• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***DEAL OF THE MILLENIUM - MSI GTX 470 Twin FrozR ONLY £143.99 Inc. VAT!!*****

OcUK Staff
OP
Another question, is this card a reference design. To maybe watercool later on?

I am not sure sorry, I'd have thought not as I know MSI make a lot of modifications to the card to make it as good as it is. But better to ask someone who already has one. :)

Associate
I am not sure sorry, I'd have thought not as I know MSI make a lot of modifications to the card to make it as good as it is. But better to ask someone who already has one. :)

The only info I have found: http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1792

I might just buy it and if I can't water cool it oh well at least I'll have sli and I have been kicking myself since not buying this when it was on the advent calender deal. ( Then to see if my PSU is up to the task )

Man of Honour
Another superb deal, Gibbo. Excellent stuff.

If anyone is interested, take a look at the following articles.

Overclocking GeForce GTX 470 with extra GPU voltage

Overclocking GeForce GTX 480 with extra GPU voltage

Then compare the results to this article here.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti SOC review

It's not scientific by any means but it should give you a rough idea as to what to expect. :)

While it gives a good indication of the overclockability of the 470 - they are only running a conservative 774MHz on the core - which both my cards do on stock voltage and from anecdotal evidence I suspect a large proportion of cards manage. With a small voltage adjustment most will hit 800MHz easily.

Given the overclockability of these cards this is a stunning deal.

Soldato
Incorrect!

You saw MSI 480 in our clearance section. I have no deal on any other GTX 480 from any other vendor or anything in the pipeline. So your wrong sorry.
If you look in our clearance section you will see a few graphics cards including a few GTX 480's at £179, but they are not new stock.

There were 10+ of them this morning. Did they all go in 10 minutes? ;)
I mean, I don't care mate, you do a good job getting the offers in and I usually buy from you!

OcUK Staff
OP
I mean, I don't care mate, you do a good job getting the offers in and I usually buy from you!

Our B-Grade/Clearance lines sometimes has issues with stock levels, you will see there is a few 10+ clearance line wheras there really is not, unfortunately its a bug in the system, hence there was like 1-2 which are now sold and gone.

But as I said no more 480 deals in the pipeline, we've done the 470 deal with MSI. :)

Man of Honour

They were there last night as well - as Gibbo said it was just B grade clearance stock, at £194.99 the brand new Asus card is a better deal anyway so I don't know why you are so bothered :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;18363189 said:
Hmmm. This or the 480?

You've already proved you're incapable of making a decision. Get out! :p :D

I think I may just cancel my 560SOC order for this card - the extra £90 just doesn't justify the additional performance of the 560 tbh.

Soldato
Great, now i need to decide if i should get this or the 480!

My PC is completely air cooled, and it's a Antec 300 case so if i overclocked this card, would it get too hot?

Currently have a 4870x2 and that get's too about 70c after a couple of hours gaming.

OcUK Staff
OP
You've already proved you're incapable of making a decision. Get out! :p :D

I think I may just cancel my 560SOC order for this card - the extra £90 just doesn't justify the additional performance of the 560 tbh.

To be honest I know it means us loosing the sale of the more expensive and more profitable GTX 560 but I'd also advice the GTX 480 instead as its simply far better value for money.

Man of Honour
The 560SoC does come with a factory overclock thats already well up in the upper levels of what an overclocked 470 can do so its worth it in some regards, that and I'd buy gigabyte over MSI personally if I had the choice - not that theres anything wrong with MSI, but gigabyte is a little better IMO.

Soldato
I've pre-ordered this and just called up to cancel my 560SOC pre-order :)

The 480 was never an option for me as I need something quiet and would have thus needed to sort out after-market cooling. Whilst the 470 isn't as fast as the 560SOC, it's still more than fast enough for my needs, and gives me DX11 support, yet saves me circa 90 quid. Basically the £90 doesn't justify the performance of the 560SOC over the 470 in my eyes.

Cheers for the deal Gibbo, even if it has cost you a bit of money :)

Associate
hmm dont know if i should get this or 480. Its for my second pc, it has a q660 o'c at 3.1 @ v1.4050 and a 610w psu. The 470 should be ok, but i'm not sure it be ok with a 480. Any ideas?

Associate
Hmm, this has swayed me from the 480 for 2 reasons - my PSU can SLI another one down the line (not with the 480), and also just the savings on it for a custom-cooled card.

Still think the GTX 480 is an awesome deal though.

Uh-oh....feel another wobble coming along :(

480 = 25% on average better performance across the board, but reference cooler and 35% more expensive. Power-hungry, as loud as a 280, but in that price bracket cannot be matched for performance.

470 = cheaper, cooler, 25% less of a card. Unmatched for price-performance in its bracket.

Myself = indecisive, confused, frustrated ;)

Back
Top Bottom