Dell U4025QW - 40" 5120x2160 120Hz

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've got it down to £1525.32 with codes from work, I assume due to it being new its not the normal amount off.

Associate
Planning on buying one of these for the KVM feature. Does anyone know: can you connect one PC to HDMI, and a second PC to the DisplayPort?

If so, which PC gets the USB cable? Or do both PCs need USB connections? It's not mentioned on the Dell help site...

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Planning on buying one of these for the KVM feature. Does anyone know: can you connect one PC to HDMI, and a second PC to the DisplayPort?

If so, which PC gets the USB cable? Or do both PCs need USB connections? It's not mentioned on the Dell help site...
It's the active display which will have the working USB connections but normally you can assign it. Well, at least that's how its worked in the past on other "hub" style monitors I have had.

Associate
Not going to lie the developer in me so wants this monitor :D but the gamer just wouldn't be satisfied with 120hz... However its nice that to see that we're getting so many other options these days, maybe its time I go for separate setups.

Soldato
OP
Not going to lie the developer in me so wants this monitor :D but the gamer just wouldn't be satisfied with 120hz... However its nice that to see that we're getting so many other options these days, maybe its time I go for separate setups.

I find 120Hz more than enough to be honest, at least for casual gaming. I have tried faster screens but I find the difference fairly minimal.

Besides, you're going to have trouble driving 5120x2160 much above 120Hz anyway :)

Anyone who's ordered received theirs yet?

Associate
I find 120Hz more than enough to be honest, at least for casual gaming. I have tried faster screens but I find the difference fairly minimal.

Besides, you're going to have trouble driving 5120x2160 much above 120Hz anyway :)

I put an order in for a couple. Unfortunately I placed orders separately and now its saying a v long delay til second one so might see how my 32" 4k screens look on either side instead. First one should be here in next couple days. Will feedback when it does.

I'm not confident my rtx 4080 will handle well but honestly most of it is going to be for work.

Associate

Mine arrived a day early :D
EfHVf9X.jpeg

Copy/Paste from my post on reddit:
Initial reactions are all positive, loving the step up in resolution and the amount of desktop it gives me and of course the image quality and colours are excellent.

Had quick check in POE and BG3 just to see what refresh rates were like, was pleasantly surprised to see my 3080 push them both at around 80-90FPS without any obvious issues - so no immediate need to upgrade the graphics card.

Soldato
OP
Mine arrived a day early :D

Copy/Paste from my post on reddit:
Initial reactions are all positive, loving the step up in resolution and the amount of desktop it gives me and of course the image quality and colours are excellent.

Had quick check in POE and BG3 just to see what refresh rates were like, was pleasantly surprised to see my 3080 push them both at around 80-90FPS without any obvious issues - so no immediate need to upgrade the graphics card.

Looks good.

Very interested to hear your impressions from the gaming perspective and how it compares to the AW3418DW.

Can you drive native res at 120Hz over both HDMI and DP? Does Freesync work flawlessly on both connections? How does it feel compared to the Alienware's "proper" G-Sync?

Soldato
This looks like the perfect size, resolution and kvm/PD I need. My only concern is the difference in image quality compared to an oled. I've never owned an oled monitor but I've been bitten by the hype here. I also have a perfectly fine LG 4k 42" monitor now so I want to justify the cost with a significant visual improvement. Bumping up from 60hz will be nice, kvm will be nice but do these ips black panels really make much of a difference compared to my 5 year old IPS?

Associate
do these ips black panels really make much of a difference compared to my 5 year old IPS?

Check out these videos. It does seem like a noticable step forward for IPS technology. Can't compete with OLED's strengths, but doesn't have it's weaknesses either. Plus, OLED panels of this size and resolution aren't available yet as far as I know.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This looks like the perfect size, resolution and kvm/PD I need. My only concern is the difference in image quality compared to an oled. I've never owned an oled monitor but I've been bitten by the hype here. I also have a perfectly fine LG 4k 42" monitor now so I want to justify the cost with a significant visual improvement. Bumping up from 60hz will be nice, kvm will be nice but do these ips black panels really make much of a difference compared to my 5 year old IPS?

"Image Quality" can cover a range of aspects but, if you're primarily productivity focused, as I am, this will outperform an OLED in terms of text clarity.

Man of Honour
Good res, good size, pants price. Also with no hardware LUT onboard, seems pointless charging such a price geared at pros, but not including pro features like onboard LUT for accurate colour calibrations.

Associate
Good res, good size, pants price. Also with no hardware LUT onboard, seems pointless charging such a price geared at pros, but not including pro features like onboard LUT for accurate colour calibrations.

£1600 on Dell's site. Whether you think that's a pants price is up to you. From my POV, it's not bad for one of the better monitors money can buy. It's similar money to a high-end 4080 or low-ish 4090 (which you may well need to drive this many pixels, so the TCO starts to get a bit steep I admit). Top-end gear of any kind will always cost a premium relative to the bang-for-the-buck option, and of course it's diminishing returns, but for those that have the funds, it's an attractive option.

The big picture is it's really not a lot compared to what a lot of people spend on their mortgage, or car or some other expensive hobby. For me, I WFH pretty much full-time as a software developer, in addition to leisure time on the PC, so it's an investment in the same way that you don't want to cheap-out on your bed/mattress, given you spend an awful lot of your life in it!

Man of Honour
The AW3423DW could be bought for well under £900 on launch day though, and that's OLED, so infinite blacks with superb colour accuracy. Granted it's not 5120x2160, but we now have such high res OLEDs coming and are set to be cheaper than this IPS Black, and they will naturally have even better specs.

For ref, the DWF is currently under £750 brand new on Dell's site.

As is usually the game, the "professional" monicker has a tax applied to it, even though it doesn't actually have that many "professional" features that your everyday monitor already has (barring the resolution)..It still has backlight bleed, it still has corner bleed, still has glow from any angle that isn't head-on, which will end up being an issue on a 40" display as you cannot look at one without being off-angle for a large portsion of the screen sides anyway lol. Even the video reviews above say that they wished it had better bleed/glow control at angles.

If I'm spending professional money, I will be wanting none of these traits. It needs to be *OLED to make the most sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom