Gigabit Internet Speedtest

Soldato
OP
My brother and I live in Jersey and up until a couple of months ago we both had this speed connection...

65d6b952-37a7-467a-8060-6b94609074b2.png

At some point recently they have upgraded our speeds for free and I'm now getting this...

9146412518.png

Even more recently during the coronavirus they have temporarily increased everyone to a gigabit connection and I am now getting this...

9200668831.png

However my brother who is with the same ISP and fibre connection has noticed his speeds have decreased...

GV4vadd.png

Any idea what it could be, I've noticed his upload speeds have increased which would suggest he has been upgraded to the gigabit speed but the speeds he is getting are woefully under what one should expect.

Soldato
OP
Ask him to try a different computer if possible and a different cable too.

He’s tried a droid box wired to the router with a different Ethernet cable and also his iPhone 11 right next to the router. I can get over 600 mbit/s with my iPhone XR right next to router.

Caporegime
Describe the topology. A lot of people say "I'm wired in" when they actually mean "I am plugged into a powerline extender and forgot about it"

Soldato
OP
Describe the topology. A lot of people say "I'm wired in" when they actually mean "I am plugged into a powerline extender and forgot about it"

Its just a droid box wired with an Ethernet cable directly into the router in the same room, and a games PC upstairs which is connected directly to the router downstairs via an Ethernet cable through the ceiling.

He doesn’t have any power over Ethernet devices and besides he’s tried the WiFi of his iPhone 11 and that gives same low results, as I said my iPhone XR gives me over 600 mbit/s when standing next to router.

We both have Netgear Nighthawk routers mines the AC1900 one his is AC1750 I believe, it’s the one that’s one below the AC1900 anyway.

Soldato
OP
The router and ONT are two separate devices, the ONT is also the modem and then you either take their supplied modem less router or buy your own. They always supply and install their own ONT and then you’ve only got control of the router.

The router has been setup the same way since we both had 236 mbit/s down and I’ve not needed to reconfigure anything on mine through the recent speed changes, as I say we have similar Netgear routers that we bought ourselves.

Soldato
OP
Check that WiFi is definitely disabled.

He’s definitely not using WiFi. He’s running a CAT 5E cable from games PC upstairs directly into the router downstairs through the ceiling and a short CAT 5E from the ONT into the routers WAN port.

CAT 5E is guaranteed for a gigabit over 100M so is well capable of supporting a gigabit Fibre connection.

He has also tried the Technicolor TG589 vac v2 router that the ISP provided when he first took out his subscription and apparently its even worse.

Last edited:
Don
To rule out cables, run a new temporary cable redirect from the router, up the stairs etc into the pc.

That ~180Mbps on the upload and download smell like powerline adaptors to me...

Associate
This could just be local congestion, GPON is 2.5Gbit downstream 1.25Gbit up within the same PON and you can split this out to upto 128 ONTs. If he’s in a building or area with a lot more subscribers it’s possible it’s just that

Have him run a test at 3AM and see if anything looks different?

Back
Top Bottom