Dashcams!

Associate
As close to the dash cam as possible worked the best for me in stopping DAB signal blocking.

In my BMW I had the core placed just inside the headling ( so about 4 cm from the dash cam )

Soldato
Thanks. I found a couple of ferrite cores in a drawer. I'll try them on tomorrow.
So today i disconnected my rear dashcam from my front one and my dab signal was near perfect. The minute i plugged it in, DAB broke. Interesting the front dashcam already has a core near it.

I placed 2 ferrite cores on the cable to the rear dashcam. One 5cm away (top of rear window) and another 50cm away (driver side rear pillar where the cable is bundked) but sadly it didn't help.

Next step is to figure out where the DAB aerial is on my m240i, and whether i need different cores. I used two random ones i found in a drawer - they are oversized for the dashcam cables.

Associate
On my M240 ( 2016 ) it was in the middle of the rear screen.

In the end I moved my rear camera from the middle of the screen to the edge which completely cured the dab reception issues ( it had the ferrite core as well )

Soldato
After seeing the recent posts about DAB I thought I'd post and see if anyone can help with my problem.

I have a Skoda Fabia mk3 with a panoramic roof and I've got a Nextbase 522GW front & rear camera installed and my DAB signal has totally gone, scans show no DAB stations at all. It was installed by Halfords about 15 months ago and it's never been right. I've got ferrite cores attached to the front and rear but this doesn't seem to change anything. I've unplugged the rear camera and DAB still not working. The DAB channels are fine in our other car. No codes show up when I plug my OBDII in either.

Anything else I can check? Has my head unit gone?

Soldato
You can usually see it. Its normally looks like a bit of the heating element that doesnt go fully all the way across the window.
I've checked the window and can't really see anything that looks like an aerial, just horizontal and vertical lines. My rear camera is between the horizontal lines but not touching them. Might have to remove it completely to see if it makes any difference, rear cameras seem to be the bane of DAB.

Not sure whether it's also worth fitting another ferrite core near the power supply, currently got one near the power cable that goes into the front camera and another one near the rear camera.

EDIT: Checked the cabling again and all looks good. Fitted another ferrite core near the power supply but still no change.

Also factory reset the radio but still no DAB stations being picked up. Unplugged both dashcams and still nothing. Not sure what else I can do so might take off the screen to make sure everything is plugged in tightly. I only want to listen to Planet Rock when I'm driving :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick update to my DAB problem. Whilst waiting for the boss to finish her shopping I decided to re-scan my stations in Sainsbury's (about 2 miles from my home. The scan finished and found all the stations I've had before (D1 and S National I think). Driving home was all fine until I got back to my estate and then the signal went again. Not sure what's happening but I think it could be a dodgy antenna as it was briefly working with both front & rear dashcam working.

Associate
Quick update to my DAB problem. Whilst waiting for the boss to finish her shopping I decided to re-scan my stations in Sainsbury's (about 2 miles from my home. The scan finished and found all the stations I've had before (D1 and S National I think). Driving home was all fine until I got back to my estate and then the signal went again. Not sure what's happening but I think it could be a dodgy antenna as it was briefly working with both front & rear dashcam working.
You sure you arent in a "dead" spot ?, We have similar issue in our car where the DAB doesn't work in certain areas, but get the antenna checked. Also see if anyone else with DAB ie neighbours etc experience similar ? (Assuming you haven't already done so?

Soldato
You sure you arent in a "dead" spot ?, We have similar issue in our car where the DAB doesn't work in certain areas, but get the antenna checked. Also see if anyone else with DAB ie neighbours etc experience similar ? (Assuming you haven't already done so?
We have another car and the DAB is perfect in that and that car also has the same 522GW front & rear dashcam installed. As we have a panoramic/glass roof I believe the antenna is something to do with the rear window markings but no idea where the actual antenna is located.

Associate
We have another car and the DAB is perfect in that and that car also has the same 522GW front & rear dashcam installed. As we have a panoramic/glass roof I believe the antenna is something to do with the rear window markings but no idea where the actual antenna is located.
Ahh, ok, sorry I cant be of more help, It must be irritating not being able to find the root cause, hope you figure it out soon

Soldato
After suffering a number of road rage incidents on the road, it it time to get a dashcam and get these people prosecuted. I have been looking at the cheapy 1080p dashcams but they receive very mixed reviews. I have also been looking at the expensive ones but don't want anything that is going to make my car vulnerable to getting broken into. The most important thing for me is a good quality image from which you can read a number plate. I had thought about a second hand action camera as well.

Has anyone got any experience with these things?

Get yourself a triple camera dashcam: front, rear, and driver-facing. The last is to prove that you were wearing your seatbelt and were not holding your mobile phone. As for theft, get one that uses a black sticky pad on the mount - less visible - and detaches easily from its mount.

Do be aware that on Audis, VWs, and Skodas (maybe others too) the 12V cigarette lighter is always live so leaving a dashcam plugged in will drain the battery. You can get around this by plugging an adapter like this one into the OBD port.

Caporegime
I've been driving 24 years and probably only ever had a road rage incident against me, with a man audibly and visibly swearing at me, despite him being in the wrong lane.

How are you getting so many?

Soldato
I've been driving 24 years and probably only ever had a road rage incident against me, with a man audibly and visibly swearing at me, despite him being in the wrong lane.

How are you getting so many?
TBH there are so many impatient ding dongs on the road its probably not too hard to initiate rage by technically doing nothing wrong.

Getting flashed mid overtake while already travelling over the limit is the one I seem to be coming across more now. I just let them get on with their 'heart attack waiting to happen' stressful day and pray to the gods of traffic enforcement who inevitably never materialise.

Back
Top Bottom