• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce Titan rumours.

Soldato
I just read about the clock speed. Apparently the K20X is passively cooled, hence its low clock of 732mhz. Add a fan or two ......

Or 3. I think it will look pretty similar to the 690, it has to look premium. Shame tbh, id rather have the Asus or Gigabyte cooler on one!

Soldato
I just read about the clock speed. Apparently the K20X is passively cooled, hence its low clock of 732mhz. Add a fan or two ......

Yeah they are passively cooled because they are going into a servers. But these are going to be in really, really cold rooms. So don't let the low clocks and passive cooling fool ya, they still generate a lot of heat.

Soldato
Or 3. I think it will look pretty similar to the 690, it has to look premium. Shame tbh, id rather have the Asus or Gigabyte cooler on one!

Well the pics I saw were basically K20 boards and coolers. Unless some one decided to spend £10k on a couple of cards to pretend they had Titan.

It looks like a cheap plastic blower shroud affair with a green PCB..

I highly doubt Nvidia will come up with a custom cooler for it. That will be down to board partners.

Soldato
I would sooner have a large chunk of copper on mine with water flowing through it :)
If only I had the money to get a watercooling kit for my rig. In the future, unless you care to sponsor me? ;):D

Well the pics I saw were basically K20 boards and coolers. Unless some one decided to spend £10k on a couple of cards to pretend they had Titan.

It looks like a cheap plastic blower shroud affair with a green PCB..

I highly doubt Nvidia will come up with a custom cooler for it. That will be down to board partners.

I dunno if I've pulled this out my arse or not, but wasn't there a rumour that they will be strict on aesthetics and would not allow board partners to change it, like the 690.

Soldato
Yeah they are passively cooled because they are going into a servers. But these are going to be in really, really cold rooms. So don't let the low clocks and passive cooling fool ya, they still generate a lot of heat.

Aw poo I didn't know that :rolleyes:

They also go into workstations and they don't have AC or lots of noisy Delta fans. They can obviously operate in a normal environment without a fan, meaning by adding one the clocks can be raised.

They also need to be reliable (unlike desktop parts) so I am expecting Kepler clocks on these cards.

Associate
Do you think these cards are just likely to be available as reference cards or will other companies be releasing custom versions? (EVGA, MSI, etc)

Soldato
Do you think these cards are just likely to be available as reference cards or will other companies be releasing custom versions? (EVGA, MSI, etc)

Not sure, though all signs point to very low availability so Nvidia may even sell them themselves directly (as they did with the GTX 460 when times were hard).

Soldato
It's meant to be just the reference design, rumors are saying companies won't even be able to put stickers on it.

Soldato
Aw poo I didn't know that :rolleyes:

They also go into workstations and they don't have AC or lots of noisy Delta fans. They can obviously operate in a normal environment without a fan, meaning by adding one the clocks can be raised.

They also need to be reliable (unlike desktop parts) so I am expecting Kepler clocks on these cards.

Sorry, but no, these need to be actively cooled to go into workstations even at those low clocks. The workstation versions come with a fan.

Second, yes they have to be reliable, but remember the most reliable ones are already been used in the K20x, the ones that failed for that are been used in the K20. The Titan will be made from what's left over.

Man of Honour
Its kinda strange that the Titan comes from a failed item.

Its not as such that they are failed items - enterprise level deployment often requires MTBF rates and related service level guarantees that means perfectly working parts will get discarded.

Soldato
Its kinda strange that the Titan comes from a failed item.

Did you see the price for a perfect chip/card :D

Chips are always graded, I assume first for functionality then performance..if it's not fully functional and they can turn that faulty part off and regrade it for another use they can still sell it, It does not mean what's left is faulty.

Soldato
No reason why these can't come cooled like the Asus Ares 7990 with its closed loop water cooler. This is one way of getting clocks up.

Yeap it's one way, heck a good air cooler would let you get decent clocks too I bet. Still doesn't solve the problem of the power use though. Not that it matters to most people, but, staying under the 300W PCI-E spec seems to be the target these days.

So it comes back to the question - will it be voltage unlocked? I am sure most enthusiasts wont care about power use.

Back
Top Bottom