Fallout: New Vegas

Soldato
I think you should try it. Fallout 3 GOTY is cheap so better to 'waste' a little money on that to see if you like it instead of £40 or so for New Vegas.

Associate
Looking at the review has made me a little more hopeful about the game. Marcus is in it and he looks like himself... like a supermutant! Not the glorified orcs from FO3. Hopefully the others do too. I wonder if Michael Dorn is doing his voice again.

Caporegime
I think you should try it. Fallout 3 GOTY is cheap so better to 'waste' a little money on that to see if you like it instead of £40 or so for New Vegas.

But hopefully NV is going to be different to fo3.

That's the whole point of it.

oh and good to see traits are back in.

Soldato
Not too different hopefully. FO3 was an excellent game.

Yes it was... but if you aren't going to innovate enough theres not a lot of point making a new game that is really a glorified expansion, after all its using an identical engine isn't it? While the story does sound like it has potential, it may just fall flat on its face and let you become the master of all trades and grandmaster/leader/masterchief of all factions which, while funny, does kinda spoil replay value.

The thing is that a lot of these changes were made from mods on FO3. While its good that they're taking ideas from the community it doesn't sound like they came up with anything new. I have FWE installed on my FO3. I already have the 'hardcore mode' things which alone aren't remotely hardcore and need significant changes in the general difficulty of the game to matter. I already have weapon modification kits. I already have a variety of new weapons and monsters (and better ranking systems for factions to give them more variety). I could install the Iron Sights mod but i couldn't be arsed (and the review says some of the iron sights suck like hell anyway). I could install extra perk mods which no doubt some of the new ones probably took inspiration from so i couldn't say how many of those are original either.

Basically it could be that aside from the story, there is almost nothing new from FO3.

Soldato
So I just heard that GAME will not be sending CEs outside UK.

I want to punch someone from GAME in the face (is that allowed to say this, or is it too polliticaly incorrect?

Soldato
Playing Fallout 3 now to get back into the swing of things :D Not long now :p

Anyone know if you buy the Retail version - can you add the serial to your Steam Account?

Associate
Playing Fallout 3 now to get back into the swing of things :D Not long now :p

Anyone know if you buy the Retail version - can you add the serial to your Steam Account?

Fallout:New Vegas is a steamworks game, so requies steam to authorize once and includes achivements and all the other bits steamworks games have :)

Caporegime
Same engine, textures, models (with some new for NV). But most importantly a Sr. Designer Chris_Avellone who really knows good rpgs and story, aswell as a handfull of other black isle crew now, employed by Obsidian Entertainment (black isle studios the origin of Fallout 1-2 iirc).

Yep hoping for great things from Avellone :D

He's got one of the best RPg histories ever :d

Associate
I do love Bethesda games but it always takes me a while to get into them.. I tried oblivion over and over again and never got into it and when I eventually played it for a little longer than usual I was absolutely hooked. The most annoying thing with their games is that they're SO unpolished.
Buggy, Glitchy and sometimes you get into situations where you have to start the entire game again cause of their save system.

Like where I am at the moment... I saved in a tunnel on my way somewhere but it seems everytime I try and get any further I just die as I have little to no health left. WHen I was playing Oblivion and was a vampire, upon leaving an oblivion gate it was sunlight and I had to run as fast as I could to a house before I got killed by the sun... its stuff like this that really annoys me.

As someone else mentioned, the animations are absolutely shocking... Its such a huge game but there are so many times when Bethesda de-immerse you from the game due to a bug, glitch or major annoyance.

I'm with fox on this one... you say anything different around here and you're slapped around, labelled a troll and shouted at

Last edited:
Yes it was... but if you aren't going to innovate enough theres not a lot of point making a new game that is really a glorified expansion, after all its using an identical engine isn't it? While the story does sound like it has potential, it may just fall flat on its face and let you become the master of all trades and grandmaster/leader/masterchief of all factions which, while funny, does kinda spoil replay value.

The thing is that a lot of these changes were made from mods on FO3. While its good that they're taking ideas from the community it doesn't sound like they came up with anything new. I have FWE installed on my FO3. I already have the 'hardcore mode' things which alone aren't remotely hardcore and need significant changes in the general difficulty of the game to matter. I already have weapon modification kits. I already have a variety of new weapons and monsters (and better ranking systems for factions to give them more variety). I could install the Iron Sights mod but i couldn't be arsed (and the review says some of the iron sights suck like hell anyway). I could install extra perk mods which no doubt some of the new ones probably took inspiration from so i couldn't say how many of those are original either.

Basically it could be that aside from the story, there is almost nothing new from FO3.

New map, new quests, new characters. There's nothing wrong with the "doom 2" philosophy of sequel making when the original was so good. Better they do it like that, than change everything and end up with a pile of crap like deus ex 2 or op flashpoint DR.

Soldato
I do love Bethesda games but it always takes me a while to get into them.. I tried oblivion over and over again and never got into it and when I eventually played it for a little longer than usual I was absolutely hooked. The most annoying thing with their games is that they're SO unpolished.
Buggy, Glitchy and sometimes you get into situations where you have to start the entire game again cause of their save system.

Like where I am at the moment... I saved in a tunnel on my way somewhere but it seems everytime I try and get any further I just die as I have little to no health left. WHen I was playing Oblivion and was a vampire, upon leaving an oblivion gate it was sunlight and I had to run as fast as I could to a house before I got killed by the sun... its stuff like this that really annoys me.

As someone else mentioned, the animations are absolutely shocking... Its such a huge game but there are so many times when Bethesda de-immerse you from the game due to a bug, glitch or major annoyance.

I'm with fox on this one... you say anything different around here and you're slapped around, labelled a troll and shouted at

You call that buggy or glitchy? I would call that ROLE PLAYING. Vampires take damage in the sun depending on how long it was since they last fed. If you emerge from an Oblivion Gate in the middle of the day without enough healing items/spells or without feeding before you entered what exactly did you expect?

Yes Bethesda games do tend to be insanely buggy which is usually why unofficial patches are the best thing ever produced, but it kinda helps if you can differentiate between a bug and gameplay...

New map, new quests, new characters. There's nothing wrong with the "doom 2" philosophy of sequel making when the original was so good. Better they do it like that, than change everything and end up with a pile of crap like deus ex 2 or op flashpoint DR.

Well its a fair point but that was 10+ years ago. It is entirely plausible that trying new things could end up with an Deus Ex: Invisible War but at least they tried, even if they were poor decisions. It doesn't sound like they've changed anything that was wrong with the game originally and just added in a few bits from mods. Thats not really innovation...

Soldato
Reviews seem to suggest is a very similar game - bugs and all :(

They've also put a lot of stat-boosting items in too, making it even easier to cover a lot of areas. Hopefully they're not too easy to find.

In what way? The majority of the armour was stat boosting in little ways with only special unique pieces giving unusual benefits.

Unless you mean more than just Bobbleheads for giving permanent stat boosts or just boosts from having them in your inventory. I did very much prefer the Bobblehead changes on FWE. +5 instead of +10 and to raise a stat by 1 you had to choose 1 from a few others to lower. Ideally they should be +5/-5 so that going around collecting them is a tradeoff rather than a collection spree. You can enhance the skills valuable to you while lowering those less valuable.

Rave why does that link say borderlands? ><

Back
Top Bottom