Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - March 29th, 2024

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Still waiting for this one to hit streaming platforms, but I thought the last one was good enough but if it didnt end in that manner with the classic team turning all up probably would have been meh.

Soldato
Oh dear, fell asleep during this one. I am not sure why it seems to be so highly rated. I thought the direction was poor and it just dragged on for too long without anything happening.

Soldato
As a fanboi, this was an absolute clusterduck.

The opening chase set the scene. Carrie **** and Rudd who were enjoyable in the last film aren’t as serious as they were as mother and would be step father.

Way too many characters. Finn wotshisname from Stranger Things, Lucky, Podcast and yes you Venkman - all these characters were just pointless, wasted and would have helped that English nerd chap who was actually good. He deserved way more screen time.

For a film called Ghostbusters, there’s sod all ghosts or busting being shown bar the slapstick intro chase.

Phoebe is still good, as is Ray and it is great to see Ernie Hudson getting the recognition he deserves.

I was mostly bored watching this. “Later alligator…” <cringe>

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of the Ghostbusters films hardly have any actual ghostbusting.GB1 had slimer and then a montage GB2 was pretty much the same. All busting was in a montage. Afterlife had muncher. 2016 had the dragon ghost and that was really it.

People seem to forget that.

But yes there was a lot of characters in FE.

Soldato
I watched this last night, I don't mind a bit of braindead popcorn fun once in awhile but this was just tedious.

It felt like a low-mid tier Marvel movie or something, I didn't find any of the cast particularly compelling and can't say I cared about anything that was going on.

sg0

sg0

Associate
Disappointing. Afterlife was better. Bit sick of the "pin our hopes on the teenage spengler" narrative. Also agree that there are too many characters needing face time.

Just feels like they make movies for the actors that need promoting and not the other way round.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As a fanboi, this was an absolute clusterduck.

The opening chase set the scene. Carrie **** and Rudd who were enjoyable in the last film aren’t as serious as they were as mother and would be step father.

Way too many characters. Finn wotshisname from Stranger Things, Lucky, Podcast and yes you Venkman - all these characters were just pointless, wasted and would have helped that English nerd chap who was actually good. He deserved way more screen time.

For a film called Ghostbusters, there’s sod all ghosts or busting being shown bar the slapstick intro chase.

Phoebe is still good, as is Ray and it is great to see Ernie Hudson getting the recognition he deserves.

I was mostly bored watching this. “Later alligator…” <cringe>

That's a criticism that's surfaced a lot, far too many characters, and far too little actual ghost busting. According to Ernie Hudson they even asked Rick Moranis to come back for this one and he declined, so that would have been another character to add to the already double digit compendium of characters on show. The only ghostbusting as said is right in the intro, and Sony have the intro bust on YouTube as the extended look at the movie. So anyone thinking its a promising start would probably be scratching their heads come the end as that's really the only Ghost they catch.

Most of the Ghostbusters films hardly have any actual ghostbusting.GB1 had slimer and then a montage GB2 was pretty much the same. All busting was in a montage. Afterlife had muncher. 2016 had the dragon ghost and that was really it.

People seem to forget that.

But yes there was a lot of characters in FE.

That's going back 40 years ago though, its not like they need to adhere to that formula of 1 bust per movie pretty much. It was fine for the original but these days its just like an ancient theme they're sticking to for whatever reason and this movie basically shot its ghost busting load right at the start, then we've almost a 2 hour wait to see any more action. There's no real reason why we can't go on at least a couple of busts during the movie, we see ecto going out on jobs while Phoebe is benched, I'd have been more interested to see those vs mopey teen.

The running theme of every GB movie to date has been 'world ending threat incoming', and the 'big bad' showing up at the ass end of the movie with minutes left, something new vs reusing a similar template over and over would be nice.

Associate
Haha, was hoping this one would be child friendly enough to get my 6 year old to watch it. Can't believe the originals were rated 15, going to go back and watch them for suitability... research purposes

Associate
Watched this last night and thought it was a 5/10 film. Is it just me but what happened to the excellent soundtracks that used to be in films? Had to go back to the original just to see what difference it made to some of the major scenes and it made them so much better.

Back
Top Bottom