DC Vault

Soldato
OP
I've been doing GIMPS on my GPU, the WUs are small, quick and it's very productive. Running 2 instances at once, which maxes out my GPU core, I can get 2 WUs done in 1hr 20 mins. I've worked out that equates to a ppd of around 130, and this is just on a modest GTX 460.

With RNA world I had a distaster, I had 3 long WUs, one had been cruching for over 8 days and would have netted me over 40,000 points alone in 3 days time, PC crashed, I had to hard boot and they all went back to the beginning again :( I ended up binning them all, couldn't face spending a week doing something I had already done, they desperately need checkpoints in those files.

@dekez I've just tried correlizer now and got work straight away.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a project on there called "Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP" which we don't have a team for. The project link goes here but I can't work out how to get it going or create a team :o Has anyone run this project before?

Soldato
OP
There is a project on there called "Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP" which we don't have a team for. The project link goes here but I can't work out how to get it going or create a team :o Has anyone run this project before?

I've never ran it but I did look into it, to create a team you have to submit the team name here, also anyone who wants to join a particular team has to ask there also. I did register on those forums with the intent of creating an ocuk team but didn't get round to it, there was enough to be getting on with all the other projects :)

Associate
Yeah they're the ones, have you done then on your CPU? how long did it take?

About 30hours per Unit (one per core). Better than the 10 days it takes me for an LL-D. Still looking at my results it seems i get about 8% more GHz-Days out of LL than TF.

Will see what my next batch of Units gets though..

Associate
Oh and Canada are looking like they may well get stomped today. Then the little matter of Australia (and the other 23 teams to go)

Soldato
OP
About 30hours per Unit (one per core). Better than the 10 days it takes me for an LL-D. Still looking at my results it seems i get about 8% more GHz-Days out of LL than TF.

Will see what my next batch of Units gets though..

I don't know what machine you have but it looks like cruching those TFs on the GPU is the way to go. I upgraded my card to a GTX 570 (eggcup's old one) it does 2 TFs in 50 mins, I've just done 200 in less than 4 days.

Oh and Canada are looking like they may well get stomped today. Then the little matter of Australia (and the other 23 teams to go)

Yeah, a bit ambitious there :) I think if we can crack the top 20 we'd have done well, of course the higher we go, the slower the progress, but I'm really enjoying it at the moment.

Associate
I don't know what machine you have but it looks like cruching those TFs on the GPU is the way to go. I upgraded my card to a GTX 570 (eggcup's old one) it does 2 TFs in 50 mins, I've just done 200 in less than 4 days.

Unfortunately i'm stuck without a significant rig at home for the next 6 months at least (until the wife gets back off maternity leave) So i just have a couple of work servers to use... Hence no GPUs.

Not realy a great use of the CPUs but as the team is small for GIMPS every little helps. Only using half my cores at the moment and doing Rosetta and other projects with the other half...

Perhaps fridays Euro millions results will work in my favour :)

Soldato
hanluc I notice you are also running Yoyo@home. There are seven different sub projects on there and I have found that ECM seems to give much better credit than the others, 50% or so more. So it might be worth unchecking the other projects.

Soldato
OP
hanluc I notice you are also running Yoyo@home. There are seven different sub projects on there and I have found that ECM seems to give much better credit than the others, 50% or so more. So it might be worth unchecking the other projects.

Thanks, I unchecked all but Muon1 to get the badge :cool::) but I've changed it to just ECM now though I still have quite a few Muon ones left, and a few NFS ones to do.

Associate
Wow.. up to 23rd (Double stomp of BOINC@Austrailia and Planet 3DNow!) Looks like the extra eon2 work has worked out well..

Think i'll run GIMPS in the evenings just to keep it moving but my results are not great on CPU.

Man of Honour
Not a lot of help I know but my laptop with is paltry gpu is still running off and on. One I have nostromo up and running I'll be moving most of my other stuff over to boinc.

That's:

CPU powah
1 2600k
1 i970
1 Q6600
1 Q9650
1 dual quad core2 Xeon
Laptop i7

Gpus:
4 GTX470's
1 HD7970 (prob for milkyway)
2 9800gt

Soldato
OP
Nice Biffa, especially love to see what damage those 470s could do on GIMPS, even just for a few days. I'll be putting my 570 to the cause next week.
Well done everyone on 23rd spot :) There's a lot more stompage to come I'm sure :)

Soldato
OP
Phil, I'm running majestic-12, Windows client v1.7.8, Is there anything I need to know on this? any tips, settings you could share? I've messed around with the client settings but don't really know what I'm doing. I have an 8Meg down 1Meg up connection, which is only being lightly used according to Netmeter.

Soldato
Try something like 100-150 workers and 25-30 open buckets and see how that goes. For some reason I can't get it to average more than about 3 mbps under windows 7 even though I have a 30 mbps cable connection. In the past I used to run xp and could get 10-12 mbps with my 24mbps adsl. Be warned you will download a lot, even at just 3 mbps it is about 30 gb a day, so check your isps usage terms.

Back
Top Bottom