Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Whereabouts in Yorkshire you from?
Just outside Ackworth in Wakefield.
Few nice little well stocked ponds around me. Lads look to be well up for it, they have been out a few times with friends. We went out yesterday and they grabbed 15 little fish and loved it. It’s nice to see them not on phones or pc 24/7

@steve45
Thank for the links, had a look round the shop you links looks bang on so order placed.

Associate
Nice, always great to see kids get into the sport.
Just make sure you take them to weell-stocked venues, so they are guaranteed to catch.
There are plenty around the York area (where I live), only a short drive from you.

Soldato
Wing-man: What other kit are you needing for your lads?
I have quite a bit in the garage, I can list it on here for you (when I get time).
It’s like I’m starting from scratch. I need the lot but I’m not going mad just the basic gear

It hasn't really changed much. No different to how it was 20 years ago except prices. :D
Yer price always changes

Permabanned
I know I have a shakespear box, various rods / poles etc
Garage is like a bombsite though, so I need to pluck up the courage to sort it out :)

I used to have the black shakespear plastic box when I was a kid! I use an octoplus river box now. Octoplus no longer is in business though which is sad.

They could have innovated.

Everything you have will be still useable. Unless it's cracked poles/rods e.t.c. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My brother just told me his oldest son is stopping fishing and he’s got loads of gear to get rid off… oooo really.

I’ll be buying him a pint tonight

Last edited:
Soldato
Off to Bali on Wednesday and, though I've heard that the locals have ruthlessly netted the place, I'm still taking a bit of travel gear to enable me to wet a line. I probably won't catch anything, but I like hard fishing and just being in front of some fairly deep water wondering what's lurking about gives me a thrill.

I've bought a selection of single inline hooks (the eye is inline with the point rather than at a right angle) to replace the trebles on my lures. Trebles have an excellent hook up rate, but they make such a mess of the fish :( If one was fishing for the pot, that's fair enough, clonk it on the head and be done with it, but for catch and release I don't like trebles, even though I'm dooming myself to more missed hits on the lure. If I get a hit..

Also bought some 8 strand braid in 20lb and 30lb to renew my mainlines, which admittedly are ancient.

The hooks are good branded makes, and the lines are from Ali express (but with good reviews on WSF:

PXL-20230904-192910762.jpg

While I was shopping on Ali Express, I found some shameless Black Minnow soft lure knock offs too, at 1/4 of the price of the real thing (The blue ones on the left are genuine) :

PXL-20230909-071839508.jpg

So I bought a bunch of different sizes and colours:

While I was there, I also decided to add some other bits to my slow boat from China order:

40 gram popper (I've already swapped the trebles for singles on this lure):

20 gram "Badger King" diving lure (below an existing lure of mine):

The above lure, being the king of all badgers, apparently, should hook me into a nice Jack Trevally or Yellow Fin. Why wouldn't it? :)

Finally, I bought some new leader lines: 20lb flouro-coated mono to use as lure leaders (I prefer this to pure flouro leader as it flexes better) and some tapered leaders to lob out a bottom bait, if I fancy it.

So this afternoon I'll be replacing lots of trebles with singles while trying not to hook myself and once I've decided which reels to take, I'll get spooled up with new line.

Looking forward to going and not catching anything!!

Last edited:
Associate
Off to Bali on Wednesday and, though I've heard that the locals have ruthlessly netted the place, I'm still taking a bit of travel gear to enable me to wet a line. I probably won't catch anything, but I like hard fishing and just being in front of some fairly deep water wondering what's lurking about gives me a thrill.

I've bought a selection of single inline hooks (the eye is inline with the point rather than at a right angle) to replace the trebles on my lures. Trebles have an excellent hook up rate, but they make such a mess of the fish :( If one was fishing for the pot, that's fair enough, clonk it on the head and be done with it, but for catch and release I don't like trebles, even though I'm dooming myself to more missed hits on the lure. If I get a hit..

Also bought some 8 strand braid in 20lb and 30lb to renew my mainlines, which admittedly are ancient.

The hooks are good branded makes, and the lines are from Ali express (but with good reviews on WSF:

PXL-20230904-192910762.jpg

While I was shopping on Ali Express, I found some shameless Black Minnow soft lure knock offs too, at 1/4 of the price of the real thing (The blue ones on the left are genuine) :

PXL-20230909-071839508.jpg

So I bought a bunch of different sizes and colours:

While I was there, I also decided to add some other bits to my slow boat from China order:

40 gram popper (I've already swapped the trebles for singles on this lure):

20 gram "Badger King" diving lure (below an existing lure of mine):

The above lure, being the king of all badgers, apparently, should hook me into a nice Jack Trevally or Yellow Fin. Why wouldn't it? :)

Finally, I bought some new leader lines: 20lb flouro-coated mono to use as lure leaders (I prefer this to pure flouro leader as it flexes better) and some tapered leaders to lob out a bottom bait, if I fancy it.

So this afternoon I'll be replacing lots of trebles with singles while trying not to hook myself and once I've decided which reels to take, I'll get spooled up with new line.

Looking forward to going and not catching anything!!

I’ve been to Bali loads but never fished there. But I have fished other places in indonesia. Where in Bali are you going? It might be worth taking a snorkel with you and having a recce first. Firstly it is fun but also you will get an idea of what’s in front of you. There’s a fair amount of lure grabbing coral about and if there are fish about they tend to be fairly small. Your lures are mostly fairly large and while you might be lucky and some jacks or trevally might come in you might have more fun with smaller soft plastics. If you could rent a kayak or something you’d have more fun and chance. But this will be tricky with the waves on the SW side of the island.

Good luck.

Soldato
I’ve been to Bali loads but never fished there. But I have fished other places in indonesia. Where in Bali are you going? It might be worth taking a snorkel with you and having a recce first. Firstly it is fun but also you will get an idea of what’s in front of you. There’s a fair amount of lure grabbing coral about and if there are fish about they tend to be fairly small. Your lures are mostly fairly large and while you might be lucky and some jacks or trevally might come in you might have more fun with smaller soft plastics. If you could rent a kayak or something you’d have more fun and chance. But this will be tricky with the waves on the SW side of the island.

Good luck.

@***F1ZZY***

Thanks for your response. Where have you fished in Indonesia and what did you catch?

We're taking snorkelling gear for when messing about on the beach. That's a good ideal about scoping out an area by snorkeling.

We're staying in Nusa Dua which is on the southern tip of the island, facing east.

In addition to the big lure set up I've got lots of small soft lures in the 5-15 gram range. I also have a travel LRF rod, spool of 5lb line and some tiny 1.5gram and 2.5gram jug heads with soft bodies. I've used this method before to tempt small reef fish out of the coral in the Canaries and caught small ornate wrasse, puffer fish etc. which is fun.

For distance fishing from the coast they recommend floating out a bait under a balloon, which I have done before, but looking at the weather forecast the wind is likely to be blowing in off the sea, so it's unlikely I can use this method at our resort area.

Associate
I lived in SE Asia for about 8 years so I’ve done a fair bit. Mostly western tip of Java at Ujong Kulon as it is gazetted and not many people about. As a result it is beautiful and mostly unspoilt. Did some pelagic big fish stuff but also lots from the shoreline similar to what you intend. Plenty of trevallis and jacks in the 1-3lb bracket. Great fun on light gear.

I’ve been to Nusa Dua about half a dozen times. You will see on google earth a bunch of waves breaking offshore. That’s actually a natural (I think) sandbank that creates a shallow lagoon which is great for snorkelling. Beyond that it drops off. It’s the drop off or entrance to the bay you will find the larger fish I’d expect. Tides are minimal and you can usually wade out to the sand bank at most times but obviously it’s easier at low tide. Take some decent rubber shoes for wading as coral is sharp.

If you are further south, say hilton or beyond, its more typical beach I think.

Back
Top Bottom