F1 2016 car launch details

Caporegime
Well if you use Internet Explorer it probably does, but that's your fault. :p And it was posted on the Sky website at midday, but they must have edited the page. I watched it in the barbers while waiting to get my hair cut. :p

Presumably the final car will look like that, but I don't think a fat airbox is going to spoil what amounts to an advert for F1 dunces. Monday might tell when the photographers get some shots in changing light to see if there are any obvious channels in the inlets, or perhaps we'll even see a naked shot this weekend. It surely can't all be for the engine charge anyway.

There is a shot somewhere of I think Nico in the car showing the airbox, looks like it's split 4 ways. Certainly looks to me like their intention is more rads fed by the airbox and sidepods probably slimmed down due to rads being moved or made much smaller.

smr

smr

Soldato
Mercy cockpit view looks horrible.

Like the black of McLaren, but will it actually finish a race.

14b2plc.jpg

But as someone else said, the cars will change so much before the first race, these launches are utterly pointless.

Somethings will change but fundamentally things are in place. Size zero has gone Sub-Zero? Gedoverhere!!!

Man of Honour
Well no, reports say same size or even slightly larger.
And size zero doesn't mean a lot. Williams went size zero for years and well they haven't won much,

Caporegime
it looks very 'square' with very few flowing lines over the nose and cockpit. They used to say a fast looking car usually is just that. Fast. To me that looks slow.

Soldato
Maybe McLaren are just making sure they're not too visible in case it all goes horribly wrong like last year?

Hope they've actually made the gains they've been talking about.

Caporegime

Yeah, looked like it from dodgy pics from filming day. Top view would make it easier to see how small the sidepods are. Certainly looks fatter at the top and thinner at the sides as a result. Also it's pretty much got wings hanging off the airbox intake as well. I saw them in the media days and assumed it was extra cameras or even aero measuring but that they've turned up in launch pics suggests they are permanent.

Man of Honour
McLaren has the s-duct *or whatever it's called now* in it's front bulkhead/nose. The black will hide many of the new details

You can pretty much ignore the front and rear wings of the launch cars. It's normally one of last years that's been bolted on to hide the new toys.

The Mercedes, will the nose change to the mini-dong style or will they stick to the stubby? The hoop intake is huge and looks to be split into at least 3 parts. Possibly as many as 6. That's some insane levels of ducting if it's that high.

Looking forward to seeing the Haas tbh. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it's essentially last years Ferrari with a few tweaks due to their *cough* technical cooperation *cough*

Also it's pretty much got wings hanging off the airbox intake as well. I saw them in the media days and assumed it was extra cameras or even aero measuring but that they've turned up in launch pics suggests they are permanent.

They're the thermal/hidef/highspeed cameras in aero neutral housings. Surprised they've put them on there for the press shots. They're often on the cars in FP1 sessions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They're the thermal/hidef/highspeed cameras in aero neutral housings. Surprised they've put them on there for the press shots. They're often on the cars in FP1 sessions.

Aero neutral... is rarely a thing. As aero neutral as possible, if they can condition the airflow at all as Merc want then maybe they are using them like the nose camera mounts which are also supposed to be aero neutral. As you say it's that they are there on the press shots that makes me think they are permanent

Some goings on with Mclaren, seems like that picture that leaked yesterday absolutely wasn't supposed to... looks like someone might be in big trouble soon.

As for the Haas car, I see a lot of people making statements here and elsewhere about it looking basic and not having many details on it and I honestly can't understand it. Where the cheap cars well, cheap out, is in things like the front wing, getting the body work tighter and making more difficult noses. It has a fairly complex front wing, pretty contoured body work into the rear of the car, a good rear wing, barge boards, etc. What exactly makes it a basic looking car?

Don't think it looks great in terms of livery but in terms of aero design it looks miles beyond a Manor/Sauber.

Back
Top Bottom