• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce Titan rumours.

Caporegime
OP
:D , That reminds me did you get a chance to try your cards at minimum voltage ?

I forgot but will do it now.

I will drop volts (if it works) and watch at the wall how much power is being used.

@ Retro. Yes mate. I have a feeling these will sell fast, so hence why I want to raise the funds for 2 of them :)

Edit:

Just ran Fire strike with normal clocks/volts and was pulling around 750W on the first test. Dropped the volts and clocks by 100Mv and was pulling around 700W. 50W decreased.

Last edited:
Soldato

I will drop volts (if it works) and watch at the wall how much power is being used.

@ Retro. Yes mate. I have a feeling these will sell fast, so hence why I want to raise the funds for 2 of them :)

Be interesting to see what clocks you can still run and what sort of performance is lost, I wager much less than you think ;)

Should give us an insight into what Titan might bring as it will be lower clocks and volts for sure.

Soldato

Edit:

Just ran Fire strike with normal clocks/volts and was pulling around 750W on the first test. Dropped the volts and clocks by 100Mv and was pulling around 700W. 50W decreased.

Are your cards 1.175v at stock ?....go to the lowest voltage possible

Caporegime
OP
Are your cards 1.175v at stock ?....go to the lowest voltage possible

1.175v and the lowest possible is 1.075v The performance lost was tiny (I did have to drop clocks by 40Mhz for a stable run). The frames were down from ~60 to ~56.

Looking at this, hopefully Nvida lose the "Green" label and stick two fingers up to power efficency.

I was reading Anamdtech earlier and some very vaild points of what we are talking.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2296980&page=22

Page 20 is quite insightful. A little over my head if I am honest but it all makes sense.

Soldato
1.175v and the lowest possible is 1.075v The performance lost was tiny (I did have to drop clocks by 40Mhz for a stable run). The frames were down from ~60 to ~56.

Looking at this, hopefully Nvida lose the "Green" label and stick two fingers up to power efficency.

I was reading Anamdtech earlier and some very vaild points of what we are talking.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2296980&page=22

Page 20 is quite insightful. A little over my head if I am honest but it all makes sense.

Cheers, Interesting, ~10% volt drop ~6% fps drop I've always thought the 680 was pushed past its best efficiency curve...we didn't put that sort of voltage on Fermi cores !

I can't do anything with card voltage, but stock 680 firestrike....
Total pc load
GFX test = 256w
Phsics test =112w
Combined test =263 w

Associate
I use quad sli and don't have a problem, all I care about is getting a minimum of 60 fps with everything maxed. Im not bothered if its inefficient at lower resolutions, at higher resolutions like 2560 x1600 with everything maxed on modern games I get 97%-98% usage on all 4 GPUs.

Gaming is all about getting 60fps or more, if I can not get a min of 500fps @1080p because my cards are running inefficiently who cares. All I want to do is get above a min of 60fps with everything maxed whatever resolution I am using.

Quad SLI is just a brute force approach. I can see you are reaching the 60 fps goal. But maybe you could have reached it spending less money if developers gave a **** about SLI users...

Soldato
Why Titan @ say rumoured £700 @ optimistic 80% speed of a GTX 690 when you can get the latter @ bout same price with 20% more performance? just a thought.

I'd rather pay the premium for a single GPU that's slower than a dual GPU that's faster (slightly) at least in games where SLI/CF scaling is non existant i'm flying ahead.

Caporegime
OP
For someone like me who games in 3 screens in 3D, I need to stay with Nvidia (and want to). The 256 bit memory bus of the 680/670 is fine for 1080P but at 5760*1080, it is limiting. With a 384bit bus of Titan, It will allow 3 screens to perform far better.

The performance needs to be quite significant before I chuck £700+ on 2 of them though.

Associate
What is the rest of your system?

My System:

Case: * *InWIN BLACK DRAGON RIDER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU): * *INTEL® CORE™i7 QUAD CORE PROCESSOR i7-3770K (4.7GHz) 8MB CACHE
Motherboard: * *ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR
Memory (RAM): * *16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card: * *2GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D VISION READY
2nd Graphics Card: * *2GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D VISION READY
Memory - 1st Hard Disk: * *2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
SSD Cache Drive: * *20GB INTEL® SSD 313 SERIES - SLC CACHE DRIVE FOR SYSTEM / 1st HDD
DVD/Blue-Ray Drive: * *10x LG BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply: * *CORSAIR*750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Keyboard: * *RAZER BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE STEALTH
Mouse Mat: * *RAZER VESPULA
Mouse: * *RAZER MAMBA

Caporegime
OP
My System:

Case: * *InWIN BLACK DRAGON RIDER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU): * *INTEL® CORE™i7 QUAD CORE PROCESSOR i7-3770K (4.7GHz) 8MB CACHE
Motherboard: * *ASUS® SABERTOOTH Z77: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, THERMAL ARMOR
Memory (RAM): * *16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card: * *2GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D VISION READY
2nd Graphics Card: * *2GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D VISION READY
Memory - 1st Hard Disk: * *2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
SSD Cache Drive: * *20GB INTEL® SSD 313 SERIES - SLC CACHE DRIVE FOR SYSTEM / 1st HDD
DVD/Blue-Ray Drive: * *10x LG BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Power Supply: * *CORSAIR*750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Keyboard: * *RAZER BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE STEALTH
Mouse Mat: * *RAZER VESPULA
Mouse: * *RAZER MAMBA

Nice :)

I am a little puzzled as to what games you are finding SLI to not scale well in? I haven't gamed much lately but I have been doing some latency and GPU usage tests and found that both my GPU's are scaling very well. The latest drivers 313.95 (313.96) are superb for SLI and multi screens.

Any more info?

Associate
Nice :)

I am a little puzzled as to what games you are finding SLI to not scale well in? I haven't gamed much lately but I have been doing some latency and GPU usage tests and found that both my GPU's are scaling very well. The latest drivers 313.95 (313.96) are superb for SLI and multi screens.

Any more info?

Read my first post at page 5. ;)

The new Beta drivers improved things, but in the Hitman benchmark I average 58 fps with a minimum of 47 (!!!). Before the last patch I had a minimum of 60 fps.

Read my first post for Far Cry details.

I honestly think that if Titan is on par with 690 it will acrually be up to 30% faster at 1080p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom