Dashcams!

Soldato
Got a new nextbase dashcam today and it has a clip on suppressor on the wire. My last one never came with one and the dab radio always seems to work ok so are these neccessary?

Associate
Don't forget interference could also limit Bluetooth range/connection. Could it also cause interference on data cables in the car i.e. cause a transient error code to appear on something with a data cable running parallel to the dash cam cable?

What I'm getting at here is there is no reason not to use the ferrite core.

FluffySheep

Associate
Thinking of getting the road angel halo pro on my two cars. Anyone had any experience with it? Does it still work well enough without a subscription? Thinking of getting it hard wired in, maybe with Halfords, will look if dealer can do it <Skoda and Volvo> but know Skoda will push nextbase and Volvo will likely only fit the road hawk dc4 which doesnt seem to have a functioning app.

Underboss
Thinking of getting the road angel halo pro on my two cars. Anyone had any experience with it? Does it still work well enough without a subscription? Thinking of getting it hard wired in, maybe with Halfords, will look if dealer can do it <Skoda and Volvo> but know Skoda will push nextbase and Volvo will likely only fit the road hawk dc4 which doesnt seem to have a functioning app.

i asked that question over on the Daschamtalk forum

i now have a Blackvue 970X LTE

Soldato
question for people with dashcams: do you think they are worth it?

Had my car reversed into while it was parked, and that cost me £900 to repair. So now I'm thinking a parking mode dashcam (which means front and back cameras £££ and wired into the fuse box). But that's a lot of money and hassle. Would it have even made a difference to my insurance?

Underboss
insurance ? probably not, depends on your insurer i guess

i have one for a piece of mind because where i park my car during the day (and night) and even without parking mode , i find it a god send with the amount of ****** on the road

Last edited:
Soldato
You gotta spend decent money for parking mode to be worth it. My thinkware has it but it can drain the battery in about 24 hours - so it just switches off. They come with dedicated battery packs now I think.

Caporegime
I've had a front facing one for 18 months and never had any reason to use it for accidents or dodgy driving. Someone pulled out in front of me and I had to brake a bit and came across an accident that happened a few minutes prior to my arrival.

Soldato

Had my car reversed into while it was parked, and that cost me £900 to repair. So now I'm thinking a parking mode dashcam (which means front and back cameras £££ and wired into the fuse box). But that's a lot of money and hassle. Would it have even made a difference to my insurance?

It'd made a difference in the fact that their insurance would have paid the £900 and not you.

My insurer told me not to bother declaring the dashcam as in the event that I'm involved in an incident and the cam either failed to save the file or it became corrupted then the underwriters would try to use it to refuse payout.

Caporegime

I only have a front dashcam

Nothing to protect me from rear enders or car park morons but it's something.

Soldato
It'd made a difference in the fact that their insurance would have paid the £900 and not you.

My insurer told me not to bother declaring the dashcam as in the event that I'm involved in an incident and the cam either failed to save the file or it became corrupted then the underwriters would try to use it to refuse payout.
Ah yes, but only if I had one that was also rear facing and with parking mode. So I'm weighing up the extra cost and faff of a much more complex install and more expensive hardware against that risk. Whereas front facing is waaaaay simpler and cheaper, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it if you don't go all the way. Obvious fraud examples like the video above are good, although I've not really seen much of that in the UK so not sure if that's a risk. Not happened to me in 2 decades of driving after all

Soldato
Ah yes, but only if I had one that was also rear facing and with parking mode. So I'm weighing up the extra cost and faff of a much more complex install and more expensive hardware against that risk. Whereas front facing is waaaaay simpler and cheaper, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it if you don't go all the way. Obvious fraud examples like the video above are good, although I've not really seen much of that in the UK so not sure if that's a risk. Not happened to me in 2 decades of driving after all

I have one forward in my car but at work every vehicle has at least 6 external cameras and they were introduced purely for fraud prevention.

Soldato
Don't forget interference could also limit Bluetooth range/connection. Could it also cause interference on data cables in the car i.e. cause a transient error code to appear on something with a data cable running parallel to the dash cam cable?

What I'm getting at here is there is no reason not to use the ferrite core.

FluffySheep
Does the ferrite go need to go somewhere specific e.g near dab aerial? I have dab issues on my m240i with, Nextbase 512gw.

Associate
Does the ferrite go need to go somewhere specific e.g near dab aerial? I have dab issues on my m240i with, Nextbase 512gw.
As far as I understand anywhere on the wire is good. Putting near a potential interference receiver might be beneficial but don't panic about it getting right up close and personal as let's face it the car body is a big chunk or iron. Your more interested in suppressing RF signals and not making the wire into a radio transmitter.

FluffySheep

Soldato
As far as I understand anywhere on the wire is good. Putting near a potential interference receiver might be beneficial but don't panic about it getting right up close and personal as let's face it the car body is a big chunk or iron. Your more interested in suppressing RF signals and not making the wire into a radio transmitter.

FluffySheep
Thanks. I found a couple of ferrite cores in a drawer. I'll try them on tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom