Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
I haven't had much chance to try my new kit yet as had to go to work, so over Christmas i can put it through its paces

Schiit Asgard 3, BiFrost 2, Loki Mini+
Tygr 300 headphones which i've been using for over a year now, but i do have a few other headsets to test for gaming and music

Beyerdynamics DT880 600 ohm
Hifiman Sundara
BeyerDynamic Amiron Home

Roll on coming home

Man of Honour
Quick update, I think the Topping USB A to Type-C cable that comes with the MX3S is a bit dodgy. I noticed sometimes the display would blink the USB input indicator which is normal for when there's no signal. Restarting powering the amp on or off sorted it, or restarting the PC. Might happen once a month etc.

Today I was wiggling the USB A side on the back of the PC and noticed that the same thing happened. It's a cheap looking cable so I got an Anker Powerline cable as I know the quality of them having bought lots for other devices before. No loss of connection on wiggle.

D4ZOgnM.jpg

Always be dubious of bundled Type-C cables :p

Soldato
Tbh fwiw I don't think it really matters whether you run the G6 in direct mode or without any processing, so all SBX, crystalizer, equaliser settings off. The end result is essentially the same; no processing on the audio source. In terms of pinpoint accuracy I'm not 100% sure on the best settings because people's setups and preferences vary, although for some it will be using virtual surround and down mixing to stereo - which the G6 can do. I think a channel like Fresh Reviews on Youtube may be a starting point, former CS pro who reviewed both the TYGR and 560S and talks about PC audio a lot in his reviews.

I personally prefer the TYGR for it's slightly warmer, less harsh sound although in gaming they are so neck-and-neck. I think the TYGR has the edge on imaging, but detail and soundstage go to the 560S. In terms of other media, the 560S will play stuff with worts and all. And for this it makes some music incredible and other songs not as nice to listen to. The TYGR is better for media watching imho. Both are brilliant but I do think the majority would choose the Sennheiser. Comfort is largely a tie, although the 560S has removable cables.
Hey timber, I got both the TYGR and the HD560S, I have to say for me the TYGR sounds better, has more detail and much easier for positioning than the HD560S, however the HD560S does fit my head better, not that the TYGR dont but it's certainly better fitting.

All in all I think I'll be returning the HD560S and keeping the TYGR, I'm also using these in direct sound mode with no SBX profiles and in low gain.

I've certainly had much better games in apex since using them! Thank you for the recommendation

Soldato
Hey timber, I got both the TYGR and the HD560S, I have to say for me the TYGR sounds better, has more detail and much easier for positioning than the HD560S, however the HD560S does fit my head better, not that the TYGR dont but it's certainly better fitting.

All in all I think I'll be returning the HD560S and keeping the TYGR, I'm also using these in direct sound mode with no SBX profiles and in low gain.

I've certainly had much better games in apex since using them! Thank you for the recommendation
I've always wanted to try the tygr. When I was looking to purchase them you were only able to buy with the mic so just scratched them off the list.
I quite like a Beyer actually, a lot of people aren't keen.
My sound tastes have also changed, always loved a bass heavier headphone and now always use bass light head phones.

Associate

No worries glad to hear. I do think there is a lot to be said for comfort as mentioned. I remember when I got the HD560S earlier this year I was hoping it meant I could drop the TYGRs but there's something about them I quite like so have kept hold of them. The TYGRs also have the edge in not being as fatiguing. It sounds like you found a winner tho which is good.

I've always wanted to try the tygr. When I was looking to purchase them you were only able to buy with the mic so just scratched them off the list.
I quite like a Beyer actually, a lot of people aren't keen.
My sound tastes have also changed, always loved a bass heavier headphone and now always use bass light head phones.

Unfortunately they have gone up in price too. I paid about £120, now £160 on their own. I think that difficulty in getting them is part of the reason they don't get enough love. I'd take these over the DT 990 for gaming any day, even though I liked those when I did have them.

Associate
Hey,

So I'm using the beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R with the steam deck and I notice I have to have the volume on max, but it's still a little under what I'd like. Is it normal to need an amp ?

Also I have the Philips X2HR that I paid £68.99 new, I've seen these now gone up to £140. So I return these for £68 or keep and use for music ?

Soldato
No worries glad to hear. I do think there is a lot to be said for comfort as mentioned. I remember when I got the HD560S earlier this year I was hoping it meant I could drop the TYGRs but there's something about them I quite like so have kept hold of them. The TYGRs also have the edge in not being as fatiguing. It sounds like you found a winner tho which is good.

Unfortunately they have gone up in price too. I paid about £120, now £160 on their own. I think that difficulty in getting them is part of the reason they don't get enough love. I'd take these over the DT 990 for gaming any day, even though I liked those when I did have them.
I pretty much resigned the idea when I was watching them go up in price, Then I bought the T1 gen 2. They dont get a great review from the audiophile community but as a gaming headset, They work wonders!

Soldato
Hey,

So I'm using the beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R with the steam deck and I notice I have to have the volume on max, but it's still a little under what I'd like. Is it normal to need an amp ?

Also I have the Philips X2HR that I paid £68.99 new, I've seen these now gone up to £140. So I return these for £68 or keep and use for music ?

Sounds like you ossibly ned an amp then.
As for the X2HR, If you aren't missing the money, Keep them for that price

Associate
Hey,

I just tried the TYGRs on the Steam Deck with Brotato and although I don't quite need them at full volume there isn't much headroom.

This is what I was trying to say in post #478 but could have been clearer. Both the TYGRs and HD560S need an amp really. Although there are some who claim to use them with Xbox controllers and the Dualsense. With a deck easier to drive headphones are better if wanting to use the 3.5mm port. As I understand it the Deck should work well with any USB C DAC/AMP but that's not ideal as you lose the USB C port then. I can confirm the Soundblaaster X1 works fine with the Deck.

Associate
I'm intrigued on the tygr again. How do they compare to the T1 gen2 you had?
Hard to say really as I'm not sure I had the equipment to get the best from the T1.2. The Tygr beat out the 560s and my Maxwell for FPS by some margin to my ears. Much better soundstage and I find the directional audio much clearer to follow with the Tygr, even in hectic FPS moments. I'd like to try the T1.2 again now though - seeing as I think they would have liked a bit more power/driving than I could give them. I'd expect they would offer a similar experience (although recall directional audio was almost like cheating with them (even with the equipment I had)) for gaming, but would oust the Tygr for music listening for sure.

Maybe I'll search out a pair again!

Soldato
Hard to say really as I'm not sure I had the equipment to get the best from the T1.2. The Tygr beat out the 560s and my Maxwell for FPS by some margin to my ears. Much better soundstage and I find the directional audio much clearer to follow with the Tygr, even in hectic FPS moments. I'd like to try the T1.2 again now though - seeing as I think they would have liked a bit more power/driving than I could give them. I'd expect they would offer a similar experience (although recall directional audio was almost like cheating with them (even with the equipment I had)) for gaming, but would oust the Tygr for music listening for sure.

Maybe I'll search out a pair again!
What do you have to drive your headphones now? Maybe I missed that?
I may try grab a pair of Tygrs to try out now actually. The missus will kill me as I just took delivery of a new black friday laptop. Oops!

Back
Top Bottom