Fixed penalty and 3 points for snow on roof?

Soldato
I nearly got hit this morning by some guy coming the other way who'd had the roof snow fall over his windscreen, he had a tiny window of view in the top corner he was looking through. He had nowhere to stop so it looked like he was just trucking on.
Then 5 miles further there's a woman stopped in the middle of an A road cleaning snow off her windscreen for the same reason with traffic backed up behind her. She had nowhere to stop, so she just stopped.

Fixed penalty would get my vote ;)

Soldato
haha, just recieved the text as i clicked this thread, weird.

Not a chance they'll stop people though, too many crashes and whatnot to attend.

They were sat outside the garage where I work part time last year making the idiots stop and clean it off.

Permabanned
It's only an issue if it's affecting your visibility, surprising how many idiots don't even clear their entire wind screen :-/

MW

Why? :D

317_AceVentura.jpg

Associate
Must say I'm guilty of not clearing my roof, never understand people who don't clear their bonnets though. Get to 30mph and it's like driving in a personal blizzard

I have seen in the past couple of days blizzards following cars around where the roof hasn't been cleared and the car behind (~150 yards) was still in the wake. I always clear mine off so it doesn't land where i'm trying to park when i get back or on the screen when i brake.

Soldato
It is dangerous;

Last year, in my ignorance I decided not to clean ice/snow off my roof as it was properly iced on and solid - I simply didn't want to risk scratching the paint trying to remove it. A mile up the road, I brake and it comes crashing over my windscreen, not only blinding me but putting a small dent in the bonnet as well :(
I don't believe it tbh, perhaps you have like 10x more ( frozen) snow than I think, but when I brake and I have snow on my roof, sure it rains snow, but it doesn't even remotely block the view completely ( and dent your bonnet, seriously, WTF?:confused::confused:) and nothing the wipers can't swipe away in 1 run... Actually found it quite funny the first time I saw it last year. They don't bloody fine people for driving in very heavy rain or hail either do they ?

Indeed, the police plan on clamping down on people not cleaning snow off the car.
Quite frankly I find that retarded. No easier way to clear snow off the roof than to stamp the brake for a sec, removing the snow manually means extreme high risk of creating swirls or even deeper scratches like those morons who use a brush for that.
How about the people who don't clear their lights?
Thats what headlight wipers are for :).

Perhaps you guys are used to heavier snow than I've ever seen around here though...

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite frankly I find that retarded. No easier way to clear snow off the roof than to stamp the brake for a sec, removing the snow manually means extreme high risk of creating swirls or even deeper scratches like those morons who use a brush for that.

Because paintwork is so much more important than road safety.

Leaving the snow on your vehicle for it to come off at speed or when you brake leaves more snow on the road in the former and can become very hazardous to anybody behind you in the latter, while it may not be a specific offense I'd have thought that driving without due care and attention would cover it, but no worries, we wouldn't want anybody to take the extreme high risk of scratching their paintwork would we when we can just create additional hazards on the road instead would we?

Permabanned
I don't believe it tbh, perhaps you have like 10x more ( frozen) snow than I think, but when I brake and I have snow on my roof, sure it rains snow, but it doesn't even remotely block the view completely ( and dent your bonnet, seriously, WTF?:confused::confused:) and nothing the wipers can't swipe away in 1 run... Actually found it quite funny the first time I saw it last year. They don't bloody fine people for driving in very heavy rain or hail either do they ?

Last year, it snowed enough to bring the whole Island to a halt. I had a good 5-6 inches or more covering the car, and 90% of that was simply a block of ice. I know exactly how hard and heavy it is, after it took me so bloody long to clear it from the windscreen.

What happened when I slowed was this block slid off the roof in one lump, shattering into 3 or 4 bits once it hit the scuttle/bonnet.

I think half the problem with the snow fall was the fact it heaved it down through the night, then the next day it stopped, sun came out and the snow had an opportunity to melt a bit - slowly filling in the "fluffyness", then it started snowing heavily again compacting all the previous snow. It was the same story in car parks and unused roads - hard ice covered by a fair bit of snow.

Last edited:
Associate
It's that people are surprised the snow/ice chunk on their roof ends up sliding forwards, in the same way they're shocked when they slide out of junctions because they brake like it's still summer.
It's cold, we use the heater in the car because it's cold. Heat + snow/ice = water (a nice thin film perfect for sliding an entire roofs covering of snow and ice under quite light braking). Throw in some inertia and boom :eek:

Of course some cars slope front to rear of the roof more significantly than others hence it'll slide backwards without much provocation if the car has had time to heat up the cabin.

Just wait a few minutes for the cabin to warm up and push it off or man up and work a bit harder before getting in the car.

Soldato
Because paintwork is so much more important than road safety.

Leaving the snow on your vehicle for it to come off at speed or when you brake leaves more snow on the road in the former and can become very hazardous to anybody behind you in the latter, while it may not be a specific offense I'd have thought that driving without due care and attention would cover it, but no worries, we wouldn't want anybody to take the extreme high risk of scratching their paintwork would we when we can just create additional hazards on the road instead would we?

Tbh, I don't do things I know that will damage my car, even though it may come at the cost of ''road safety'' ( come on you live in the UK, not ****ing siberia or the alps, are you really trying to say you get over 30 inches of snow ?).

Last year, it snowed enough to bring the whole Island to a halt. I had a good 5-6 inches or more covering the car, and 90% of that was simply a block of ice. I know exactly how hard and heavy it is, after it took me so bloody long to clear it from the windscreen.

What happened when I slowed was this block slid off the roof in one lump, shattering into 3 or 4 bits once it hit the scuttle/bonnet.

I think half the problem with the snow fall was the fact it heaved it down through the night, then the next day it stopped, sun came out and the snow had an opportunity to melt a bit - slowly filling in the "fluffyness", then it started snowing heavily again compacting all the previous snow. It was the same story in car parks and unused roads - hard ice covered by a fair bit of snow.
We've has 5 inches of snow around here past year in 1 day too, and while I remember snow falling from my roof ( on purpose I might add because I braked hard to see it happen after being surprised to see it for the first time when braking slightly ), it was nowhere near as you describe it, but then it wasn't frozen and my description is more leaning to ''powder snow'' when it fell off than ''lump of ice''.

I find all the fuss about the snow quite a laugh this year, we've had a bit of snow this year and immediately I see all kind of signs and lamp posts being run down, even though I spend 5 hours per day in a van in the snow this winter I don't go about panicking like some people do... I cetainly refuse to clear my roof of snow if it has some on it, windows and lights yeah, roof, NO, a couple times of accelerating and braking and it's gone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, the police plan on clamping down on people not cleaning snow off the car.

Looks like the LOLZ are on you.

Does it, did I miss a meeting?

Because these texts are implying a specific offense which you'll get a specific punishment for, which is untrue no?

Of course the police will stop you if you're doing something dangerous, but this is akin to those hoax virus emails. Yes, the advice to be vigilant and not open attachments from unknown sources is relatively sound, but it takes a special sort of gullible to see "THIS CAME FROM NORTON THIS MORNING!!!!!!!!" and think 'best forward to everyone in my address book then!'

Soldato
Iirc, in one of the Scandinavian countries, it's illegal to drive your car with more than x" of snow on it.

It takes less than a minute to get the snow of your roof, so I don't see why people don't?

Back
Top Bottom