Poll: Death Penalty - Yay or Nay

Should the death penalty be reinstated?

• Yes

Votes: 321 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 432 57.4%

• Total voters
Caporegime
People who have life sentences overturned are incredibly rare today though and likely to be rarer in the future with current advances in DNA profiling and forensics in general. When it does happen it's great but the person has usually spent most of his/her life in prison already, so justice not done as the real killer is still out there. This is the flip side to the executing the innocent argument. It's also why America has Death Row. It' gives the accused perhaps decades to make successful appeal. Take a look at one the America's most infamous serial killers, Richard Ramirez.

23 years to get his conviction overturned and it still wasn't long enough to send him to the electric chair/gas chamber/lethal injection.

He was 100% guilty but managed to spend 23 years of tax payers money on appeals and incarceration fees trying to get off. Instead of bottle necking the justice system with people like him, they should have just executed him.

So there are cases for each side. Maybe the lesson is there is no absolute fix and so logically a combination of the two is the right approach.

Or more rationally, instead of spending so much tax payers money trying to kill someone they should have locked him up in a cell and thrown away the key, metaphorically. Would be much cheaper and more ethical.

Caporegime
Yes for extreme people who are clearly beyond rehabilitation. No point at all to keep them locked up draining resources.

The problem is you drain more resources in trying to kill them, and you might make a mistake now and then and kill innocent people.

Soldato
... Good old `uman rights.... Maybe the victim's family should have the final say?

That's not justice, it's vengeance. Interestingly, a system similar to what you propose here is that which is currently used by the Islamic State. I am not surprised you share views with those savages.

Soldato
OP
Or more rationally, instead of spending so much tax payers money trying to kill someone they should have locked him up in a cell and thrown away the key, metaphorically. Would be much cheaper and more ethical.

It's clearly cheaper to execute a person as opposed to 3/4/5 decades of incarceration. As for the ethical aspect, I could say to execute the prisoner would relieve him/her of decades of torment being locked up in a high security prison. It would also give the victims a sense of closure, something I feel has been overlooked in this thread so far. After all, it's the victims families who have the torment of a trail and the appeals that go on for decades where they need, or at asked, to attend. It's like the nightmare never ends for them, unless of course they are executed.

Caporegime
It's clearly cheaper to execute a person as opposed to 3/4/5 decades of incarceration. As for the ethical aspect, I could say to execute the prisoner would relieve him/her of decades of torment being locked up in a high security prison. It would also give the victims a sense of closure, something I fell has been overlooked in this thread so far. After all, it's the victims who have the torment of a trail and the appeals that go on for decades where they need or at asked to attend. It's like the nightmare never ends for them, unless of course they are executed.

It maybe cheaper to murder an innocent person rather than re-examine the evidence but that doesn't make it the morally acceptable thing to do.

Caporegime
As John40 states, a lethal injection is trivially cheap to ongoing law costs with the defendant on legal aid, with appeals and God knows what else, plus the cost of incarcerating someone these days is allegedly more than putting them up in the best class hotels in the world. Good old `uman rights.... Maybe the victim's family should have the final say?

So you are in favor of introducing Sharia law in to the UK then?

Soldato
OP
It maybe cheaper to murder an innocent person rather than re-examine the evidence but that doesn't make it the morally acceptable thing to do.

I know. You have just highlighted ONE aspect of this situation. This thread has many other aspects. Judge and make your view based on all please.

Associate
It's clearly cheaper to execute a person as opposed to 3/4/5 decades of incarceration. As for the ethical aspect, I could say to execute the prisoner would relieve him/her of decades of torment being locked up in a high security prison. It would also give the victims a sense of closure, something I feel has been overlooked in this thread so far. After all, it's the victims families who have the torment of a trail and the appeals that go on for decades where they need, or at asked, to attend. It's like the nightmare never ends for them, unless of course they are executed.

Don't forget the phone calls from prison either legal or on a mobile which must be great for the victims and families.

Soldato
as a young man I was pro capital punishment, especially pedophiles and child murderers,

Now I am the opposite, there is no place for it in a civilized society, we only become the same as those we are punishing if we have capitol punishment.

but that is not to say, that if they request it, and can be found to be of sane mind, that we shouldn't let them die and help them.

for someone sentenced to a whole life term, I can understand why they would just rather leave the planet, it would also save the tax payers money.

I would see it as euthanasia rather than punishment, as the punishment would have already been set (imprisonment)

I am alss pro euthanasia.

Soldato
OP
That one aspect is why what you suggest is impossible in a civilized country.

Please excuse me but I'm going to stop replying to your posts in this thread. It's nothing personal, I'm sure you are a wonderful human being, fellow homo sapien, fabulous great ape and fellow mammal. However, I need some biscuits from the store, and I need them now. So I'm going to twoddle off and get them and come back and talk to someone else. This is nothing personal it's based on the combination of alphabetic symbols you promulgated a little earlier. Ok, so that's that then. Have a lovely evening and all the best to your family.

Caporegime
I think if they've done something really terrible to the point where they'll die in prison and there are no doubts surrounding their guilt then why not? it boggles my mind that the government are able to put money aside to babysit perpetrators of the most terrible crimes for the rest of their lives because of their human rights and yet at the same time have austerity programmes which are destroying the lives of normal people and even driving some to suicide.

Soldato
Voted no, but there are some instances where I'd happily vote yes.

How paradoxical :confused:

The question is why people commit crimes? Are they mentally ill / damaged? If so then the death penalty verges on a eugenics program where we say those with a certain genetic makeup or illness should be culled.

Another alternative is that people are mentally functioning fine but they are a product of their environment. In this case it is difficult to argue that the person is at fault. At the extreme end it is a case of asking should vicious child soldiers who have committed unspeakable war crimes in the Congo be executed for their crimes?

The final alternative is that you believe in some kind of supernatural force called evil which people are born with or develop. A Star Wars style dark sidewhich they consciously feed into and from in a symbiotic relationship. This is the old school model I feel and the one tabloid newspapers like most.

Last edited:
Permabanned
How paradoxical :confused:

The question is why people commit crimes? Are they mentally ill / damaged? If so then the death penalty verges on a eugenics program where we say those with a certain genetic makeup or illness should be culled.

Another alternative is that people are mentally functioning fine but they are a product of their environment. In this case it is difficult to argue that the person is at fault. At the extreme end it is a case of asking should vicious child soldiers who have committed unspeakable war crimes in the Congo be executed for their crimes?

The final alternative is that you believe in some kind of supernatural force called evil which people are born with or develop. A Star Wars style dark sidewhich they consciously feed into and from in a symbiotic relationship. This is the old school model I feel and the one tabloid newspapers like most.

Genetics has a lot to do with it, but it's probably taboo to discuss it. It's bizarre people buying a horse or a pedigree dog will basically consider genetics, and study the pedigrees and lineage, but they'll marry and breed with some slapper `cos she has a pretty face and nice legs, whilst her direct family are near to being considered psychopaths, with a history of mental illness and substance abuse ;)

Anyone who breeds dogs for example will tell you some lines are disposed to aggression, or seizures, or mental health issues, and no responsible breeder would continue the line. But people? It's all societies fault, or they are economically deprived, or their education is poor. they are never plain genetically flawed. But such excuses are often in denial of unpalatable facts.

A doctor friend would have had no compunction in calling a child backwards or "simple" 50 years ago, but now they have to couch the truth in new medical terms to placate the sensibilities of the parents, who often show such traits in themselves.

The recent surge in marrying blood cousins is an undeniable example of poor genetics causing a raft of medical issues.

Bad genes can also produce psychological issues. Prison doesn't result in genetic cleansing though. Nor does counselling. Sad, but true.

Fascinating subject for the next dinner party ;)

Back
Top Bottom