BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Welp, almost a year later (since my last moan), we're still fallen between the cracks (no FTTP, I mean).

DCMS still want BTOR to cover us via commercial rollout, BTOR still say, "No thanks, not economically viable," due to direct buried cables.

Meanwhile, Superfast Cornwall have fully shut down and the staff have moved on. No support from them anymore.

Before they closed, the lead guy there said that he expected up to 15% of properties to be skipped as non-viable, and that there was a "blind spot" in government plans for these. In other words, they won't be part of any plan. The BDUK funds are primarily for rural areas that BTOR never planned to service.

The skipped streets in areas BTOR *did* plan to service, just aren't anything. They aren't rural, they aren't subsidised, they aren't even differentiated on a map. They're coloured the same as the street BTOR did cable up. Mission Accomplished!

DCMS said that their info is/was that we were covered by BTOR in their commercial rollout. I could remind them to take another look in 2030 if nothing had been done between now and then.

I love this how hopeless this country is at doing infrastructure.

Soldato
Anyone had ducted FTTP? My exchange is upgraded but all the addresses showing FTTP are via telegraph poles. My street has no telegraph poles so wondering how long it takes for duting to come live or will they install the poles?

Soldato
Caporegime
You'll likely have a phone line running to your house regardless of whether you've used it or not. Does it disappear down a duct or does it look like it goes straight into the ground and has metal armouring around it?

Soldato
What services does the BT checker state for your address are available?

I've checked a number of post codes and the Think Broadband map view and all the post codes with the telegraph poles have FTTP enabled and the exchange is also enabled.

"
Yes
enabled (not all premises may be able to get FTTP on the exchange)"

You'll likely have a phone line running to your house regardless of whether you've used it or not. Does it disappear down a duct or does it look like it goes straight into the ground and has metal armouring around it?

This was the phone line:

Associate

I've checked a number of post codes and the Think Broadband map view and all the post codes with the telegraph poles have FTTP enabled and the exchange is also enabled.

"
Yes
enabled (not all premises may be able to get FTTP on the exchange)"

This was the phone line:

Hard to say from such a grainy photo but i would hazard a guess at that being an armoured cable rather than buried in duct

Last edited:
Soldato

Yep, just metal wire around the cable.

Post Office Telecom?? Not BT? :D

Yep, same as mine. House built in the 80s, BT in their infinite wisdom decided to install armoured copper cable - no ducting!

I caught an Openreach auditor checking the work last year after they installed FTTP in my area. The chap reckoned they'd survey direct buried lines on a case-by-case basis, but doesn't see why they wouldn't not install as they kinda 'have to' was his words. Fortunately I didn't have to risk that, as an altnet installed in my area and they were more than happy to dig a narrow trench, install ducting for me and then blow fibre from the main chamber to my home (must be a huge loss as it took them 3 visits and the last 2 visits took two of them). So in the future Openreach now have a useable duct. :D

Soldato
Yep, same as mine. House built in the 80s, BT in their infinite wisdom decided to install armoured copper cable - no ducting!

I caught an Openreach auditor checking the work last year after they installed FTTP in my area. The chap reckoned they'd survey direct buried lines on a case-by-case basis, but doesn't see why they wouldn't not install as they kinda 'have to' was his words. Fortunately I didn't have to risk that, as an altnet installed in my area and they were more than happy to dig a narrow trench, install ducting for me and then blow fibre from the main chamber to my home (must be a huge loss as it took them 3 visits and the last 2 visits took two of them). So in the future Openreach now have a useable duct. :D

I did email Openreach so I'm hoping to hear back a rough idea of dates.

Associate
So come to the end of my year with Aquiss.

Although there service is second to non £55 per month for the 1gb package is abit steep now.

Any other recommendations? Only got OR FTTP to my house.

Associate
So come to the end of my year with Aquiss.

Although there service is second to non £55 per month for the 1gb package is abit steep now.

Any other recommendations? Only got OR FTTP to my house.
I'm currently paying £57 with BT! Just on a rolling contract now. I could go onto City Fiber, but I feel I've had zero problems with Open reach/BT!

Caporegime
I'm in shock. Shook if you will. I got an email from someone at Openreach's telling me my address has been added to the fibre rollout plan. Their own site still has nothing though.

Caporegime
I'm in shock. Shook if you will. I got an email from someone at Openreach's telling me my address has been added to the fibre rollout plan. Their own site still has nothing though.
Build plans now showing between now and December 2026. At least it's happening. I've been waiting on Youfibre or Openreach actually coming this way for years.

Back
Top Bottom