Creative T20 Series II speakers standby mode?

Associate
For anyone who comes across this - I just spent a couple of hours reverse engineering the circuit in the T40 Series 2 and found an easy mod to make the speakers permanently on (not go to stand-by if silent). I'd expect the same circuit in T20.

Short over collector-emitter of Q2.
t40s2-always-on.png

Essentially this bypasses the whole sound detection circuit.

Soldato
For anyone who comes across this - I just spent a couple of hours reverse engineering the circuit in the T40 Series 2 and found an easy mod to make the speakers permanently on (not go to stand-by if silent). I'd expect the same circuit in T20.

Thank you !

I've been waiting 8 years for a solution and still have the speakers on my desk :cry:

Soldato
@yashiro
just tested that on harmon kardon
seems to work
the led on the subwoofer lit up indicating its on
so thanks now i can actually hear notification sounds
before they would not trigger the speakers fast enough
to actually hear them
ie the notification sounds are so short they finished before
i heard them even if they actually kicked the
speakers out of sleep mode

Associate
Associate

I just made an account to thank you for your solution. I've just modded my T20 II and seems to be working flawlessly.
You saved me from buying new set of speakers as I really liked these except for that stupid 'feature'.

Associate
I just made an account to thank you for your solution. I've just modded my T20 II and seems to be working flawlessly.
You saved me from buying new set of speakers as I really liked these except for that stupid 'feature'.
Same, I literally just did the same on my T40s today, it works perfectly and it was easy to do. No idea why I put up with it so long.

Associate
I tried numerous 'inaudible sound' fixes to no avail, in the end it got to me so much I drop - kicked the speakers altogether and just got a set of Edifier R1280DBs

Much happier, dare I say it, sounds better and no standby.

Fare thee well Creative (wherever you landed)

Associate
I myself tried to decide between R1280T/1280DB/1280DBS but wanted to give uncle Google one more try regarding modding creatives(never tried any inaudible fixes personally).
Whole procedure took maybe like 10minutes and the hardest part was separating the case without causing any damage to it.
If they ever kick the bucket it's good to know edifiers come without such an annoyance.

Soldato
I've got the opposite problem with my t20 series 1/origonal.. great speakers but the power brick is always warm even when the speakers are switched off, so obviously a waste of electric unless I unplug them from the mains.

Soldato

t40s2-always-on.png

I am just stunned this took so long for someone to actually figure this out. Hats off to you.

Associate

t40s2-always-on.png

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!

Soldato
Wow this thread still going? I've only got the original T20.. I've thought about getting something bigger and better.. But they are really decent little speakers. I've certainty got my monies worth out of them

Associate
My T20-II's always did this but the T40-IIs did not and always thought they were faulty as I was aware of the power saving feature. The T40s were connected to a XonarD1 card.

Now they are connected to a Logitech Bluetooth adapter and they have started doing the power save thing so there must have been an unnoticeable interference hum keeping them awake previously.

They are in the bedroom so having that blue light turn off (another annoying feature) is actually a good thing for me now though it did annoy me for many years on the T-20s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom