BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Aquiss gets my vote

embed
Seconded here.

Caporegime
You're direct in-ground so will be one of the last to get FTTP, as every house needs a trench digging.
Some will never get it at all, from the discussions I've had with various people inc BTOR.

If by the time the low-hanging fruit have all got FTTP, the govt decides that Starlink is "good enough", then the remaining addresses will simply have their wired services withdrawn and not replaced.

So yeah, direct buried urban houses will indeed be the absolute last, after even all the rural places have had it for years. But if/when the govt decides enough is enough, the remaining houses will get nothing and like it.

Soldato
There's quite a lot of houses in my town which are direct buried and I see loads of them, my parents place included, that have FTTP. Maybe OR are dealing with direct buried differently in different areas?

It was a faff to get it sorted for my parents but that was mostly the usual OR not turning up for scheduled appointments an then arriving without an appointment a few days later. From talking a few days ago to someone a few doors up from my parents they ordered FTTP and it installed within a couple of weeks with no problems. It took 2 visits, one to whack a fibre tube in the ground (they dug around the outskirts of the garden) and another to actually do the fibre work.

Soldato
I can't see my area not getting FTTP as there is a number of streets with the direct in ground. Either side of these streets have FTTP via telegraph poles so there would be large number of complaints, it is likely going to be 2026 though!

I did email Openreach for an idea but this was 12 days ago, I'm hoping that is a good sign and not they have opened/closed the case.

Hello *,

Your case has now been allocated to a case handler for the address *.

They'll be busy thoroughly checking your case details and gathering information from our systems to answer your query.

We'll respond to you with an update within 24 hours.

Kind regards

Fibre enquiries
Infrastructure solutions customer service
Openreach

Caporegime
Always pays to let you current provider know you are thinking of switching. :)

Was on Vodafone Fibre 200, currently at £36/month and going up to £39 when my contract ends in a week.
Saw Plusnet were offering 300MB for £31, so had a quick webchat with Vodafone, and I am now being upgraded to 500MB for £32 (£1 cheaper than new customers).

Associate
Is there anyway to check your local area rollout mine says now to 2026. Luckily I have NSA5G in my area so get speeds of 250 and sub 20ms latency for £16 a month so can't complain.

But would be nice to have a more accurate rollout estimate.

Man of Honour
Is there anyway to check your local area rollout mine says now to 2026. Luckily I have NSA5G in my area so get speeds of 250 and sub 20ms latency for £16 a month so can't complain.

But would be nice to have a more accurate rollout estimate.
Not really, Openreach don't tend to publish much information.

https://bidb.uk/ is a decent site and tracks most UK providers from various sources.

Caporegime
I wish they'd just stop with all the price increases and discounts and just have a flat rate.
I mean, I can understand the inflation side of things to a degree, but when new customers get a reduced price it irks me.

But, happy to confirm I am now running a 500MB DL, but my UL seems to be capped at 27MB (Openreach limits or something).

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I mean, I can understand the inflation side of things to a degree, but when new customers get a reduced price it irks me.

But, happy to confirm I am now running a 500MB DL, but my UL seems to be capped at 27MB (Openreach limits or something).

Should be more like 70Mb/s.

Caporegime
Should be more like 70Mb/s.
Just going by this:

How fast is Vodafone full fibre broadband?​

Vodafone’s Full fibre 100 and 200 plans offer strikingly different average speeds. Full Fibre 100 plan comes with an average download speed of 102 Mbps, while Fibre 200 plan offers faster download speeds of 200 Mbps. This is an amazing speed range for those who need above-average speeds and don’t want any lag when streaming or playing online games.

Vodafone’s upload speed is a little hard to understand. One of its network providers, CityFibre, offers symmetrical upload speeds, meaning your upload and download speeds are the same. For example, with Full Fibre 200, you can get upload speeds up to 200 Mbit/s.

While Openreach, which Vodafone also uses, has an upload speed limit, you will get an average upload speed of 27 Mbps in its network areas with the same Fibre 200 plan.

Soldato

No such thing as loyalty I guess.
Good old days your loyalty was rewarded by not putting your price up along with new customers.
But it's kind of a moot point, for a given speed the price goes down not up.

Associate
TBF they can be an eyesore. My bedroom window would have a nice view if not for the massive telegraph pole outside it (which only supplies 2 houses), it's been there since before I moved here so I'm used to it, but if it wasn't and one day I woke up and it was there... I wouldn't have been overly impressed. But then again, if it wasn't there I wouldn't have FTTP now so it isn't all bad :p

Last edited:
Caporegime

Coming to a street near you
Most people would be happy to have Full Fibre, poles or not. If Openreach are forced to go down the duct LAYING route then roadworks will take weeks if not months and costs will be tenfold. I wouldn't then put it past Openreach to just decline to do the work and leave them on FTTC.

Soldato
I've had an eye on those protests for a while, as I used to live in Southport. Arrogant nonsense, imo. As someone on TBB said last week, there have been millions of such poles all over the country for a very long time. We call them trees... Telegraph poles have been around for a long time now too. It's an offence to obstruct a telecoms worker, just arrest them. I feel sorry for those in the street who actually want decent Internet...

e: Having actually read the DF article now... The irony of saying that wooden poles stained a natural colour are an eyesore, while having your photo taken on your street which is already lined every few yards/metres with grey metal street lamps and poles with road signs on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Disconnect their FTTC and time them against a lettuce to see how quickly they change their minds. The lettuce is never winning that competition.

Poles are harmful to wildlife? Really? The birds will be thankful they have somewhere new to perch where the cats can’t kill them…

Don’t worry the old nutters around me are literally protesting against new zero carbon energy generation because…. Wait for it….. the environment :rolleyes:

There is not a big enough rolls eyes emoji for that one.

Back
Top Bottom