Cheapest BMW to insure?

Soldato
:o Time for bed.

You wont be able to get a quote now until the mornin but give bell a try in the morning.

£900 seems pretty expensive to me for the mondeo at 24. Add a couple of older drivers as named drivers and the quote will drop considerably.

Soldato
Ive got an ST1 postcode (city centre) which isnt too good compared to trying a couple of mates addresses out in the past. When I insured my car nobody could get within £500 of Bell, Elephant & Admiral's quotes after adding my parents as named drivers. Adding them saved me around £300 IIRC.

Permabanned
get a mondeo st200 even if insurance is a couple of hunderd more you will enjoy it for sure :)

Ive got an ST1 postcode (city centre) which isnt too good compared to trying a couple of mates addresses out in the past. When I insured my car nobody could get within £500 of Bell, Elephant & Admiral's quotes after adding my parents as named drivers. Adding them saved me around £300 IIRC.

HAHA you live in stoke! :p

But seriously you can't be missing much going on a night out in stoke...

Other than a punch up.

*bee-dum-dum-tshhhhhh*

:p

Soldato
Grab a copy of Autocar next time your doing your food shop. Lists the insurance group of every current car out to buy. Should give you a rough idea, iirc the 1 series is only group 10 for some of the smaller engined models where as some of the more powerful 3's end up around 16/17.

Insurance group isn't the most important thing. My group 10 Bravo (150bhp) cost me £613 for a year, A Focus that was for sale at half the price of my car, with a lot less bhp (whatever a 54 plate 1.6 has?) was going to cost me just over £1k. A 1.8 base model Mondeo was slightly cheaper than the Focus but still over £1k. All three cars are IG10 and all my details were exactly the same on confused.com.

Caporegime
Grab a copy of Autocar next time your doing your food shop. Lists the insurance group of every current car out to buy. Should give you a rough idea, iirc the 1 series is only group 10 for some of the smaller engined models where as some of the more powerful 3's end up around 16/17.

Why pick something up? he has the internet, it has everything he needs ;]

1 series or a powerful 3 series is not worth recommending tbh :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13077266 said:
That only lists new cars rather than £2k used ones. This site will show you the accurate ABI insurance group every single car with an ABI assigned insurance group.

http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/

He was asking about insurance groups, I was under the impression a current 3 and a 5 year old 3 are likley to have very similiar IG, obviously value of the new 3 will push up a quote but the IG should be the same.

Why pick something up? he has the internet, it has everything he needs ;]

1 series or a powerful 3 series is not worth recommending tbh :p

Wasn't recommending a 1 or powerful 3, simply using them as examples. Someone earlier said the lowest Beemer was in IG12.

I find the Autocar index at the back a lot easier than the websites, has all the different models and important figures. For the sake of £2.50 (and it's a pretty good mag) then it's well worth it imo.

Soldato
Somebody has too! :(

Actually, your not far wrong....2 weeks ago I was minding my own business on the dancefloor when the side of my face met some big guys fist who just decided he wanted to walk up and have a swing..then carry on dancing as if it wasn't him! (wtf). Luckily the bouncers saw it and threw him out wanting me to press charges.

Just your average night up Hanley :p

Dont make me get my broken keyboard out again.:D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I find the Autocar index at the back a lot easier than the websites, has all the different models and important figures. For the sake of £2.50 (and it's a pretty good mag) then it's well worth it imo.

But it doesn't list the insurance groups of any used cars bar the 'Autocar legends' top 100 cars of all time :confused: So it's of no real use to the OP.

He was asking about insurance groups, I was under the impression a current 3 and a 5 year old 3 are likley to have very similiar IG, obviously value of the new 3 will push up a quote but the IG should be the same.

A poor assumption to make. A 5 year old 3 Series is an E46, a brand new one is an E90. They are completely different cars with completely different engines. New car IG's are of no value to the OP. Plus, he has a budget of £2k which is going to be getitng him a 10 year old 3 Series not a 5 year old one.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13077290 said:
But it doesn't list the insurance groups of any used cars bar the 'Autocar legends' top 100 cars of all time :confused: So it's of no real use to the OP.

Say the OP is looking for a 318, it has the IG of the new 3's in all engine and trim levels. I was under the impression tht a car's group does not change with age, so a brand new 318 would have the same IG as a 10 year old one.

Ergo giving him an easy to read list of IG's for BMW's.

[TW]Fox;13077290 said:
A poor assumption to make. A 5 year old 3 Series is an E46, a brand new one is an E90. They are completely different cars with completely different engines. New car IG's are of no value to the OP. Plus, he has a budget of £2k which is going to be getitng him a 10 year old 3 Series not a 5 year old one.

You'll have to excuse me my BMW knowledge (especially anything not current) is very limited. But would BMW not aim to replace a IG12 3 series with another IG12 car?

Back
Top Bottom