Final Fantasy 16

Soldato
The combat is much shallower than DMC. That game takes actual skill if you want to play it properly and Dante is one of the most mechanically complex chars in the genre and most likely overall. If you play it above casual level, you'll get what I mean but I honestly don't think I could even get good enough to appreciate it fully because it takes a lot of time.

Why they thought it would be a good fit for FF, especially in such a dumbed-down form, I cannot explain.

Skillup was right on the money as 90% of the time, that's why I decided to wait. That and the laughable performance.

Associate
I agree, performance is serviceable. I'm running in graphics mode which is a stable 30 fps, at least. Performance mode is wonky though, with frame rate dips and much lower resolution in combat. Story is the best part, thus far. But according to game info I've already completed a third of the game and I've only played 7 hours. Is it really that short ?

Soldato
I agree, performance is serviceable. I'm running in graphics mode which is a stable 30 fps, at least. Performance mode is wonky though, with frame rate dips and much lower resolution in combat. Story is the best part, thus far. But according to game info I've already completed a third of the game and I've only played 7 hours. Is it really that short ?
It’s not short.

Where are you up to ?

Soldato
Unfortunately, I stopped taking "serviceable" with 60-70 dollar games, especially with this drop in IQ and still not able to maintain 60fps. I also played the demo and it wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe the framerate at this sort of image quality. Well, even if it ran perfectly cutscenes are still stuck at 30fps regardless of mode so whatever.

Graphics mode is serviceable if you can stomach 30fps in 2023 on a console that many deem to be plenty powerful enough but I unfortunately can't. It just feels even worse on Oled.

Combat is probably decent for people who have no experience with the genre or just don't care about that aspect or some challenge and it just needs to look flashy, I wouldn't even mind if the game ran properly.

Story, I don't know so won't comment but something tells me it wouldn'tt blow my socks off judging by what people call a great story nowadays. If it does, then fair play, I'll get to know once they patch in 40fps mode or on PC.

Last edited:
Soldato
not reading all that. :p we get it. You dont plan on buying it, or care to play it. I don’t understand why you’re still here to keep banging on about it.

Anyway. Moving on.

I think Clive is one my my favourite characters in final fantasy so far. Some great moments, and also banter with cid!

Soldato
Because I was interested in it and will play it at some point, sorry to have hurt your feelings:p Don't need to use "we", not that many people in here discussing how incredible it is.

Soldato
The more I'm playing this the more I'm realising the Eikonic challenge was a bit unrepresentative. They put you in this early game scenario equivalent with loads of abilities, you just cycle through everything and win. Mid game you might be able to play like that but it would really drag fights out as compared to fighting "correctly" e.g. getting deadly embrace out at the right time, using stagger heavy moves up front and damage heavy moves during stagger periods.

I can see they're adding abilities etc. little by little in the mid game so will be interesting to see how it all adds up in the late game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aww the ending hit me in the feels. In retrospec i wish i had stuck to the main story to condense it as most the side quests are kind of pointless besides giving you the option to over-level.

Associate
I've just found out that you can get some cool accessories from doing the trials (I haven't done any yet!) On top of this although I've got to the ending quest the game has dumped a large number of side quests and hunts on me. At this rate I'll be playing this until Remnant 2 releases. Not that I'm complaining I'm really enjoying it.

Soldato
I've just found out that you can get some cool accessories from doing the trials (I haven't done any yet!) On top of this although I've got to the ending quest the game has dumped a large number of side quests and hunts on me. At this rate I'll be playing this until Remnant 2 releases. Not that I'm complaining I'm really enjoying it.
Just a heads up that you can do these quests after completing the game if you so wish as the game spits you out after the ending to where you are now in the game. I did wonder why my belts and wrists were lacking, but i hate trials/challenges so wouldn't have done them anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Its obviously me then because I am finding it all a bit of a chore tbh.

The story is okay but the combat and slogging through the levels is just tedious.

Soldato
Its obviously me then because I am finding it all a bit of a chore tbh.

The story is okay but the combat and slogging through the levels is just tedious.
I feel they should have made it a full on Action-RPG but i feel they felt they would supset the tradtional FF crowd.

Associate
I feel they should have made it a full on Action-RPG but i feel they felt they would supset the tradtional FF crowd.
They've already upset the traditional FF crowd by making this a linear game with action based combat ( as opposed to turn based ) and minimal RPG elements. The more I play it just feels ... off. Some of the eikon battles/cutscenes are top notch, but the segments in between are of variable quality, sometimes dipping below AA standard. To me, this game feels like Tales of Arise with a slightly higher budget. I honestly think SquareEnix have made this game on a much more limited budget than they would normally provide for a mainline FF title. It's not a bad game, but it's not particularly memorable either. Nowhere near GOTY contender material.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think I'm nearish the end but the side quests have gone into overdrive a bit.

It was fine when you had 3 side quests per couple of hours of main story but now it's like - Otto tells me to speak to blackthorne (3 new side quests), speak to blackthorne who tells me to speak to Otto again (6 new side quests). Chill out with the side quests. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom