*******C.A.R.S - Community Assisted Race Sim*********

Soldato
So, just tried it, not done that much but not much changes from my last comments really, FFB is possibly a bit better but it's not like night and day or anything (or my mind has blocked out most of how bad it was :p)

I didn't bother trying the AI, racing game AI is always and will always be a pile of steaming dog doo...

Soldato
You will, the cpu's got an extra task and the gpu has to draw x number of extra cars (and the cars are where almost all of the shiny graphics are), not really unexpected :p

Man of Honour
Purchased a 25 Euro Team Member Tool Pack.

Well the first thing to be said is the poor FFB and input lag from Shift 1 & 2 is not present in the new build.

The FFB and handling with a G27 wheel and pedals is good, there's room for improvement, but overall it's very nice to drive the cars.

Having spent some time in the game I think there is potential here to be playing the best racing game ever when the game ships next year. rFactor shipped with about the same amount of content as this has now and SMS have over a year to go before they release.

The game looks very good and maxed out on my PC a Core i7 920, GTX 470 @750 and 6GB RAM, it's a constant 60fps in DX9 mode.

DX11 mode is around a 10 fps hit.

I do get a slight bug with the fence texture showing in black until I'm closer to them and DX11 mode is using all the 1280MB of VRAM available as opposed to just over 1000MB in DX9 mode.

I've not added any AI cars yet as I'm having too much fun lapping the Connecticut GP track in the touring car.

Soldato
Well after spending the last hour on that I'm very impressed. It's almost as good as LFS for feel and handling, the only thing is the cars seem a little skittish, the bumps on the track wobble the wheel a little more than I'd like, but apart from that the feel is very good. The FFB has a little way to go but it's starting from a high level. Nice to see a decent range of vehicles too, keeps things interesting.

If you're a sim racing fan it's definitely going to be one to keep a close eye on.

Associate
Just signed up for a 25 euro membership ... now waiting for my G27 to arrive and I'll give it a whirl. Haven't bothered playing racing games since GTR1/2 so looking forward to having a go at this one.

Soldato
fantastic game! much less buggy then RAGE LOL!

na seriously this game is pretty stable for a 18month unborn build. Dont think i have played such a stable build before. it looks like they got the actual racing stuff workable with plenty of time to implement better physics and ffb plus all the bells and whistles like animated pic crew, net code etc etc.

Soldato
Yeah it is way more polished than I expected. I had some inconsistencies with the pit lane limiter sometimes, but no other bugs, just lack of features really. Looking extremely promising.

Associate
Played it for an hour and got to mid 30s fps at Imola driving through the start/finish straight with 15 AI in there too :eek: Unoptimised LOD code ;) lol. This is on max settings with DX11 so not bad at all ... AI seems pretty unoptimised too as cars were flying all over the place :D

Overall though I like the feel of it, played an hour of GTR2 for the first time in ages with my new G27 that arrived today and that still cuts it for fun factor but I prefer the feel of CARS tbh - really looking forward to the development of this one.

Back
Top Bottom