Fallout TV series being developed by Amazon

Soldato
Don't get the female lead hate and the whole she's too small to do any damage, I never thought that when I did a full playthrough with my female character of Fallout 4 and I wonder how much of the player base played a female protagonist thinking the same.

QAO1A9l.jpg

Screenshot from 2016.

Last edited:
Soldato
If given the option I always create / choose a female character in games. It's more weird for me wanting to stare at some computer generated guys a$$ for 60 hours xD Women always get the cooler looking armor etc too :)

Exactly. In the early 00's I started playing DAoC and it turned out someone I knew was playing it. When we first met up in game he was playing a female character. I asked him why and he said the same thing. If I have to look at a characters bum when I play a game it may as well be a female bum. To this day he denies saying that but I know 100% he did.

Where possible I've played female characters since.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
I truly hope there are no females in the lives of some of the posters here. Social services might need to visit.

I'm looking forward to it and I couldn't give a toss if the main character was female or anything. I'll judge the show on if I like it or not.
Seriously, if you can't understand that it's not the fact it's a female lead, but how they are portrayed, you just don't want to see the issue ;)

Caporegime
Well Bethesda is involved so naturally it won't be what it ought it be thematically, but to be fair the sarcastic tones of Fallout could give some cover for some ironic portrayals that I doubt they'll bother with sadly.

Permabanned
Is this a serious post?

I watch the trailer and see a new TV character leaving a vault, very much like it happened in the game.

I didn't even look at the positions of all the men relative to her.

Probably why I just get on with trying to enjoy entertainment and don't have all these weird hangups about female characters.

Never understood people using the game to back up their opinion. Does that mean you'd find it acceptable for the protagonist to beat death claws to a pulp with just their bare hands? Because you can do that in the game too.

Anyway, so you're at the other end of the spectrum despite my earlier argument, finding my reasoning weird coupled with noticing none of what I saw. I'm not surprised you didn't clock onto the aforementioned guy cowering in fear squealing her name. I think this is just another textbook example of how brainwashed you and many others have become subjected to years of this subliminal messaging crap. If you saw this back in the day after watching hours of Roger Moore doling out backhanders you'd have something to say.

Misogynist-woman-beater-Andrew-Tate-worshipper? As said there can always be opportunities for women to play roles as formidable characters that are believable without feeling they're there simply to push an agenda, appease investors and tick PC boxes. I'm actually hard-pressed to come up with anything that I've watched in recent times that I could give an example of this. Ah, Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl, there we go. Only 10 years ago...

Was also a bit taken aback by Andor. In the first confrontational scene with the actress, I was just waiting for her to kick about 10 men off the screen but no, something very down-to-earth happened instead. So it's a shame to have to say that was extremely refreshing to see in a world where women have continued to reign supreme this last decade, thanks to their audience's support and sub-standards, trying to entertain themselves with this nonsensical casting, unwilling to make a stance for anything better.

I mean, are you really going to tell yourself that this is the chosen one because you could do so in the game? This comfortable, pretty girl? I think we all know what would really happen to her venturing out alone into a ******** like that.

On that note, I think I'll call it now as this show is clearly giving off the wrong vibe opting for wacky stuff with the likes of cyclops showing off its comedic side. Also as per above, everything looks too clean for a post-apocalyptic setting. In fact, it's more impressionable to a junkyard carnival out back in some desert than it is anywhere remotely close to capturing the atmosphere of Fallout.

Man of Honour
From what I gather the best thing about 3D Fallout was the modding scene so it's actually super fitting that this looks like a shiny high res version of what was initially intended:p

I'm on the fence with this. I never really played anything apart from the ginger stepchild that was Fallout 2. I was only 10 and for me it was quite an adult experience - especially for 1998 standards - so it left quite a mark. With that in mind, I find even Fallout 3's (somewhat necessary due to the POV) tonal abstraction to be non "canon" in terms of representing the original artistic intent. It's very difficult (maybe impossible?) to recreate the feeling of an experience on medium A with an experience on medium B, but I hope they can root out any possible way to make it more like the original 2d games. Given the direction of modern Bethesda and modern TV productions... I hope I'm wrong but I believe skepticism is not unwarranted.

I can see both sides of the "strong independent female" issue. On the one hand it could be just fine but within the context of modern media I think it's perfectly reasonable to be suspicious of the way it seems to be setting itself up. Hopefully this is a total false alarm, but the alarm is there loud and clear.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see both sides of the "strong independent female" issue. On the one hand it could be just fine but within the context of modern media I think it's perfectly reasonable to be suspicious of the way it seems to be setting itself up. Hopefully this is a total false alarm, but the alarm is there loud and clear.
From a brief watch of the trailer, I didn't pick up on the #metoo and just assumed female lead - hopefully it's more Furiosa than She-Hulk :) . But yes, the red flags are there.

I did wonder from the power amour if the show wasn't going to be entirely serious.

Man of Honour
From a brief watch of the trailer, I didn't pick up on the #metoo and just assumed female lead - hopefully it's more Furiosa than She-Hulk :) . But yes, the red flags are there.

I did wonder from the power amour if the show wasn't going to be entirely serious.
Yeah you can't have Fallout without brutality, bleakness but also surreal humour (I think the 2D games did this best as it was necessary to fill in the blanks).

It shows they at least at least get what they're supposed to be doing. However, just because the ingredients might be there it's not really ever about the idea, it's about the execution. Fingers crossed it isn't pants.

Soldato
Never understood people using the game to back up their opinion. Does that mean you'd find it acceptable for the protagonist to beat death claws to a pulp with just their bare hands? Because you can do that in the game too.

Anyway, so you're at the other end of the spectrum despite my earlier argument, finding my reasoning weird coupled with noticing none of what I saw. I'm not surprised you didn't clock onto the aforementioned guy cowering in fear squealing her name. I think this is just another textbook example of how brainwashed you and many others have become subjected to years of this subliminal messaging crap. If you saw this back in the day after watching hours of Roger Moore doling out backhanders you'd have something to say.

Misogynist-woman-beater-Andrew-Tate-worshipper? As said there can always be opportunities for women to play roles as formidable characters that are believable without feeling they're there simply to push an agenda, appease investors and tick PC boxes. I'm actually hard-pressed to come up with anything that I've watched in recent times that I could give an example of this. Ah, Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl, there we go. Only 10 years ago...

Was also a bit taken aback by Andor. In the first confrontational scene with the actress, I was just waiting for her to kick about 10 men off the screen but no, something very down-to-earth happened instead. So it's a shame to have to say that was extremely refreshing to see in a world where women have continued to reign supreme this last decade, thanks to their audience's support and sub-standards, trying to entertain themselves with this nonsensical casting, unwilling to make a stance for anything better.

I mean, are you really going to tell yourself that this is the chosen one because you could do so in the game? This comfortable, pretty girl? I think we all know what would really happen to her venturing out alone into a ******** like that.

On that note, I think I'll call it now as this show is clearly giving off the wrong vibe opting for wacky stuff with the likes of cyclops showing off its comedic side. Also as per above, everything looks too clean for a post-apocalyptic setting. In fact, it's more impressionable to a junkyard carnival out back in some desert than it is anywhere remotely close to capturing the atmosphere of Fallout.
How many days a week to you crack one off to a copy of the road?

Associate
If given the option I always create / choose a female character in games. It's more weird for me wanting to stare at some computer generated guys a$$ for 60 hours xD Women always get the cooler looking armor etc too :)

I've never really understood this argument, and the way people smugly say it like it's a huge "gotcha". Fallout in particular, you're probably playing in first person mode, so what your character looks like is moot.

But even if not, third person games in general, you're not staring at your character the majority of the time, you're literally doing the opposite. You're focusing on the view outside of the character, to avoid the giant Deathclaw or the gang of Raiders or landmines or whatever else.

Soldato
I envy some of you in the films sub-forum. You've always got something to moan and whine about with regards to tv/movies. Boo women. Boo diversity. Boo the woke-boogey-monster.

Sadly, I think I have too much going on in the real world to get bothered by a female lead or if a female may be strong. Give me a good story and I couldn't care less if it's a man or woman lead.

Some of you are like greyhounds at a starting line just waiting to get riled up and chase the woke rabbit. Admit it. You enjoy moaning about it more than it actually is an 'issue'. I bet if it was The Rock you wouldn't be picking holes in the ability to believe someone would maintain that level of muscle mass in an apocalypse. Same way I doubt any of you would've complained if Tom Cruise was the lead and you expect some 5'6/7' man to be able to hold his own in that new world.

But because a woman dared step out first, the series is a right write off and can't be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom