Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
I lived in SE Asia for about 8 years so I’ve done a fair bit. Mostly western tip of Java at Ujong Kulon as it is gazetted and not many people about. As a result it is beautiful and mostly unspoilt. Did some pelagic big fish stuff but also lots from the shoreline similar to what you intend. Plenty of trevallis and jacks in the 1-3lb bracket. Great fun on light gear.

I’ve been to Nusa Dua about half a dozen times. You will see on google earth a bunch of waves breaking offshore. That’s actually a natural (I think) sandbank that creates a shallow lagoon which is great for snorkelling. Beyond that it drops off. It’s the drop off or entrance to the bay you will find the larger fish I’d expect. Tides are minimal and you can usually wade out to the sand bank at most times but obviously it’s easier at low tide. Take some decent rubber shoes for wading as coral is sharp.

If you are further south, say hilton or beyond, its more typical beach I think.

I'm taking snorkelling gear so using that to scope out an area is a great suggestion.

I'll have rubber soled sandals for clambering around.

What I'd like to do is find a relatively unspoiled area, like you mentioned, and have some fun catching smaller fish. The south east coast looks quite unpopulated, though I'd have to go right around the bay.

Soldato
Bali update:

Our hotel has a section of beach and to the left is a keyhole gap in the surrounding reef that hotel pleasure boats use as a channel to get out past the reef. It is here that the locals congregate to fish.

PXL-20230919-053908381.jpg

I got out there early one morning when dawn coincided with low tide, and had an hour spinning some soft plastic lures. Didn't catch anything, but had a follow right to my feet before the fish turned away. I also had a hit on a diving lure, again right by my feet, and the fish jumped up out of the water as it struck the lure, but alas no hook up. Had trebles been fitted, I might have hooked into it. I did see a blue starfish when walking back to the hotel.

PXL-20230919-054353202.jpg

There are little man made outcrops nearby with a pergola, and I did an hour at high tide because I'd seen some small reef fish round them when snorkeling.

IMG-20230923-WA0000.jpg

Again, no fish caught, but I did get the tails bitten off 2 of my smallest soft lures :)

Yesterday I took a fast boat to Nusa Lembongan island, a small island next to the larger island of Nusa Penida.

PXL-20230922-071718957.jpg

From here I went out on a small fishing boat with Manu, a fisherman native to the island. He took me about 3km offshore into 200m of water and I caught 2 bluefin tuna, one of about 7lb and another of about 4lb.

PXL-20230922-114223832-2.jpg

PXL-20230922-114241597.jpg

The larger of the 2 gave a good initial run, but with the heavy gear that Manu supplied it wasn't difficult to get them in. Manu also spoke very little English and I couldn't get the concept of catch and release across to him, and as soon as the fish were close to the boat he'd gaffed them through the side and passed my the gaff. Call me a wimp, but it wasn't pleasant watching such beautiful fish die in the bottom of the boat between my feet :(

Anyway, were here for another few days and I might get another chance to sneak off with the travel gear for another hour or two, though I do keep getting reminded: "It's a holiday, not a fishing trip". :)

Associate
i only sea fish now thru the winter ... first signs of cod .. i'll be cleaning my reels and rods this week .. making snoods and off we go into October .. best thing is no tourists :)
Cod are turning up here from the beach already.

Annoyingly I was too sick to get out on the boat this weekend (weather Saturday was glorious). Fingers crossed for this weekend.

I need to get my act together. No rigs made and no bait prepped.

Associate
Was a bunch that turned up on the spring tides at begining of the month round this way too , Worthing, Shoreham and Eastbourne - nothing massive 4-6lb codlings

Associate
I am fancying a wrecking session off Whitby, in the next month.....last x4 trips were all cancelled the night before - due to bad weather.
Always get some decent cod to fill the freezer with :)

Associate
First cod of the season couple of weeks ago
q5Pmdrv.jpeg

Then gar fishing this weekend, tons of them about and had the pleasure of watching a big tuna go mental smashing them to bits 30 yards of worthing pier :D
wp3aeGu.jpeg

Associate
Bali update:

Our hotel has a section of beach and to the left is a keyhole gap in the surrounding reef that hotel pleasure boats use as a channel to get out past the reef. It is here that the locals congregate to fish.

PXL-20230919-053908381.jpg

I got out there early one morning when dawn coincided with low tide, and had an hour spinning some soft plastic lures. Didn't catch anything, but had a follow right to my feet before the fish turned away. I also had a hit on a diving lure, again right by my feet, and the fish jumped up out of the water as it struck the lure, but alas no hook up. Had trebles been fitted, I might have hooked into it. I did see a blue starfish when walking back to the hotel.

PXL-20230919-054353202.jpg

There are little man made outcrops nearby with a pergola, and I did an hour at high tide because I'd seen some small reef fish round them when snorkeling.

IMG-20230923-WA0000.jpg

Again, no fish caught, but I did get the tails bitten off 2 of my smallest soft lures :)

Yesterday I took a fast boat to Nusa Lembongan island, a small island next to the larger island of Nusa Penida.

PXL-20230922-071718957.jpg

From here I went out on a small fishing boat with Manu, a fisherman native to the island. He took me about 3km offshore into 200m of water and I caught 2 bluefin tuna, one of about 7lb and another of about 4lb.

PXL-20230922-114223832-2.jpg

PXL-20230922-114241597.jpg

The larger of the 2 gave a good initial run, but with the heavy gear that Manu supplied it wasn't difficult to get them in. Manu also spoke very little English and I couldn't get the concept of catch and release across to him, and as soon as the fish were close to the boat he'd gaffed them through the side and passed my the gaff. Call me a wimp, but it wasn't pleasant watching such beautiful fish die in the bottom of the boat between my feet :(

Anyway, were here for another few days and I might get another chance to sneak off with the travel gear for another hour or two, though I do keep getting reminded: "It's a holiday, not a fishing trip". :)
Sorry for late feedback, I've not checked in here for ages.
Looks like you had fun, even if the fishing wasn't as good as it could have been.
I'm back in Bali over Easter and you might have inspired me to take a bit of gear with me and try my luck.
Thanks

Soldato
No more printed hard copy rod licence cards.

this is fine but then they need to invest... in ways for local fisheries to verify digital licences.
i have a screen shot of mine and the kids on my phone, but not all have a smart phone and not all with a smart phone can work them.
are lets face it, it very easy to modify a screen shot

my local pond owner im 99% sure the owner doesn't have internet, and i know her phone is a old brick.

Permabanned
this is fine but then they need to invest... in ways for local fisheries to verify digital licences.
i have a screen shot of mine and the kids on my phone, but not all have a smart phone and not all with a smart phone can work them.
are lets face it, it very easy to modify a screen shot

my local pond owner im 99% sure the owner doesn't have internet, and i know her phone is a old brick.

Local fisheries don’t require to put the time or effort in making sure people have them though that’s the thing. We don’t. 3 day ticket people got caught last year and fined and the lake I do the memberships for. Think the total for 3 of them was £1500 between them.

I saw the EA officers walking round and I asked the lads before hand if they had one. They lied to me so I left it up to the EA officers to deal with it.

Unless the EA are willing to donate to clubs to help run it and as you say give access via an app to verify to bailiffs or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH i dont think a single place i go(now day) as ever asked is i have one, or the kids.
when i was younger say 20 years ago they used to ask to see the card when you paid to fish

Last edited:
Permabanned
TBH i dont think a single place i go(now day) as ever asked is i have one, or the kids.
when i was younger say 20 years ago they used to ask to see the card when you paid to fish

Not sure which places you have been to but last year and this year we got checked in total over the two years about 10 times visits. (North East lake). Club run.

Especially the bank holidays.

I don’t know what the E.A plans are. Haven’t heard anything about it.

Commercials and big events have EA presence usually.

Last edited:
Soldato
in in pontefract WF9, there is a few competition lakes within a 30min drive and about 9 local privet pond's
we tend to just flick round them on none match days.

I've only been back into fishing about 9months due to the kids wanting to go, but the summer months it was ever weekend and some mid week visits too.
i genuinely don't recall been asked ones.

Back
Top Bottom