Does something need to be done about dogs?

Associate
If we hold people to a higher standard, none of these incompetent ***** would be allowed a dog in the first place, and no breeder would be allowed to bring such a poor example into the world.
And then we could play real god and stop them from breeding themselves too? Why do you want to play god?

A couple thousand more unregistered ones also get seized by Police responding to calls of dogs out of control, but you can bet there are plenty more they don't know about.
Well the dogs are then registered and destroyed if truly out of control, quite simple really. The others have not been killing people on a regular basis for us all to be up in arms.

Is Dowie paying you for this, perhaps?
I might have someone somewhere on this forum through connections that pay me money for my work, but no one has paid me directly. I dont know if @dowie would pay my day rate to be honest.
OK, so making a law solves everything. The Police can all go home now, no need to fret and worry about having the resources to actually enforce anything
The circle begins again, thanks @ttaskmaster for bringing us back to this same point. Last time we saw it was November I believe.

Soldato
Yeah, this is the same point that went over your head twice in a row just earlier today... why bother with laws for anything in that case if they're not 100% effective?
Not what I said.
Your approach targets only the people who wouldn't need it. It does nothing to stop the ones who actually are responsible. You might as well dish out gold-plated ASBOs...

Are you some full on crazy libertarian/no government type?
Actually the opposite, hence the username. I'm generally quite harsh on law-breakers and heavy on enforcement.
However, laws do have to be sensible and workable with a high degree of effectiveness - Without widespread enforcement, any law you come up with is just pointless political posturing.

Target them how? If it's not illegal to breed XL Bullies then on what grounds are they being targeted and for what purpose?
You do realise it already has been illegal to breed them since 1991, right...?

What is the perception-altering campaign supposed to do?
With no demand, you reduce the profitability and eliminate the incentive for supply. Bottom-up approach to complement the top-down one, rather than the ****-up results of this government organising their proverbial **** up in a brewery.

You want to dissuade people from owning this particular breed but you're simultaneously opposed to banning it and issuing exemption certificates? Why?
Nope - I want to stop people from misbreeding, mishandling and mistreating all breeds of dogs, in order to prevent the vast majority of incidents, regardless of breed.

As for the ban specifically, you'll know from reading the earlier parts of this thread in which I even quoted the opinions of several professionals, and the findings of studies on and around this very matter:

1/. If you'd paid attention to the genetics discussions in the thread, you'd know how and why otherwise innocent dogs can be destroyed purely on the basis of appearing similar to a banned breed.
2/. The banning of anything based on the misbehaviour of comparatively few people is just ineffectively burying your head in the sand, while appearing to voters to have tackled the problem.
3/. Banning something like this just makes it more attractive - If you were to run a perception-altering campaign to reduce demand, this is how you go about getting the exact opposite result!
4/. The 1991 ban is what gave rise to the surging interest in alternative breeds and resulted in the XLB variant of the American Bully rising in popularity.
5/. The limitations in the ban are not enough to effectively prevent either ownership or incidents, as evidenced by the continuing rates of attack involving Pit Bulls and Pit Bull Types.

And then we could play real god and stop them from breeding themselves too? Why do you want to play god?
So you'd be in favour of scrapping driving licences and the Highway Code, presumably?
Why hold people to a high standard, right?

I'm not really a fan of Doctor Who, but there's one quote that says it all - "Good men don't need rules".

Well the dogs are then registered and destroyed if truly out of control, quite simple really.
No, they're generally only destroyed if they're a banned breed, and even then are more often given the chance to go through the Exemption process.
See earlier remarks about effective enforcement.

The others have not been killing people on a regular basis for us all to be up in arms.
...until they do. But whatever leads to their discovery, it's too late to prevent the incidents, which is the primary concern of this thread.
If you're OK with that, then feel free to carry on policing after the event... but don't come crying about anyone dying or being seriously injured, untill you're willing to address actually preventative methods.

I dont know if @dowie would pay my day rate to be honest.
Based on your delivery here, I don't think anyone would... ! :p

The circle begins again, thanks @ttaskmaster for bringing us back to this same point. Last time we saw it was November I believe.
Again, see remarks regarding effective enforcement of both existing laws and new ones.

Associate
So you'd be in favour of scrapping driving licences and the Highway Code, presumably?
Why hold people to a high standard, right?

I'm not really a fan of Doctor Who, but there's one quote that says it all - "Good men don't need rules".
No, how the **** have you came to that conclusion.
You are wanting to play god because you feel you are more than anyone else in this conversation, just admit it.
No, they're generally only destroyed if they're a banned breed, and even then are more often given the chance to go through the Exemption process.
So, if we had a general collie that has killed a person, they will not be terminated due to not being on the dangerous dogs list?
That dont sound right. You dont have a clue what you are arguing anymore.
Again, if a dog is identified as a breed on the dangerous dog list and has then killed or maimed a human and showing complete lack of control, they are destroyed. Or do we need to go back and link those videos of police executing out of control dogs in the street again to back this up?

...until they do. But whatever leads to their discovery, it's too late to prevent the incidents, which is the primary concern of this thread.
If you're OK with that, then feel free to carry on policing after the event... but don't come crying about anyone dying or being seriously injured, untill you're willing to address actually preventative methods.
Until they do, well yeha but one example isnt a use case, but when there is numerous examples then yeah I am fine for things to happen and a law coming out resulting in the ban of those types of animals.
You seem to be mixing so many things here its kind of embarrassing to follow.

Based on your delivery here, I don't think anyone would
Nice way to put you cannot afford me, thanks.
Again, see remarks regarding effective enforcement of both existing laws and new ones.
This is your problem with modern policing and the MOJ, CPS and more.
This is not an issue with dogs. God how embarrassing we have to spell this out for you.

Soldato
I know it's anecdotal, but I am not seeing as many big fighting dogs in my area recently.

It's impossible to say whether it's a result of all the press and legislation.

Given two recent deaths in the area from Bully Xls, it could be the cold hard slap of reality. It's hard to ignore the risk when It's happened down the road from you...

Soldato
They may not be out and about, but they'll be there and it's just a matter of time until tragedy finds those that hide these ticking time bombs.

I expect this to be a trickle of mass death by dangerous dog over the next decade at least.

Soldato
No, how the **** have you came to that conclusion.
From your comments, you seem to think common sense and the like are some "higher standard", to which most people don't wish to be held...
I think that's more revealing of your own perspective than anything else.

You are wanting to play god because you feel you are more than anyone else in this conversation, just admit it.
I want people to stop being stupid ***** and start considering the consequences of their actions, but that's about it.
If you think that's "playing God", you've got most of the country to haul over the coals....!

So, if we had a general collie that has killed a person, they will not be terminated due to not being on the dangerous dogs list?
They might be put down, but it won't be because they're a banned breed.

That dont sound right. You dont have a clue what you are arguing anymore.
That banning the breeding and ownership of dogs does not eradicate them from existence, which is what you argued - Neither does it stop people from breeding or owning them, and they generally go undiscovered unless involved in an incident.
What you're not picking up on, I have no idea, but you seem to be off on a tangent.

Again, if a dog is identified as a breed on the dangerous dog list and has then killed or maimed a human and showing complete lack of control, they are destroyed.
If the dog is a banned breed, it doesn't have to have killed to be destroyed.

Or do we need to go back and link those videos of police executing out of control dogs in the street again to back this up?
Again, it doesn't have to be a banned breed to justify being put down.

Until they do, well yeha but one example isnt a use case, but when there is numerous examples then yeah I am fine for things to happen and a law coming out resulting in the ban of those types of animals.
You seem to be mixing so many things here its kind of embarrassing to follow.
There ARE numerous examples.
In just the recorded deaths, quite a few of the dogs' owners had either been banned from keeping dogs, and/or were found to be owning breeds that were already banned.
Add in the number of non-fatal attacks with similar circumstances and there's your 'use case'.

Nice way to put you cannot afford me, thanks.
You're confusing could with would. Even if you charged peanuts, it wouldn't be worth it.

This is your problem with modern policing and the MOJ, CPS and more.
This is not an issue with dogs. God how embarrassing we have to spell this out for you.
So you're saying we don't need another dog ban, because "it's not a dog issue", we just need to make sure the Police enforce the existing laws?
Glad you've almost caught up.
You're missing the fact that it's everyones' problem, though, as none of this would be going on if the Police had enforced all these lovely laws we have.

Associate
So you're saying we don't need another dog ban, because "it's not a dog issue", we just need to make sure the Police enforce the existing laws?
No, thats not what I have said, maybe instead of being so emotionally attached to the topic, you should step back and actually read what is being written.

You're missing the fact that it's everyones' problem, though, as none of this would be going on if the Police had enforced all these lovely laws we have.
I think you need a crash course on modern policing, what it means, what it does and how policing works in the UK as you are living in some fairy land.

Thread deserves to be binned if @ttaskmaster is just going to troll responses day in and out and only come on to the forum to do such a thing (this plus 2 other threads is the only threads he has replied to this year so far, that should tell you everything you need to know, one other is another started by @dowie so is this just targeted attacks on a user's posts?).

Last edited:
Soldato
No, thats not what I have said, maybe instead of being so emotionally attached to the topic, you should step back and actually read what is being written.
Right back at you, kid.
Start with whichever backside from which you pulled this idea of simply being a decent person following common morality somehow equating to playing god.

I think you need a crash course on modern policing, what it means, what it does and how policing works in the UK as you are living in some fairy land.
In 1991 it was made illegal to breed from a Pit Bull.
American Bullys and, by extension, XLBs are both bred from Pit Bulls.
Had the police enforced the DDA, you'd not now be making a fool of yourself.

But please, do tell me how enforcing that law, the very same enforcement of which you're now claiming is the solution to this problem, is somehow living in a fairy tale land.... Moreover, when it's the same law, how come you're not living in that same fairy tale land when it suits your agenda?

Thread deserves to be binned if @ttaskmaster is just going to troll responses day in and out and only come on to the forum to do such a thing
I do actually read quite a few threads and occasionally post in them as well.
But to address the trolling accusation, you first need evidence of deliberate and intentional trolling. All I have done is post facts and the findings of qualified professionals, while then responding to those who challenge my posting of them, such as yourself.

If you feel me answering your comments, insults, aspersions etc is somehow trolling, do take it up with the Admins.

this plus 2 other threads is the only threads he has replied to this year so far, that should tell you everything you need to know
So as well as not reading what I actually wrote, making unsubstantiated assertions based on your own misinterpretation, getting upset when I subsequently correct your misinformation, and just outright making things up..... you're now stalking me, too??!!

one other is another started by @dowie so is this just targeted attacks on a user's posts?).
:p <-- Learn what this means.

But by extension, the only time I see you posting is attacking my posts here, and you're one of only two people who generally reply to me, so.......

Caporegime
I tell you what, something needs to be done about the dog down the road of where I have just moved to. Everyday since moving it's barked regularly throughout the day and into quite late in the evening/night some nights. It just continuously lets out one shrill bark every 30 seconds or so. The owners clearly just leave it out pretty much all day.

Trouble is, I can't pinpoint exactly which house it is coming from, and it's an awkward time as I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with neighbours so soon. My wife and I generally like to keep ourselves to ourselves but we think that this is so inconsiderate it needs dealing with.

What infuriates me is how this can't have just started since I moved in, so how is it possible no one has complained/got it sorted yet?! Also, I am concerned for the dogs well being as it sounds like it's going mad. It isn't an excited bark or a response to anything, it's just a constant monotone bark at regular intervals.

It beggars belief as to how the owners can be so awful and inconsiderate to think that it is ok, and it's doubly annoying, because without that one dog it would be a lovely and peaceful road/area.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not an xl bully. But koda got approached by an aggressive collie today because the owner had thier gate open and dog just came out growling and showing teeth.

Koda is a bit of a wimp but luckily held his ground. And collies (in this one) can be quite cowardly.

Its one of those situations where, had it been an XL.. You dread to think. Because there would have unlikely been anything I could have done.

Caporegime
I tell you what, something needs to be done about the dog down the road of where I have just moved to. Everyday since moving it's barked regularly throughout the day and into quite late in the evening/night some nights. It just continuously lets out one shrill bark every 30 seconds or so. The owners clearly just leave it out pretty much all day.
seems to be most dog owners, all of the ones I see around here look sick of their lives every time they walk their dog.

The only happy dog walkers seem to be the ones who go to local parks/beaches

the rest seem utterly miserable, being forced into something they'd rather not do, then they don't scoop the poop either.

I've seen respectable looking people just walk off and leave dog mess.

if you don't want a dg don't BUY ONE! and don't buy one for your bloody kids they aren't old enough for the responsibility.

Last edited:
Caporegime
seems to be most dog owners, all of the ones I see around here look sick of their lives every time they walk their dog.

The only happy dog walkers seem to be the ones who go to local parks/beaches

the rest seem utterly miserable, being forced into something they'd rather not do, then they don't scoop the poop either.

I've seen respectable looking people just walk off and leave dog mess.

if you don't want a dg don't BUY ONE! and don't buy one for your bloody kids they aren't old enough for the responsibility.

Funnily enough I'm a dog owner myself. However that makes it even more irritating.

I drilled into into ours that barking unnecessarily was not allowed. As a puppy, if he barked at night I would march downstairs and give him a very firm "No!" and would then leave him again. Everytime he barked when it wasn't needed he was told off. As a young adult dog he only now barks when excited /to communicate/when playing and not just all the time for no reason, or simply because he is on his own. When he is on his own he just sleeps and stays quiet. I know this as we set up cameras to check.

A dog having a short barking moment for 5 mins a few times a day is no problem. Letting off single monotonous barks all day long is just not on.

These owners clearly never bothered with any of this training, so they make their dog everyone else's problem. I don't personally see how they can live it with it though as it would drive me absolutely nuts if it was my dog. If they can't fix it, they absolutely should not have it outside all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally, and I speak as a dog owner myself, the law against XL bullies is a bit piecemeal.
I think what really needs to happen is the owner, or the 'dog handler' or 'responsible person' at the time of any attack, should be treated in law as if they had carried out the attack themselves.

So we should be looking at ABH, GBH, or even manslaughter charges (in the case of a death) against the owners, or handlers of dogs that are allowed cause injury to members of the public, in a public space.

Caporegime
There's only one assured solution to this and it's a mandatory, enforced cull.

They should be treated like terrorists who are armed and dealt with accordingly.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've changed my mind. Yes.

iiggmNb.png

Back
Top Bottom