F1 2016 car launch details

Man of Honour
The matt paint job is going to suck under the lights of the evening/night races.

Although it really does look a bit like they've just forgotten to put the lacquer coat on an old Toro Rosso

Caporegime
Launches are pointless, new pics of Merc's W07 though that Sky got on camera during the filming day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfFDrwwhZS0&feature=youtu.be

29-33 seconds it's on camera close but poor quality and increasingly blurry due to direction of movement.

The airbox is insane, it's huge, utterly huge. There is a part around 32 seconds you get a half clear(pause and click till you find it) image which suggests to me the airbox back to almost the exhaust is way thicker than last year and it looks like the sidepods could be much more aggressively cut back into the main body as well as shorter. Dare I say, from really bad quality pictures, it looks a little Mclaren like... smaller side bods and fat above the engine instead?

Caporegime
In testing they might put on a bigger cover and more airflow for the first few days while cranking it up but promotional shots need to look like how their final car will(or think it will). They only get 20-25laps(100km) depending on track length and a single day regardless of how many laps they get so they focus on electronic shakedown and getting it running. They don't do hot laps or push the engine, cooling isn't close to an issue on a press day.

So that all does suggest the huge airbox and very big/wide area behind it is the way the car will run this year(unless it sucks in testing and they have a fall back).

Anyway, that video is horrible, pause it and it gets darker and has adverts plastered all over it ... it was also posted up on their website 2+ hours after I posted ;)

Soldato
Anyway, that video is horrible, pause it and it gets darker and has adverts plastered all over it ... it was also posted up on their website 2+ hours after I posted ;)

Well if you use Internet Explorer it probably does, but that's your fault. :p And it was posted on the Sky website at midday, but they must have edited the page. I watched it in the barbers while waiting to get my hair cut. :p

Presumably the final car will look like that, but I don't think a fat airbox is going to spoil what amounts to an advert for F1 dunces. Monday might tell when the photographers get some shots in changing light to see if there are any obvious channels in the inlets, or perhaps we'll even see a naked shot this weekend. It surely can't all be for the engine charge anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mercy cockpit view looks horrible.

Like the black of McLaren, but will it actually finish a race.

14b2plc.jpg

But as someone else said, the cars will change so much before the first race, these launches are utterly pointless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom