F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Exactly. I think there's two issues with Perez though, it's not just him being a bit naff. RB have, and always will develop the car towards Max's style -- so that also makes the gulf in ability look much wider.

But like you say, if Merc and Ferrari (and Mclaren) are even slightly closer this season then Perez is going to be totally embarrassed, very quickly. Hamilton nearly took P2 off him last year in the third/fourth fastest car...

Perez is a good driver, not a great one who could quickly adapt to a car that required him to change his driving style.

Hamilton or Alonso would have on Verstappen’s gearbox by the second race weekend if they’d been given the second RedBull seat last year.

Soldato
2024 Predictions:
Blackvault's Predictions
1st WDC - Max Verstappen
2nd WDC - Carlos Sainz
3rd WDC - Charles Leclerc

1st WCC - Red Bull Racing
2nd WCC - Ferrari
3rd WCC - Mercedes

Other notable mentions
Haas will continue to languish at the back of the grid.
Albon gets onto the podium.
Apline to implode as usual.

Caporegime
I'd love to see sainz get the better of leclerc.
I'd also love to see ferrari push RBR so much they need a really good Second driver for 2025.

Apparently some chat about alpine being bottom of the pile. As someone who (for some reason) supports that team it's what they deserve.

They've handled everything terribly. Management are dire. They treated piastri like garbage. Their two drivers are mediocre.
They are the so corporate they have nothing interesting about them.
Not the worst season to lose full access to races to.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Okay, prediction time then, here are mine:

WDC

1st Max
2nd Leclerc
3rd Lewis
Last: KMag

WCC

1st Ferrari
2nd Red Bull
3rd Mercedes
Last: Haas

Ricciardo is announced as going to Red Bull to replace Pérez in 2025 but Sergio is allowed to finish the season. Lance announces his retirement from F1. Alonso wins a race. And a bonus highly unlikely prediction: Logan loses his seat to Kimi Antonelli for the Monza GP - the first GP Kimi will be old enough to race at - and Kimi still has enough of a lead to win the F2 title despite missing the last four races.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that’s what separates the good from the great. Some drivers can drive whatever is underneath them whereas others are a bit lost if the car doesn’t suit their style. Max, Lewis and Alonso are probably the only current drivers that can maximise their performance regardless of what they are driving.
I agree but so was Ricciardo at Mclaren who many are saying should be replacing Perez.

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay, prediction time then, here are mine:

WDC

1st Max
2nd Leclerc
3rd Lewis
Last: KMag

WCC

1st Ferrari
2nd Red Bull
3rd Mercedes

Ricciardo is announced as going to Red Bull to replace Pérez in 2025 but Sergio is allowed to finish the season. Lance announces his retirement from F1. Alonso wins a race. And a bonus highly unlikely prediction: Logan loses his seat to Kimi Antonelli for the Monza GP - the first GP Kimi will be old enough to race at - and Kimi still has enough of a lead to win the F2 title despite missing the last four races.

WDC

1st Max
2nd Hamilton
3rd Leclerc
Last: Sargeant

WCC

1st Red Bull
2nd Mercedes
3rd Ferrari

Mine above. I think Merc having been hiding a lot of pace and will be strong to the point of starting to pressure RB. Other RB will be annoyingly strong.

Caporegime
Mine above. I think Merc having been hiding a lot of pace and will be strong to the point of starting to pressure RB. Other RB will be annoyingly strong.

I think Merc are going to spend at least the first half of the season getting on top of their new concept; but it'll come good towards the end. Ferrari will, in contrast, will be strong from the start. Red Bull will be better than both all season, but not so far ahead that track differences and dumb luck don't let the other teams take wins. And, Pérez will be mostly off the podium as various combinations of better drivers in slightly worse cars are able to consistently beat him enough so that the combination of Leclerc's speed and Sainz's brains and consistency let Ferrari beat them in the WCC.

Not long until we find out how much egg we're going to get on our faces!

Soldato
Doesnt drive fan growth as much as competitive season would... Maybe if Perez was sacked and someone half way competent was there might make it bearable... Alonso, Norris, Sainz... But Perez IS a donkey
RB wont let Max get challenged, they will deliberately not pick someone like Lewis or Alonso, and also gimp the second car. Historically they have been a one driver team.

Man of Honour
OP
Drivers Champ

1st Verstappen
2nd Sainz
3rd Hamilton
Last: Sergant

Constructors Champ

1st Red Bull
2nd Ferrari
3rd Mercedes

Others:

• Red Bull sand-bagging in testing and are further ahead in Bahrain than they were last year
  • Norris gets his first race win this season
  • Alonso wins another race and announces he's off to Mercedes for 2025
  • Perez is replaced by Ricciardo before the mid-season point; Lawson moves to VISA Cash RB whatever it is!
  • Sergant binned mid season and replaced with Schumacher

Last edited:
Soldato
WDC

1st Verstappen
2nd Perez
3rd Hamilton
Last Hulkenberg

WCC

1st Red Bull Racing
2nd Ferrari
3rd Mercedes
Last Haas

Others:
  • Red Bull with a huge margin and actually manage the 100% win rate, so much margin in fact that Perez still gets 2nd and even gets a 1 year contract extension
  • Mercedes and Ferrari battling for second best, Ferrari get the WCC but drivers to inconsistent/poor strategy to stop Hamilton getting 3rd in WDC, Russell's performances are again underwhelming
  • Audi officially pull out of the F1/Sauber deal, Andretti come in and buy the team outright

Last edited:
Soldato
Drivers Champ

1st Verstappen
2nd Sainz
3rd Hamilton
Last: Sergant

Constructors Champ

1st Red Bull
2nd Ferrari
3rd Mercedes

Others:

• Red Bull sand-bagging in testing and are further ahead in Bahrain than they were last year
  • Norris gets his first race win this season
  • Alonso wins another race and announces he's off to Mercedes for 2025
  • Perez is replaced by Ricciardo before the mid-season point; Lawson moves to VISA Cash RB whatever it is!
  • Sergant binned mid season and replaced with Schumacher
You had me up Sergeant being replaced by Schumacher as doesn’t Sergeant bring in a whole U-Haul truck load of $$$?

Soldato
I think Merc are going to spend at least the first half of the season getting on top of their new concept; but it'll come good towards the end. Ferrari will, in contrast, will be strong from the start. Red Bull will be better than both all season, but not so far ahead that track differences and dumb luck don't let the other teams take wins. And, Pérez will be mostly off the podium as various combinations of better drivers in slightly worse cars are able to consistently beat him enough so that the combination of Leclerc's speed and Sainz's brains and consistency let Ferrari beat them in the WCC.

Not long until we find out how much egg we're going to get on our faces!
The fly in ointment could be Mclaren, however I personally never make predictions as who knows, the Red Bull could be fragile this year.
We just don't know...

Caporegime
You had me up Sergeant being replaced by Schumacher as doesn’t Sergeant bring in a whole U-Haul truck load of $$$?

I don't think Williams are that cash-strapped these days, but also whilst Logan does have backing so does Schumacher. Logan's is more US-centric, whilst Mick's has German backers. Dorington (or however you spell that?) are probably more interested in the US-side. Neither of them have Lance or Latifi level backing.

Soldato
Max, Lewis and Alonso are probably the only current drivers that can maximise their performance regardless of what they are driving.
It's definitely not fair on Lewis and Alonso to include Max there. He's only ever driven in F1 for a single team, and won 3 championships in a row, with the same team that has pretty much been built around him. Lewis has won with two different teams (and got very close besides). Yes Alonso has won only with the same team but he has often excelled in others, just not quite making it to P1. (e.g. three P2s at Ferrari). We all know it's luck as a driver to be in the right team, with the right car, I'm not sure why you'd have Max in that list.
Oh I'd love to see Sainz have a stunning year. P2 in the championship would be hilarious.
Yeah same. He seems like a stand-up guy. No bluster or arrogance, and quite a talented driver to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom