Finally, we're getting FTTP, woo-hoo!

Associate
Don't think so.

Uncertain.
Oof - might be right (just had a look on the EE community and they are suggesting the broadband is/might be)

Are all the other Openreach providers fine (I care about gaming so would prefer to cancel/delay the order now)?

Edit:maybe but maybe not (there’s a post suggesting the FTTP service may use CGNAT) but also some concerning latency reports, but does anyone have EE/BT or Plusnet broadband and is it ok for gaming?

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Oof - might be right (just had a look on the EE community and they are suggesting the broadband is/might be)

Are all the other Openreach providers fine (I care about gaming so would prefer to cancel/delay the order now)?

Edit:maybe but maybe not (there’s a post suggesting the FTTP service may use CGNAT) but also some concerning latency reports, but does anyone have EE/BT or Plusnet broadband and is it ok for gaming?

He was talking about Gigaclear. EE/BT don't use CGNAT. I had BT FTTP for 2 years and it was fine for gaming.

Soldato
Came home today to find engineers were putting up
Boxes on outside of the building ;)
Said it would be 10 days usually before its live
But some sort of issue so might be bit longer

@Feek
I am also with plusnet
Now the engineers are finally here
Got me wondering what equipment is needed
I have never even taken the plusnet router out the box
Always used my own and an old bt modem
Any idea if plusnet supply a router and modem for fttp?
Or a combined router/modem
Guess I probably need to get the bt modem model number
And Google what speed it can handle too
But hoping to just use my existing bt modem
And my hauwei ax3 cheap mesh set up which is wifi 6

Or am I missing something?
Must admit been waiting so long for fttp
That I have never bothered reading up on hardware requirements

Commissario
OP
Any idea if plusnet supply a router and modem for fttp?
I believe FTTP is presented via an ethernet port. My router (Draytek 2865) has both dsl and ethernet WAN ports so I just configure the ethernet port and plug it in.

Plusnet do supply a router, no idea what it is or how well it works and I don't really care because I won't be using it.

Soldato
I believe FTTP is presented via an ethernet port. My router (Draytek 2865) has both dsl and ethernet WAN ports so I just configure the ethernet port and plug it in.

Plusnet do supply a router, no idea what it is or how well it works and I don't really care because I won't be using it.
Yeah that's about the attitude I have with their router lol
Guessing it's a rebadged home hub possibly
Actually got 2 sitting in boxes somewhere

Pretty sure my ax3 will be OK
Even though they were dirt cheap they're modern
Guess I will concentrate on whether the bt modems up to the job
No idea why I was thinking it was a different connector from ethernet
Perhaps I am getting mixed up with cable and fibre
Or are cable and fttc the same thing anyway lol
Definitely a big gap in my knowledge here

Edit
Bit of reading and I think the ONT
actually replaces/removes the need for the modem
Which would make life a bit easier

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Bit of reading and I think the ONT
actually replaces/removes the need for the modem
Which would make life a bit easier

Yes, that's what I meant when I said it's presented as Ethernet, you just plug it in and don't need a modem.

I just saw a couple of Openreach vans outside and they're working at the pole.

vhSP4zF.jpeg

HaSYdtq.jpeg

Went out for a chat and they were very happy to talk and to be photographed, they went through everything they're doing and they estimate it'll be a couple of weeks until they're ready for ordering. They're on a big push in the area to get it rolled out as quickly as possible.

Soldato
My openreach guys are still
Hard at work
Tacking all the cables in around the property
Outside walls
Surprised but they seem to be
Using a hammer
Would have thought they had a power tool
To do it Would be lot more efficient,/quicker
I didn't photograph them lol

Associate
Hi - Long time no post - happened on this thread while researching, some maybe useful info.

Had Plusnet 900 FTTP installed on Monday. Simple install, pole outside and I wanted to come in at ground level on the facing wall, took about an hour and working straight away.

Their router is very similar to a BT hub 2 but no voip port. Wifi 5 only. Mine is lost in the post somewhere so never used it.
Fibre line comes in, connects to ONT on wall which as mentioned above replaces the modem, ONT has a plug for the 3 pin power adaptor and a standard ethernet port. I got a new Nokia one with a 2.5 gb port.
You can plug it straight into a PC or into a router, if you try plugging an unmanaged switch straight in then everything uses the same IP. A router is the ticket.
I've tried with an AX82-u and an AX55, both worked fine. Reset router, wan type to PPPoE, enter username and password. PC similar, create new dial up connection and enter details.

I'm getting 920-940 down and 110-120 up and 8ms ping with a wired connection according to who's speed test you believe. Can dl off Steam at a steady 115MB on my newer PC which is about 920 or about 415gb an hour. Older PC manages 107MB which seems to be related to the speed of the sata ssd in there. Tried plugging a PC with a 2.5 port in to the ONT to see if there was any extra speed lurking there. There wasn't.

Soldato
@newuser Thanks that was useful
Yeah plusnet told me flat out
They won't be doing voip when I renewed my contract
So not surprised no voip port on their router
I just renewed and dropped the home phone ahead of schedule
Bit surprised actually since BT own plusnet
And BT are doing voip
Wasn't a major issue for me anyway

I still intend bribery on the engineer
Tea,coffee,cake,biscuits,scones with jam and cream :cry:
Whatever it takes lol
Yes I could grab 25 feet of ethernet cable
And go from the ONT round the room to my router
And existing wiring
But I can't get down to tack it to the skirting board
Or get behind the TV,furniture to tack it
And there's NO way my other half would put up with it
If it wasn't neatly tacked to the skirting lol
Not even 1Gbs is worth the ear bashing if I just throw it behind
The TV and sofa :cry: ;):cry:

Soldato
Please can you press the return key a bit less often, your posts are very difficult to read
If they're difficult to read
Imagine how it is at my end in my head
I type as I think
In a staccato fashion
I can't deal with blocks of text

I appreciate not everyone can see signatures
It depends on your settings and device
But most of the guys in here are used to me
By now with my weird typing style
If my posts are helpful should matter more
Than how I type them
And I like to think I have helped a few people in here

Soldato
Even though I use 5G I thought, for 20 years I've lived here and still we do not have decent fixed broadband. Which led me here - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tel...vice-for-consumers/broadband-uso-need-to-know

Our homes use over head copper cables that give a max download of 2-3Mbps and 1Mbps upload.

However after calling the number, unfortunately two things are aginst me. Firstly, we have 4G/5G and that counts as an acceptable service. I did push to say well yes but it has its moments (i.e. mast work / mast congestion / weather / latency) and that in 2024 I should have a reliable fixed line. The chap, very helpful, did some digging and found that the exchange we use is currently in "planning" and that is the second issue, that means they can't help any further. This could stay in "planning" for another 2 years.

Who knows I might get fibre after 22 years. I know what will happen though. They'll do the exchange and that immediate area, but not come down our way, as why would they (too much effort to replace the over head lines) for like a dozen properties which are a mile and half away. Urgh.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
It was interesting speaking to the chaps doing the work up the pole. We talked about how the fibre gets to the house and they were very positive about it coming in overhead, saying they have many more problems with underground fibre than overhead, talking about cables getting damaged, the channel it's dug into getting crushed, etc. Reading other threads here and in other places, a common complaint does seem to be about poor underground install jobs.

Soldato
It was interesting speaking to the chaps doing the work up the pole. We talked about how the fibre gets to the house and they were very positive about it coming in overhead, saying they have many more problems with underground fibre than overhead, talking about cables getting damaged, the channel it's dug into getting crushed, etc. Reading other threads here and in other places, a common complaint does seem to be about poor underground install jobs.
Ohh well that is good to hear that gives me a little hope. Fingers crossed. :)

Back
Top Bottom