sure it's all working. I explained I haven't had an install date yet, and that I have no ONT just the external drop.

He said what, you don't even have an install date? Nope, OR wouldn't give me one until the 'external works' complete on the 24th. He said the chap yesterday told me you're a network guy and you're sound, and you've waited years for proper fibre so I just popped over. I'll install you now as a favour, and just get you online... Annnnd I'm running late for the vets after being on the waiting list for cat vaccinations for six months (Brexit shortages), and if I don't attend the slot I'm back to the bottom of the queue. So I had to say no thanks, explain why and I'm absolutely gutted haha. He said he'll keep my number and call me on Monday to see if he can pop back over next week and still save me waiting on a formal date later on. You win some, you lose some! I can't fault the OR guys though, they're night and day over the Kelly chaps I've had to deal with on VM.

Back
Top Bottom