Gigabit Internet Speedtest

Soldato
For those that wish to know here is a gigabit internet speedtest result obtained when testing against the nearest server...

2433820389.png

So now you know what to expect from a gigabit fibre optic connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Then they should not be selling it as 1Gb, as you can't actually get that.

Wouldn't be the first time a broadband supplier over sold their service. Technically they can call it a gigabit because it is based on gigabit technology even if you cannot actually attain that speed.

Its like when I had 512kbit/s ADSL which if you convert to bytes by dividing by 8 you get 64Kbytes/s. I never saw a download above 55Kbytes/s meaning the connection was maxed out 440kbit/s a little way off the theoretical 512kbit/s.

Soldato
Yes but overheads on a gigabit link should see you reaching throughput somewhere in the region of 900 to 960Mbit/sec, not 565Mbit/sec.

It's true that it's still very fast, but it shouldn't be sold as gigabit if customers are expected to see over 400Mbit 'overheads'. A few percent overhead is a reasonable expectation but 44% is not :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's like advertising broadband as up to 8Mb, when the max one can get is actually 7.15!

While I agree that the ATM overheads thing was a bit of a joke, at least 7.15Mbit was 89% of the maximum. In this case the result is 56% of the maximum.

However let's be honest. If you're seeing over 500Mbit on a home connection then you're going to be more than happy anyway. There's also the possibility that speedtest.net's servers are actually a bit crap and you'd see higher throughput from elsewhere.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't be the first time a broadband supplier over sold their service. Technically they can call it a gigabit because it is based on gigabit technology even if you cannot actually attain that speed.

Its like when I had 512kbit/s ADSL which if you convert to bytes by dividing by 8 you get 64Kbytes/s. I never saw a download above 55Kbytes/s meaning the connection was maxed out 440kbit/s a little way off the theoretical 512kbit/s.

The speedtest in the OP is bits per second. A 1 Gbit connection can reach 1Gbit download speed.

There are technical reasons which means that *only* 564mbit/s download is really rather good.

Please, enlighten me as to what these technical reasons are.

Last edited:
Soldato

Its not the first time, but that doesn't make it right.

The OP is getting almost half what he is paying for!

Back
Top Bottom