Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Caporegime
You do not have to use the Sky router with Sky's service. On 90% of their FTTC network and all of the FTTP network you just need a router that supports IPv6, when it requests a prefix it will kick the IPv4 into action.

Soldato
Jpaul yes voip as a replacement for landline
Didn't bother me either losing my home phone
And I always haggle with plusnet
Usually successfully
Though they will double check if you say
company X are offering whatever

Feek I thought sky allowed using your own
Router nowadays

Commissario
OP
You do not have to use the Sky router with Sky's service.
Feek I thought sky allowed using your own
Router nowadays

I've just looked back, I joined Plusnet in 2017 from BT and I moved to BT from Sky so it was probably at least three years prior to 2017 that I was with Sky. Clearly things have moved on, so that's a good thing.

Soldato
i'd been with plusnet since 2013, and have always used an old virgin hub/sh2 as my wireless router, with pigtail from the plusnet one.

I don't care about voip, dumping the landline was something we did as part of re-signing with Plusnet a couple of months ag
only catch , my (old - re-sign is to fibre) landline currently provides better quality calls than all but voip on my mobile, VOLTE/4g is inferior;
I am not yet sure exactly what mobile networks I must ring/witchcraft to get HD or HD+(cd quality apparently) on VOLTE .
so - I was all prepared to abandon landline until that discovery - somewhat described in mobiles thread -

until you have hd/hd+ cellular is only supposed to be the same as an analogue phone ->3.4khz which is a hard limit on car/bt handsfree anyway,
so much for modern technology.

CreaLog-EVS-evolution-en.png

Associate
Im gutted, OR were meant to be rolling out FTTP to our area with a completion date of the end of this year, been chasing them for months and finally got a phone call on Wednesday only to be told that our estate and anywhere else that hadn't been switched on yet is cancelled.

Infuriating as the ducts have been installed to the cab which serves our house but there is no FTTP stuff from there to us as it's all in ducts under the road. Only hope we have now is that Netomia and Spring Fibre have started rolling out bits but it looks like they are a few years away before getting it turned on, that is if they can be bothered to get it to our house unlike OR!

Soldato
Another hiccup I just appreciated for selecting successor to plusnet - my carriers/voda wifi calling currently works with them , but it seems at least BT hub, which I tried at a friends doesn't,
and reading up folks have problem with Sky too.

Could just be BT and sky blocking relevant ports, it's not clear, and bt have fixed it for some folks after they moaned.

I don't care much about the speed, but, this is bread&butter stuff, we have poor 4g cellular coverage, so if they can't guarantee a wifi calling, I won't be investing,
or will be ringing to a least get in on record that their service should work.

Soldato
I think this fibre install will be a pain in the arse -
currently with adsl have an ne socket outside front door and master socket then in living room, so hub fed by that has good wifi signal with stuff in living room
they won't be able to run a fibre to the living room (>10M) rather ont box will I guess, need to be on inner wall near to door (with power supply access?),
that leaves me with problem of running network cable, from that, to hub in living room

Associate
I have the same problem - only I can't get Ethernet cable installed (cheaply anyway - i'm physically disabled, so can't just drill a hole in my wall). 10 metres of internal cable is incredibly short!

Definitely a socket is needed too.

Currently being quoted £150-200 to run Ethernet from downstairs to my bedroom already!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the same problem - only I can't get Ethernet cable installed (cheaply anyway - i'm physically disabled, so can't just drill a hole in my wall). 10 metres of internal cable is incredibly short!

Definitely a socket is needed too.

Currently being quoted £150-200 to run Ethernet from downstairs to my bedroom already!
Yeah know the feeling
I might be able to get down
And run mine around the skirting board
Though would involve a lot of pain
And getting back up would be a whole other story

Depends how difficult your cable run is obviously
But it's what an hour maybe 2 hour job?
Those are the sort of prices a company will hit you with though
Bribe the engineer on the day lol
I fully intend trying to :cry:

Soldato
Obviously everyone's mileage may vary here but I found Openreach very amenable to positioning the ONT where I requested it. For some reason, Openreach initially wanted to fit the ONT in my lounge which is round the side of the house despite the fact that the phone point is in the hall right in the middle of the house. As I have all my server gear and router underneath the stairs next to the phone/ FTTC point I asked if it was possible to have the ONT in the same place. The engineer had a wee think and then took a cable from the side of the house (absolutely no idea why it came up at the side of the house), round the front, up the porch wall, through into the hall and along the top of the wall to the point where I wanted it. The fibre cable is very thin and he did a nice neat job so you can't see it unless you look directly at it.

Soldato
Yeah some of it
Will depend on which engineer
You get on the day definitely
Tea/coffee cake,biscuits to grease the wheels lol
If that fails
I will just get a long ethernet cable
I hate no longer being able to do simple DIY
But I know a guy who will do the ethernet cable
For 30 quid for me

I keep checking so far mines not live
But houses 50 yards away are
It's like waiting for a baby you know it's coming
But not quite exactly when :cry:
I am more excited about getting FTTP than a new grandkid anyway :cry:

Soldato
£30 is completely reasonable!

I wish I could get it for closer to that!
It all depends on your circumstances
But we are lucky to have a handyman who will do
Our jobs cheaply
Because there's quite a few of us here
Who are elderly and/or have health issues
Meaning we can't do it ourselves
Look for local support groups
That's how we found our guy
Fifteen to 20 quid an hour with him is a lifesaver
When you see how much some companies want

Associate
@newuser Thanks that was useful
Yeah plusnet told me flat out
They won't be doing voip when I renewed my contract
Sorry for the late reply, been working.
I heard that the reason for no VOIP is just market segmentation.
Plusnet, cheap end, no add ons but same openreach kit and BT UK call centres.

I feel you on the cabling, I went flat cat 6, sticky backed cable clips and a bit of d-line quarter round trunking.
Wouldn't pass a wife's scrutiny but me and the cats don't care. I've got the router, a couple of APs and and the PCs wired.
Getting 500+ on the laptop and phone. Everything else is on 2.4ghz.

Soldato
Sorry for the late reply, been working.
I heard that the reason for no VOIP is just market segmentation.
Plusnet, cheap end, no add ons but same openreach kit and BT UK call centres.

I feel you on the cabling, I went flat cat 6, sticky backed cable clips and a bit of d-line quarter round trunking.
Wouldn't pass a wife's scrutiny but me and the cats don't care. I've got the router, a couple of APs and and the PCs wired.
Getting 500+ on the laptop and phone. Everything else is on 2.4ghz.
Yeah likewise
My cats don't care lol
But my partners just had both cataracts done
She will spot a bit of cable that's not perfectly fitted
From half a mile away now :cry:
No idea why women are so fussed about seeing a cable lol

Yeah that makes sense
I figured there was no technical reason plusnet
Couldn't do voip

Back
Top Bottom