City Fibre

Soldato
Ive been installed.

getting very irratic and confusing speed test /ping results though. Some speed test sites struggle to reach 100 Mbps, others show me at 200 Mbps download and over 1000 Mbps upload (can't be right, Im on wifi?)

I connected my laptop via ethernet to the router and confirmed connected at gigabit speed. Ran a speed test and only got 100 Mbps up and down.

My pings to DNS servers are all over the place. On my laptop Im getting around 10ms to quad 9. On my main PC, which is located in the same room as the laptop and also connected via wifi, Im getting request time outs. On the same PC I get 7ms ping to Cloudfare (1.1.1.1), but request timeouts to Google DNS (8.8.8.8).

Anyone help with where to start here to get some accurate numbers?

Last edited:
Associate
Ive been installed.

getting very irratic and confusing speed test /ping results though. Some speed test sites struggle to reach 100 Mbps, others show me at 200 Mbps download and over 1000 Mbps upload (can't be right, Im on wifi?)

I connected my laptop via ethernet to the router and confirmed connected at gigabit speed. Ran a speed test and only got 100 Mbps up and down.

My pings to DNS servers are all over the place. On my laptop Im getting around 10ms to quad 9. On my main PC, which is located in the same room as the laptop and also connected via wifi, Im getting request time outs. On the same PC I get 7ms ping to Cloudfare (1.1.1.1), but request timeouts to Google DNS (8.8.8.8).

Rebooted the router?

Soldato
Rebooted the router?

Yes. Router seems to be connected fine.

I think my laptop issue could be to do with it being a work one and they have some VPN stuff set up on it.

Id need to physically move my pc downstairs though to test it with that. Or buy a long cable.

I can't see how to set my own DNS on the router. It's set to 8.8.8.8 at the moment and there is a setting to enter another primary and secondary DNS but it doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been installed.

Which router/package? If it’s the HX220/1.2/1, then use the built in Speedtest from the web interface on the router to check first (log in, in basic mode it’s top of the initial page, click Speedtest and scroll down), it should - depending on where it selects - pull 900-940Mbit. Once you know the router is connected at the correct speed, then you can work backwards from that. While you are at it set-up BQM and allow ICMP on WAN (advanced, system tools, administration and scroll down).

I’m not sure if they are issuing HX220’s anymore now the 900Mbit has been bumped up, the EX820v was the weapon of choice for 2.5Gb.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIA
Soldato
Which router/package? If it’s the HX220/1.2/1, then use the built in Speedtest from the web interface on the router to check first (log in, in basic mode it’s top of the initial page, click Speedtest and scroll down), it should - depending on where it selects - pull 900-940Mbit. Once you know the router is connected at the correct speed, then you can work backwards from that. While you are at it set-up BQM and allow ICMP on WAN (advanced, system tools, administration and scroll down).

I’m not sure if they are issuing HX220’s anymore now the 900Mbit has been bumped up, the EX820v was the weapon of choice for 2.5Gb.

It's a tp link ex230v and should be 1.2 Gbps speed although with only a gigabit LAN the max I should get is 1 Gbps?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive been installed.

Yayzi are in the middle of migrating people to a new systems etc, they even say on their forums that things maybe erratic during this period and if you are having problems then to contact them
It's not surprising their are some issues with the connection on the first day if they're having issues across their whole network. It's probably best to check in with them so they can make sure everything is correct their end

Soldato
Yeah I know. Isn't is a bit weird that they've given me a 1.2 Gbps service but only a 1 Gbps router? It doesn't really matter though as I only signed up for 1 Gbps.
I can see the logic - most people won’t use/care about the extra speed, as if they did, they’d choose a faster package, and likely would prefer not to pay the extra £99 for the EX820v, those that are bothered can order one afterwards for £99 or do as I do and run your own router, the Flint2 starts from £110-140 depending where you shop, or I chucked a i225-2T in an existing router build and grabbed a cheap Chinese mixed mode switch to give 2.5/10Gb switching, that was about £70 all in, but could have been around £45 if I had waited for China. Ideally it should be made clearer through the ordering process and the option given, but like some other feedback at the moment, it’s probably less of a priority than dealing with the handful of users who’s hardware hasn’t come back online and sending them new routers.

Soldato
Ive done a speed test over ethernet and getting well over 900 Mbps both ways. Ping to all the DNS servers is working fine now at 6ms.

The new network still has some underlying issues at present, but they are being investigated, hopefully things should settle down and improve next week.

I actually prefer my ISP’s to be so boring that I don’t have to interact with them - it’s how I managed to put up with VM for so long

Caporegime
I've contacted them before to say that their website says I can order but every ISP I have asked has said the CityFibre network isn't ready to order yet, and they replied telling me to use the checker on their website before ignoring any follow-up. People say Openreach are difficult to talk to but CityFibre are easily 10x worse.

Soldato
I've contacted them before to say that their website says I can order but every ISP I have asked has said the CityFibre network isn't ready to order yet, and they replied telling me to use the checker on their website before ignoring any follow-up. People say Openreach are difficult to talk to but CityFibre are easily 10x worse.
CF just suck at this stage, it’s as procedurally crippled as cable was in the 90’s. They need to own the customer till the install is active, then hand them over to the ISP, but they refuse to do so which makes for a horrible customer experience if/when something goes wrong or on pre-install/build questions which only they have direct access to.

Soldato
City Fibre have finally gone live in my part of Nottingham and are showing ISP's that I can sign up with, 2.3/2.3 for £50 is tempting but some of these stories are making me wonder. Virgin are expensive but they have been reliable for me at least.

I also have Gigabit available but only the 900 package, though Zen will probably be available shortly, are they better?

Last edited:
Soldato
City Fibre have finally gone live in my part of Nottingham and are showing ISP's that I can sign up with, 2.3/2.3 for £50 is tempting but some of these stories are making me wonder. Virgin are expensive but they have been reliable for me at least.

I also have Gigabit available but only the 900 package, though Zen will probably be available shortly, are they better?
Zen of today is a shadow of it's former self, I wouldn't go that route. TT were OK when it was TTB dealing with the CF connections, now they're not part of the group, but anecdotal evidence and statements suggest they still retain the contract. IDNet is probably the better option for stability/quality, I rolled the dice on Yayzi, last week saw the first major stability issue in roughly 18 months which affected 40% of users and upto 60 of us were still offline after 38hrs, a handful even longer. Was it annoying? 100%. Does paying £29 fixed for 3 years for 1.2/1 with a static IP, DHCP connection and ability to saturate it 24/7 if required mean I am perhaps more inclined to forgive them? A little. Every ISP has had down time at some point for me, as long as it's not a regular thing I can survive, and it just highlighted for me that I should probably look into fail over again if it bothers me. Oh and static IP's aren't that static which is mildly annoying, but shouldn't be a long term problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom