Do you tip the pizza delivery man?

Man of Honour
Tipping in the US works well because it makes the staff helpful, friendly and attentitive

Not in my experience, I found staff in the US overly zealous about getting their tip, one restaurant I ate at the waitress had the cheek to draw a circle round the 20% on the menu which said "How was your service?"

Good...... 15%
Great.......18%
Excellent..20%

Another place I ate the waitresses weren't that attentive, we were sat upstairs in this quiet bit and in the end I had to get out of my seat to go and get their attention, they'd also got my wife's order wrong. Yeah so it was only TGI Fridays in NYC so I'm not expecting perfect service but the point is I've never met less attentive staff in the same chain in England.

Maybe I was just unlucky and I don't live in the US but I certainly wasn't in awe of this supposedly legendary restaurant service. Unlike in Macy's deptartment store where I did get a genuinely very helpful assistant, who informed me that as international visitor I should have got a discount on items I'd already bought elsewhere in the store(!) and paid me cash out the till, lol :)

Soldato
Never.

Although I had a pizza from Dominos earlier this week and the girl that delivered it was lovely, maybe I should have given her some money so she would have come in for 'dessert'.

Soldato
I don't get tipped when I clean up people's vomit, blood, **** and ****. So why should I tip some guy for driving a car around with my food, typically costing me £20 already?

Soldato
I hardly ever get takeaways, and when I do I pretty much always collect them myself. However on the rare occasion I would give them a pound or so if they are polite, on time and friendly.
I enjoy getting tips and hope people give me them because they find I fulfil the above criteria.
Unsurprisingly, it's the 'poorer' people that are the friendliest and best tippers in my experience.

Associate
A quid or so + the coppers left. £13.75 and ill throw em £15. Always have done. Will do with Taxis aswell if its a decent person (I say person as I was picked up by a female taxi driver for the first time ever the other week).

Associate
They're paid to drive a pizza to my house, why on earth would I tip them for that?

It's all part of the service so I see no need to. If nobody started giving out tips then they wouldn't expect them.

Back
Top Bottom