• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***DEAL OF THE MILLENIUM - MSI GTX 470 Twin FrozR ONLY £143.99 Inc. VAT!!*****

Associate
Got my dispatch email too!! Very excited, don't know much about GTX 470 overclocks and voltages though, anybody got an idea of the clock speeds I should aim for and/or the max voltage to apply?

This should handle games coming out this year, none in particular (CRYSIS 2! :p) shouldn't it?

Man of Honour
Tricky one as the ratios between different sub-systems are different between the 470 and 480. So as you wind up the clock speeds some stuff very quickly matches or overtakes the stock 480 whereas other areas are still slower.

750MHz will match a stock 480 in many cases in older games at upto medium resolution and lower levels of AA. But for newer stuff your looking at 800MHz. To absolutely match or beat a stock 480 in every regard you'd need ~840MHz (which is the upper end of clockability on the 470 with safe voltages) but at ~840 you'd be quite a bit faster than a 480 in most areas.

Associate
Tricky one as the ratios between different sub-systems are different between the 470 and 480. So as you wind up the clock speeds some stuff very quickly matches or overtakes the stock 480 whereas other areas are still slower.

750MHz will match a stock 480 in many cases in older games at upto medium resolution and lower levels of AA. But for newer stuff your looking at 800MHz. To absolutely match or beat a stock 480 in every regard you'd need ~840MHz (which is the upper end of clockability on the 470 with safe voltages) but at ~840 you'd be quite a bit faster than a 480 in most areas.

Really helpful info there, thanks very much! It gives me a good idea of speeds I should be aiming for!
What would you regard as the maximum "safe" voltage? And am I right in thinking that every GTX470 has a different stock voltage, and it just depends on how much voltage is required for that particular chip to run at the stock speeds?

Sly

Sly

Associate
Nice one :) let us know what you think of it.

my time slot is between 12-1pm according to dpd site, suppose i could use the time waiting cleaning out my pc in readyness.

Associate
Got it installed and running (after a lot of faffing about - the CPU cooler I ordered had a duff fan, so I had to switch back to the stock one). Just tried Metro 2033 on DX11, max settings except for advanced DoF on 1680x1050 and it runs very smoothly and looks great.

As I'm typing this, it's idling at 40c at 40% fan speed and I can barely hear it.

Associate
Got it installed and running (after a lot of faffing about - the CPU cooler I ordered had a duff fan, so I had to switch back to the stock one). Just tried Metro 2033 on DX11, max settings except for advanced DoF on 1680x1050 and it runs very smoothly and looks great.

As I'm typing this, it's idling at 40c at 40% fan speed and I can barely hear it.

Cool, thanks for the feedback, mine should be arriving on Monday. Care to post your Unigine Heaven benchmark? I'm going to run one in a bit on my 8800GT so I can compare it to the 470 when it arrives. Never actually ran it before. Hopefully there will be a big difference :D

Associate
Just did a heaven benchmark and got a score of 898, with 36.8FPS average. High settings, normal tesselation and 4x AA at 1680x1050. CPU is a phenom 2 955 at stock and 4gb ram.

edit: also, the GPU didn't go any higher than around 62c, so it looks there's a good amount of room for overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom