Dashcams!

Soldato
yes review doesn't discuss A139 heat generation from encoding chip (ie reliability/power consumption) or implications on sdcard lifetime.

Underboss
Abit over my budget, probably no more than £150, would ideally want a rear cam combo too.

£220

£190 here :

Last edited:
Soldato
£220

£190 here :

Thanks mate will look into those, think my dad might actually have one of them and says its pretty good.

Soldato
Abit over my budget, probably no more than £150, would ideally want a rear cam combo too.

The Viofo A129 Plus Duo is £170 (bit cheaper if you use one of the discount codes floating about). 1440P front, 1080P rear. I liked the profile of the A129 as it tucks right up to the top of the windscreen and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb screaming 'CAUGHT YOU ON DASHCAM!'

I went with the Plus over the Pro to try and avoid the overheating issues I'd read about when recording in 4K on the Pro, the camera does get warm in use (especially in direct sunlight) but so far, I've had no issues with it. Worth picking up the hardwire kit as well which has inbuilt voltage monitoring to shut the camera off if the battery voltage drops under the set threshold.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I swapped an A129 with the 4k pro version, it's much much better - I could barely pick up plates with the old one, in daylight the pro is perfect. Night performance isn't great but mainly because I've fitted the CPL over it.

You'll need to open both in full res to appreciate the difference.

A129 Pro 4k

A129

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
A129 Pro Duo here, for about a year and a half. I've been largely happy with it. Have come out to find it had crashed and frozen at some point over night a few times (no idea why, running v2.9 FW) but other than that I've had no complaints.

Soldato
A129 Plus in comparison..... I know the lighting is better in my pics so it's not a truly fair test

neSGkDh.jpeg

NKyjiSI.jpeg

And a shot at dusk on an unlit motorway

hhWJZzb.jpg

Not terrible, probably a minimum as to where you want to be looking at for a dashcam. Anything 1440P/60fps and above.

(Sorry for massive pics, I thought the forum would resize them)

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a thread bump but can anyone recommend a decent quality, ideally non-parking mode (two wire rather than three with accessory feed), micro-USB hardwire kit for dashcams?
I've had a search around (usual Halfords, Amazon, eBay etc) and a lot of the decent kits, like Nextbase etc, tend to be mini-USB and anything micro-USB seems to be random Chinese products that look a little sketchy.

Soldato
Bit of a thread bump but can anyone recommend a decent quality, ideally non-parking mode (two wire rather than three with accessory feed), micro-USB hardwire kit for dashcams?
I've had a search around (usual Halfords, Amazon, eBay etc) and a lot of the decent kits, like Nextbase etc, tend to be mini-USB and anything micro-USB seems to be random Chinese products that look a little sketchy.

Garmin 4x 5x and 6x range use micro-USB

Soldato

Garmin Mini dash cams use Micro USB. I have one as a rear facing camera on my Z4. It's tiny and discreet but works very well. No LCD screen or display though, however the app you get for it allows complete control over its functions.

Underboss
My thinkware stopped working in parking mode

After months of arguing with myself what to do

I bit the bullet and got this, bought and installed by halfords

Installed it correctly , rear wire though the wire housing duct , the rear cable opposite side to the power cable for less interference

Can't recommend them highly enough
All done in 1 hour including taking the old one out for me

Attachments

• 20231015_123258.jpg
    20231015_123258.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Soldato
has anyone got a vodafone sim in their dashcam ? how did you activate it ?
mine came with no mobile number, but the vodafone smart app is asking me for a number ?

You'll need to call Cust serv and pray you get a UK call centre.

Explain that you don't have a CTN and ask them to search via the sim number (should be on the sim card). Shame I don't still work for them else I'd have logged in and done it for you.

Back
Top Bottom