Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Associate
Yeah likewise
My cats don't care lol
But my partners just had both cataracts done
She will spot a bit of cable that's not perfectly fitted
From half a mile away now :cry:
No idea why women are so fussed about seeing a cable lol
Yeah, my sister walked in and zoomed in on the trunking.
I told her it was a man thing and not to worry her pretty little head.
She's having her first eye op at the end of the month.
I'm not going to let her in anymore.

Soldato
The fibre cable is very thin and he did a nice neat job so you can't see it unless you look directly at it.
doesn't cable need to be protected especially outdoors, so that's a good reason for short runs, maybe they can splice in a cable with thicker sheath though with better protection ?

apart from anything else, if you need to extend from ONT with a cat 5 run I guess I'll have to buy a (apparently) rj45 crimping tool, so I can drill just cable diameter holes through walls/door-frames.
(e: ok thread with the kit i would need https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ay-to-crimp-cat-cable.18986762/#post-37071239 )

I figured there was no technical reason plusnet
Couldn't do voip
which is why I will probably switch to sky - which is cheaper, to boot, unless plusnet make me a retaining offer.

Last edited:
Soldato
FTTP definitely comes in handy sometimes. I've got an up to 900Mbps service and with the size of some game downloads these days its great. For example STAR WARS Jedi - Survivor™ was a whopping 129GB download on the EA App.

I downloaded it in about 27 minutes, max connection speed about 112MB/s but dropped down to around 40MB/s on occasion before going back up again.

Works out at about 80MB/s on average. Its not like you are downloading this amount of data all the time so the speed is there when you need it.

Soldato
doesn't cable need to be protected especially outdoors, so that's a good reason for short runs, maybe they can splice in a cable with thicker sheath though with better protection ?

apart from anything else, if you need to extend from ONT with a cat 5 run I guess I'll have to buy a (apparently) rj45 crimping tool, so I can drill just cable diameter holes through walls/door-frames.
(e: ok thread with the kit i would need https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ay-to-crimp-cat-cable.18986762/#post-37071239 )

which is why I will probably switch to sky - which is cheaper, to boot, unless plusnet make me a retaining offer.
I have always haggled with plusnet
With good results
I check what the competition is offering first
Then phone or live chat plusnet
Obviously they're sitting at a computer
So if you say company X are offering it cheaper
They will look to see if it's correct
Won't just take your word

Commissario
OP
5MagBQk.png
A few days after the last bit of work, the date on this planned work changed from 7th to 9th May.

Today, it's disappeared which I guess means it's now completed.

Soldato
Still no change on mine.

Our pole has the CBT.
BIDB shows several OR roadworks around the town.
OR Fibre Checker shows "Not yet available"

So, who knows really *shrugs*

Last edited:
Soldato
I have always haggled with plusnet
With good results
ultimately wasn't a lot to haggle with plusnet .. they wouldn't have relaxed 24mth lockin or made a voip service available ..
and a few 100Mb more wouldn't make any difference to me;
equally if you are gaming, they couldn't promise a reduced latency either, I'd imagine.

guy from openreach turned up today <week after order and put through cables so that guy from sky can do the bit inside house next week.
openreach guy would have done complete install if i'd stayed with plusnet .. I han't realised, as he said, openreach and plusnet are (close) like that.

Associate
After the nonsense in March where the workers stopped laying the lines just a short distance from my house, I think I might finally be able to get fibre in the next month...
As long as they don't cancel between, I've hopefully got an engineer coming back out at the end of May to have a look to see if they get my house connected.

Associate
Had the EE 500mbps installed today -the connection itself is great! Wish I could say that about the installation - although they installed it where requested, sadly there is some damage (including some wall damage)

Just waiting to get an Ethernet cable fitted now - but even so, I'm seeing some improvement in games compared to on Virgin (on VM - there was basically no difference between WiFi and Ethernet)

16236077853.png

Soldato
Had the EE 500mbps installed today -the connection itself is great! Wish I could say that about the installation - although they installed it where requested, sadly there is some damage (including some wall damage)

Just waiting to get an Ethernet cable fitted now - but even so, I'm seeing some improvement in games compared to on Virgin (on VM - there was basically no difference between WiFi and Ethernet)

16236077853.png
Did you query the damage?
And how bad of a damage are we talking about?

Soldato
EE should mean it was an openreach install - guy who visited me from them seemed very competent but said be very weary of sub-contractors some of them use;
apparently payed £35/install and they do them in the blink of an eye (there were 2 he listed smith e:Morrisons data centres ? and another don't remember e2: Kelly maybe )
Sky installers have been re-trained from satellite dish installs

Last edited:
Associate
I got unlucky then - I had MJ Quinn's, so wouldn't be surprised if there's poor training.

I have heard lots of bad things about the Kelly subs they use.

Last edited:
Soldato
I assume they drill through the wall from outside?
If you don't do the last bit pretty slow
And gently
Usually means the drill bit pushes the last
Bit of brick/masonry/etc inwards
Leaving an "exit wound damage"
Instead of a nice clean hole
If they're on day rate they should be able to
Drill a nice clean hole taking their time
If a sub contractor is on 35 quid a job
They're likely not to take same amount of care

None of which is your problem
Unless you were specifically told there may be
Some damage during installation
And agreed to it
You should get some sort of compensation

Caporegime
Drilling is always inside to out so they don't hit cables or pipes, it's very difficult not to blow brick out doing that unless you get lucky and hit a mortar line.

Soldato
Yeah that kind of makes sense
I guess if they drill a foot or 2 wide of the
Box on outside wall
They will just tack it into the box

If you were doing it yourself
And wanted as near perfect as possible
I would drill an initial hole
using a very thin drill bit
then drill half inwards and half outwards with
the bigger drill bit

Either way
If you're not happy contact their customer service

Soldato
Nice came home today
And fttp checker shows mine has gone live ;)
Plusnet shows up to 900Mbs
Though openreach says up to 1800Mbs
I guess not many companies yet are doing 1 Gbs or higher
On openreach network
Nice to know it could get faster in the future though
Plusnet price for 500Mbs is basically what I am paying them
For 38Mbs give or take 2 quid

Back
Top Bottom