F1 Season 2024 - Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Like i said, he still got 2nd in the championship. Thats a lot better than the rest of the field.

I guess you are an RB hater...
I think people are just wary of the fact that his car should've made 2nd a forgone conclusion but instead it was a pretty painful, drawn out affair and most of the talk about him was whether his job was safe or not... Lol!

It didn't scream solid number 2. Well, not in that way...

Soldato
I fully expect RB to walk this season again.
whilst other teams were busy bringing upgrades to last seasons cars, RB were so far ahead they started development on the 2024 car earlier than everyone.
They were still miles ahead at the end of last season, it would take something monumental for other teams to catch them,

as for teams sandbagging in testing, don't they literally all do that ?

Associate
The question is whether they're going to get that comfortable WCC with a poor second driver, and whether Max is going to need a decent rear gunner at some point. A better driver in the second seat and Red Bull would probably have taken the WCC in '21.

And maybe even the WDC too

Caporegime
Like i said, he still got 2nd in the championship. Thats a lot better than the rest of the field.

My dog could have secured 2nd in the drivers championship in that car.

Perez was rubbish last season for the most part.

RB better hope their car is as dominant as it was last year, or the constructors might start looking awfully dodgy if Perez doesn't get better form.

Soldato
WDC

1st Hamilton
2nd Verstappen
3rd Leclerc
Last: Magnussen

WCC

1st Red Bull
2nd Mercedes
3rd Ferrari
Last: Haas

Too easy to say Max will walk it again, okay, he probably will but I think there's a good chance Mercedes will have made the necessary improvements.
I'm hoping those three drivers/constructors take both championships to the final race!

Associate
My dog could have secured 2nd in the drivers championship in that car.

Perez was rubbish last season for the most part.

RB better hope their car is as dominant as it was last year, or the constructors might start looking awfully dodgy if Perez doesn't get better form.

Perez was poor, I agree. In the most dominant F1 car ever made he regularly struggled to compete.

However, Max has more points himself than the next closest team. He had 575, Mercedes had 409. Given that other teams behind are getting more competitive with each other e.g. McLaren v Ferrari v Merc, it's fair to assume their points will likely be spread relatively evenly. Therefore, RBR will be fine with Max doing 90% of the work for them.

Plus I expect they've taken another step forward in performance, quite a machine.

Associate
2024 Predictions:

Tigget's Predictions:

1st WDC - Verstappen
2nd WDC - Perez
3rd WDC - Hamilton

1st WCC - Red Bull Racing
2nd WCC - Mercedes
3rd WCC - McLaren

Last edited:
Associate
Perez was poor, I agree. In the most dominant F1 car ever made he regularly struggled to compete.

However, Max has more points himself than the next closest team. He had 575, Mercedes had 409. Given that other teams behind are getting more competitive with each other e.g. McLaren v Ferrari v Merc, it's fair to assume their points will likely be spread relatively evenly. Therefore, RBR will be fine with Max doing 90% of the work for them.

Plus I expect they've taken another step forward in performance, quite a machine.
It'll come down to how competitive the upper midfield is and whether the likes of Ferrari or Alonso can steal a win or 2 from Max.

AM fell of the pace in the 2nd half, which is also when McLaren started improving. Ferrari was very inconsistent. Merc steadily improved over the season.

Caporegime

That is true about the field behind them last year. RB benefitted from Ferrari, Merc, Mclaren and Aston Martin jostling for 2nd fastest car at different times through the season.

If one team becomes a very firm 2nd fastest this season though, Perez needs get better or RB might be in trouble.

For example what happens if Ferrari (hypothetically) get rather close to the RB and take the majority of the 2nd and 3rd places, with Perez shunted to 4th or worse with lots of DNFs and mistakes etc? Things could start to get sticky constructors wise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have there been any improvements in F1's driving gloves since Grosjean's accident? It was very noticeable that his only visible injuries were burns to his hands.

Soldato
Wolff says Merc only gave Lewis a short contract because they wanted to make sure they had space for Antonelli. Given how many times we've seen teams bungle the handling of their star rookies that seems like it was a good move, tbh.
I do seem to recall both Merc and Hamilton had an option to bin it after a year. So it kind of makes sense for Hamilton to pre-emptively jump elsewhere. At least he’s in control of his own destiny then? (If the dual option thing was true..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom