City Fibre

Caporegime
Tech = No One
Support = Home Telecoms

Will wait to see if anything changes :)
No One's customers have been bought by TAL, this thing being put about in their statement that the "tech" staying with No One is guff.

Last edited:
Associate
No One's customers have been bought by TAL, this thing being put about in their statement that the "tech" staying with No One is guff.

Someone on ispreview has sifted through some of the t&c and it looks like they have the rpi increase buried and also some nastiness around late payment fees.

So no doubt at some point they'll likely introduce that on renewal.

I wouldn't trust trust pilot at all. They seem to side with the retailer and I've been threatened for my review being removed unless the retailer can validate my order details - so much for being able to remain anonymous for genuine poor experiences.

Yeah, overall not impressed at No One or HT trying to spin this as anything else.

According to people on the ISP Review article, you're covered by No One's terms till the end of your contract, then you have to agree to HT's if you want to renew. I can't see myself ever agreeing to HT's rubbish. Fee's and other rubbish out of the arse mentioned in them, I can maybe understand late fees if you were particularly late in paying - but they seem particularly egregious here, they even charge you if you want to cancel your service out of contract without transferring to a new IP (which basically would happen if you went to Openreach, Virgin Media etc, potentially even other City Fibre ISPs if they don't fix their transfer protocol) which is absolutely crazy to me, not to mention the usual greedy CPI increases. Just an increadibly greedy and cynical T&C.

Since I only just joined last autumn, it's a while before my contracts out, but I'll have to be prepped to move as it's ending.

Soldato
ASUS aren't that bad, plus there is plenty of support for how to use them (eg setting vlan to 911 for cityfibre). I bought a second hand ac86 for about £80 a few years ago, it's a single unit that does everything I and my 3 flatmates need. I've probably spent less than 30 minutes setting it up.

The people who hate on them the most have very different requirements to this.
I'm really happy you have such low expectations and are so easily pleased that Asus forked WRT and support the same things WRT do.
In your opinion. Given you have more posts in this sub forum than I have on this forum, I would say you have very different needs to, my Dad for example.
Even if you hate your dad, Asus can't make claims about a product and then ignore that they weren't met, we literally have laws against that. In this case we're talking the most basic level of functionality and stability, the kind of thing that a garbage tier OEM manages, Asus failed to even reach that level.

Soldato
Sent a WhatsApp msg at 1pm, no reply as yet.
Hopefully you got an update and the answers you need by now. I am still waiting for the backhaul migration, while i've no complaints about the download speeds etc. latency is certainly higher than hoped (mid teens) and my 1.2/1 profile is still stuck at 1/1, but at my suggestion we're waiting till the migrations are done before investigating further.

Associate
Yeah, overall not impressed at No One or HT trying to spin this as anything else.

According to people on the ISP Review article, you're covered by No One's terms till the end of your contract, then you have to agree to HT's if you want to renew. I can't see myself ever agreeing to HT's rubbish. Fee's and other rubbish out of the arse mentioned in them, I can maybe understand late fees if you were particularly late in paying - but they seem particularly egregious here, they even charge you if you want to cancel your service out of contract without transferring to a new IP (which basically would happen if you went to Openreach, Virgin Media etc, potentially even other City Fibre ISPs if they don't fix their transfer protocol) which is absolutely crazy to me, not to mention the usual greedy CPI increases. Just an increadibly greedy and cynical T&C.

Since I only just joined last autumn, it's a while before my contracts out, but I'll have to be prepped to move as it's ending.
Unfortunately lasting customer service and being consumer friendly seems to be the first thing to go.

My contract ends mid next year so I hope they don't turn things sour. I went with them for their approach to customer service and the lack of rpi increases.

Hopefully by then there will be some decent options. Just another needless headache.

Associate
Unfortunately lasting customer service and being consumer friendly seems to be the first thing to go.

My contract ends mid next year so I hope they don't turn things sour. I went with them for their approach to customer service and the lack of rpi increases.

Hopefully by then there will be some decent options. Just another needless headache.
Yeah, that's why I went with them too.

We'll have to see what happens. The other worry is if they try and make you agree to their new conditions before the contract ends. They should allow people to get out within 30 days if that happens, but then we're all back to square one looking for another ISP. Not to mention I'm slightly worried about keeping the landline number too, their terms were talking about not allowing transfers out for their numbers - I'd hope they don't start making a fuss about those of us who got forced in without choice. In many ways I wish I'd have just went with a seperate VOIP provider to make it a bit more simple to swap, but the no one deal didn't seem that bad.

Soldato
Hopefully you got an update and the answers you need by now. I am still waiting for the backhaul migration, while i've no complaints about the download speeds etc. latency is certainly higher than hoped (mid teens) and my 1.2/1 profile is still stuck at 1/1, but at my suggestion we're waiting till the migrations are done before investigating further.

Nope heard nothing still, no reply on WhatsApp.

Will ask in their forums next week, bit closer to my install date.

Soldato
Majority of manufacturers don't either. Like I've said, some TP-Link products never get updates
It’s really not that hard to grasp surely? If you make a product that works as advertised, doesn’t have customer impacting bugs or CVE’s, then you don’t actually need to issue an update unless you wish to change or add functionality. That begs the question of what specific products are you referring to?

Caporegime
Not sure I agree with that. The majority of home routers are sticking open source projects together and putting their UI over the top, and the idea that the versions of these that shipped with a product (which will already have been old at the time the product was first available to buy) were perfect and haven't needed updates in a year since their release is a bit far fetched. With that said I can't actually find any TP Link routers that have never had an update and have been on the market long enough where that would be a reasonable concern to have.

I'm not really sure where I'd draw the line in terms of what is an unreasonably short period of time to stop releasing firmware updates for a sub-£200 consumer product, and I'm happy with the quality of the updates that my relatively low end Deco X20 system has received.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with that. The majority of home routers are sticking open source projects together and putting their UI over the top, and the idea that the versions of these that shipped with a product (which will already have been old at the time the product was first available to buy) were perfect and haven't needed updates in a year since their release is a bit far fetched. With that said I can't actually find any TP Link routers that have never had an update and have been on the market long enough where that would be a reasonable concern to have.

I'm not really sure where I'd draw the line in terms of what is an unreasonably short period of time to stop releasing firmware updates for a sub-£200 consumer product, and I'm happy with the quality of the updates that my relatively low end Deco X20 system has received.
The devil is in the detail, our new friend didn’t actually say router, or even networking products, which is why I asked for specifics. I’ve used enough TPL products that other than the unmanaged switches, pretty much everything has seen regular updates made available.

Off the top of my head, some of the network cards may not have had firmware as it’s handled by the chip OEM, think about RTL who were famous for killing buggy hardware functions and doing them in software via the driver, along with soft loading new firmware on each boot in some cases. Part of me was horrified, the other part congratulated them on lateral thinking to get out of a horrible situation.

Either way, let’s wait for the specific product being referred to before we jump to conclusions :)

Oh and ironically my x50’s just pulled the 1.2.0 (29/12/23) update and the x20’s are still in 1.1.5 (26/10/23) when I updated the app yesterday.

Last edited:
Soldato
a lot of downtime on Yayzi last 24 hrs. Seeing it on their forums as I was asking about my go live date (which is confirmed for Friday and the router should be on its way today).

Hope I haven't traded a very reliable VM broadband for a volatile City Fibre one.

Soldato
a lot of downtime on Yayzi last 24 hrs. Seeing it on their forums as I was asking about my go live date (which is confirmed for Friday and the router should be on its way today).

Hope I haven't traded a very reliable VM broadband for a volatile City Fibre one.
My connection was down for around 8 or 9 hours yesterday and prior to that i have had a couple of disconnects but normally only for a few minutes.

Soldato
Got the update email from no one / Home Telecom.

We are so excited to tell you we’re partnering with No On Internet, your current internet provider. This means everything you love about your current package stays the same - and yes that includes:
- Your price
- Broadband connection
- Router
- Current Terms & Condition’s
- If your waiting for installation this will proceed as expected
What’s happening?
Last week No One Internet wrote to you giving you the good news. This partnership is all about expansion bringing you even more of the good stuff, without you needing to lift a finger.

Your broadband connection - it’s not changing, it will continue to be delivered by No One Internet, just powered by Home Telecom, so you can enjoy our award winning billing and support. This seamless account migration is happening behind the scenes, ensuring your service continues smoothly without any hassle.

As we have moved you across from the No One Internet GoCardless account to the Home Telecom GoCardless account we have attached your direct debit mandate
So what is changing?
Apart from the name on your bank statement changing to Home Telecom. The rest is all perks!
  • You will be supported by fully UK based team using the latest technology to make sure you have the best service.
  • We offer a full range of networks to your door, giving you more packages to choose from if you want to upgrade or move home.
  • We are fully accredited with ISO2701 and ISO9001 giving you peace of mind your data is safe with us and we have robust quality management systems in place.

About us
We’re here to help and are proud to have the highest rating of ‘Excellent’ on TrustPilot, with 4.5 stars and over 10,000 reviews, plus you’ll be please to know our team are all based in the UK, with our headquarters in West Sussex.

We go the extra mile for our customers and are ISO certified. We are also part of the Telecom Acquisitions Group, who service over 70,000 customers and have been established for 26 years, so we aren't going anywhere!

Curious to learn more about how this partnership benefits you? Head over to www.hometelecom.co.uk for more about us.

Kind Regards
The Home Telecom Team

Soldato

It wasn’t fun. Its not my story to tell, but they lost IP transit and made the choice to migrate the affected customers to the new transit provider as they were down anyway. I happened to be one of the last to be reconnected this morning, knowing some of the background of what was happening as Liam is very open and honest, I personally give them a fair bit of credit for the way a crap situation was handled, but others are absolutely entitled to feel differently.

It did get to the point where I wasnt sure if I wanted to laugh or cry when I got a message from a well meaning family member asking if everything was OK and offering me a few quid if I needed to pay the bill, the daughter had said the house was cold, the TV’s didn't work and she couldn't revise at home as we had no internet. I had to explain the boiler had just been serviced and I hadn't re-set the thermostat as we normally manage it via wifi and stream all our TV and the internet being down meant no TV/made daughters revision harder as she only had 4G. I am half expecting food parcels next :cry:

In terms of reliability, if you ignore the Telehouse power outage in December which hit a lot of providers briefly, then they haven't actually had any national downtime in the last 18 months. That said, this is my 3rd static IP, they have always offered to restore the previous ones if required though, it would just take slightly longer.

Caporegime
Feels like some of these ISPs are people wondering "how hard can it be", bring back the days of proper networking people doing it.

Back
Top Bottom