Cheapest BMW to insure?

Associate
OP
Just been looking at this alfa 156 some more.

Could pick up a 1.8 Twin Spark 70,000 miles (2001) for a couple of grand. Insurance is reasonable.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge about this car?

I've read varying reviews, all say it has great performance & handling but some mention reliability issues. Some say reliability is fine?

Its just so damn sexy! :)

Soldato
It would be a rough guide. Dont forget a 320 now has more power than it did 10 years ago.

But would it not be more safe and other things bringing the IG back into line?

I found that website that was posted up good if you know exactly what you are after, but a lot harder to use when you're simply looking for a BMW. It was a case of information overload.

Caporegime
why is it information overload?
he has £2k, a quick search says E36 3 series with x engine
cross reference that with the website given and magically you have an IG.

Who cares what BMW deem as safe or whatever, don't assume anything :]

Man of Honour
Say the OP is looking for a 318, it has the IG of the new 3's in all engine and trim levels. I was under the impression tht a car's group does not change with age, so a brand new 318 would have the same IG as a 10 year old one.

Then you are under a misguided impression - as the group can and does change with new models and revisions to existing models.

You'll have to excuse me my BMW knowledge (especially anything not current) is very limited. But would BMW not aim to replace a IG12 3 series with another IG12 car?

No, why would they? Provided it's in the same ballpark they are not concerned - the insurance group is not of primary importance to BMW or it's owners when they are chosing a £22,000 car, most of the time leased via a company anyway.

For example -

1995 BMW 320i SE: IG 14
2002 BMW 320i SE: IG 15
2006 BMW 320i SE: IG 13

Soldato
why is it information overload?
he has £2k, a quick search says E36 3 series with x engine
cross reference that with the website given and magically you have an IG.

Who cares what BMW deem as safe or whatever, don't assume anything :]

Not BMW who deem anything to be safe, the insurance companies. A 10 year old car is not going to be as safe as a current gen car (same make, model etc) so less chance of an injury and less chance of an insurance payout for lost leg etc.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13077330 said:
Then you are under a misguided impression - as the group can and does change with new models and revisions to existing models.

Learn something new everyday, I thought only the value of a car changed thus bringing a quote for an older car down.

[TW]Fox;13077330 said:
No, why would they? Provided it's in the same ballpark they are not concerned - the insurance group is not of primary importance to BMW or it's owners when they are chosing a £22,000 car, most of the time leased via a company anyway.

For example -

1995 BMW 320i SE: IG 14
2002 BMW 320i SE: IG 15
2006 BMW 320i SE: IG 13

But they wouldn't replace the current 320 with something that is IG 18 would they? 1 or 2 groups isn't going to make a massive difference, but point taken.

Associate
OP

Could pick up a 1.8 Twin Spark 70,000 miles (2001) for a couple of grand. Insurance is reasonable.

I've read varying reviews, all say it has great performance & handling but some mention reliability issues. Some say reliability is fine?

cheeky bump ;)

Man of Honour
Learn something new everyday, I thought only the value of a car changed thus bringing a quote for an older car down.

Even the value makes little difference. Get a quote for a 2003 E60 BMW 530i and a quote for a 2008 E60 BMW 530i and they will be as near as makes no difference the same even though one is worth £10k the other is worth £35k.

But they wouldn't replace the current 320 with something that is IG 18 would they? 1 or 2 groups isn't going to make a massive difference, but point taken.

But whats the point in going out and buying a magazine with irrelevent data in it in order to guess insurance pricing when all the information is available in accurate form on the internet for free :confused:

As for the leg thing, if you crash your car and your leg falls off I'm pretty sure your insurance company don't give you a payout for that?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;13077380 said:
As for the leg thing, if you crash your car and your leg falls off I'm pretty sure your insurance company don't give you a payout for that?

Think they do..

In my Certificate of Motor Insurance (Pru)

Loss of any limb : £5,000

Soldato

If you have to ask about the reliability of an Alfa then you shouldn't even consider buying one.

Associate
OP
If you have to ask about the reliability of an Alfa then you shouldn't even consider buying one.

I did some more reading on the 156 last night. And although the build quality has improved over their previous cars, it's still not reliable enough for me.

Got my eyes on a 406 Coupe now, Any comments/suggestions?

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;13082828 said:
Really really good looking. 2.0 is slow, 2.2 is powered by diesel and the 3.0 has biblical running costs :(

Just checked the 0-60 on the 2.0 = 10.5, which isn't THAT slow, but not great. :(

It just looks so damn good maybe i could forgive the engine...

Anyone know what the 406 coupe is like on the motorway?

Soldato
Just checked the 0-60 on the 2.0 = 10.5, which isn't THAT slow, but not great. :(

I used to really want a 156 estate untill i test drove one. Nice looking but interior felt pants and the driving position is just wrong.

Associate

I understand that they are geared more for GT type work, and so it probably goes along nicely on a motorway, whatever one of those is. Of course this is just my opinion after reading some stuff some time ago when I considered the 3.0.

I also read the 3.0 is a tight fit and so a bit of a pain to work on. I did not look into any of the other engines.

Back
Top Bottom