Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Permabanned
in in pontefract WF9, there is a few competition lakes within a 30min drive and about 9 local privet pond's
we tend to just flick round them on none match days.

I've only been back into fishing about 9months due to the kids wanting to go, but the summer months it was ever weekend and some mid week visits too.
i genuinely don't recall been asked ones.

They going to step up their game with checks. Watch the next few years.

It’s what I got from the E.A officer when I was speaking to him doing the checks around my way.

Soldato
They going to step up their game with checks. Watch the next few years.
It’s what I got from the E.A officer when I was speaking to him doing the checks around my way.

this is good I've always had one so docent bother my and is a good thing.

but brings me back to the first point, when they go unto a 70yo with a Nakia 3330, and his 13yo grand doughtier paid for is licensee online. what then.
when they remove somthing(licensee card) somthing as to be put into place.

Permabanned
this is good I've always had one so docent bother my and is a good thing.

but brings me back to the first point, when they go unto a 70yo with a Nakia 3330, and his 13yo grand doughtier paid for is licensee online. what then.
when they remove somthing(licensee card) somthing as to be put into place.

Paper copy that can be printed out. They can also send a letter. Old style.

It’s the cost of printing a card they recon is expensive.

Last edited:
Permabanned
ooo I'm sorry, when you said they was removing it, i thought it was full digital as with so many things now days.

I suppose they still need to give an option to people who don’t use technology.

Saying that it means they will have to get help when ordering a licence.

I know older generations that don’t have any digital tech at all (Smartphone, Laptop or PC).

Last edited:
Soldato
I know older generations that don’t have any digital tech at all (Smartphone, Laptop or PC).
some do let not put them all in that box, but fishing... i know a lot of older people that fish and live a very basic life style.

I suppose they still need to give an option to people who don’t use technology.
Saying that it means they will have to get help when ordering a licence.

it should still be a post office thing, that where i used to get mine from back in the day and dont see a reason why they cans still do that... they dont want to pay the post office xx% will be the reason

Permabanned
it should still be a post office thing, that where i used to get mine from back in the day and dont see a reason why they cans still do that... they dont want to pay the post office xx% will be the reason

Post Office would want a % for every membership took and I bet they was a disagreement about how much.

Our club went digital so day tickets and memberships get emailed to them. I built the platform. It’s just a payment confirmation but it saves a fortune on membership books, letters and stamps. A lot of other places now use a company called clubmate. It’s a new anglers platform to streamline everything. Works great but clubmate also get a % of every sale.

We have to keep paper tickets at the local shop and that’s 10% per transaction we give for each ticket sale. Memberships can be done there only day ticket sales.

I calculated to send a letter to everyone would be about £250-£350 per bulk send. (stamps, envelops, paper, ink and the cost of time putting the letters in the envelop)

Our members get SMS + FB + Forum communications free where required now.

Last edited:
Associate
I have been fishing all of my life, I am now 51.
I fish frequently every year and I cannot remember the last time I was asked to see my license (yes, I always get one).
Must be at least 20 years since I was last asked.
I mainly fish ponds around the York area (there are plenty of them).
I expect that people will be able to print off paper copies of the digital ticket, I have done that the last few years with mine that I buy online anyway.

Soldato
I’ve been checked a couple of times in recent years, both times the guy had one of those personal security cameras on his chest, (like the cops) and he did it electronically, he just asked for my name and postcode and it came back as ok.

Funny though, as each time about 10 people had to pack up and leave as they didn’t have licenses,

Permabanned
I’ve been checked a couple of times in recent years, both times the guy had one of those personal security cameras on his chest, (like the cops) and he did it electronically, he just asked for my name and postcode and it came back as ok.

Funny though, as each time about 10 people had to pack up and leave as they didn’t have licenses,

The tier 1 enforcement officer come with batons, stab proof vests, cameras and they do have the power to make a citizens arrest if they feel threatened. Then you get the tier 2 who do just general checks.

They did this as there was an increase of threats on the Bankside by anglers who refused to buy licences.

We had an encounter on our lake and tier 1 officers come. 3 lads on day tickets got fined lol. I did warn them they were coming but was ignored and lied too.

Associate
Not done that for 20+ years.....however you have spiked my interest again.
I also fancy a charter out of Whitby, as the last x4 trips we have booked in all got cancelled due to bad weather.

Last edited:
Associate
The last pike I caught was unintentional.
At Myton Grange on the swale, trotting double red maggots under a stick float.
A nice jack of around 9lb - luckily hooked it in the scissors of the jaw so my 2lb hooklength held :)

Associate
Didn't really do much at all in 2023 though i renewed with my clubs to support them and maybe in the hope that i'd get out again.
Maybe this year it'll happen though I have a project car now, so maybe not haha.

Soldato
I did 2 nights on my carp syndicate in the storm (because I'm insane).

Got down on Monday afternoon, 1 fish out since the start of Jan but it was really warm and blowing a good south westerly, fished single solid bags in the softest silt I could find and had a 22lb stockie that night.

The next night was mental, felt like 50-60mph winds - I kept thinking one of the trees was going to snap and crush me in my bivvy, I had literally no sleep - was sat there all night with my little gas heater on.. The wind was so strong it had created so much backflow, that my lines were bowstring tight and going in the opposite direction to the direction of the wind.

It got to the point where I was thinking "This is a waste of time, I should have gone home yesterday" as I was convinced my rigs weren't presenting, due to the wind - even though it's 20-25ft deep. Then out of nowhere the right hand rod melted off, absolutely melter - I went break dancing through the mud in my crocks and latched into a better fish, ended up with a nice 35lb mirror.

I learnt several things that session:

1 - Even if the water is really cold after a long cold snap (5 degrees) a rapid change in temperature and drop in pressure, can really turn them on (my friend caught a small one too) even when the water temp itself is still cold, the fish seem to sense the change in conditions and respond to it.
2 - Staying away from gravel in the winter is a much better bet, it's something I've done more and more over the years - but it really has been giving me good results.
3 - The lakes fish better in the winter the busier they are - leads, spods, people casting, vibrations from people walking around keeps the fishing moving, and stops them from holding up in a single area, if they're moving - they're burning calories and they'll need to eat at some point.

Last edited:
Associate
Having a terrible time in the winter league. Keep drawing bad pegs but worse still i'm just fishing like an idiot. Any used a G90 pole? Think it's time for an upgrade.... that'll fix everything.

Soldato
I'm defo a fair weather fisherman... and im considering going in February. the weather is all boob's up.
i wouldn't normally go till ester weekend.

Any one doing any lake fishing, how it looking out there

Back
Top Bottom